What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Win XP SP2 Released

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
Win XP SP2 Released
Author: Message:
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Win XP SP2 Released
I just came across this on Neowin and posted it in mIRC, figure I should post it here too. It's all the programs that have compatability issues with SP2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=88...oduct=windowsxpsp2

Some ones of note include: Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, Norton Antivirus 2003,   Norton Systemworks 2003 - GoBack Personal Edition,  Norton Systemworks 2003 Professional Edition, and  McAfee VirusScan v4.51
08-15-2004 08:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
BEWARE^^

I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Re

37 / Other / –
then i hope some games will still be able to play without going to crash:S
[Image: .jpg]
if you need help with unrealircd tell me and i will help ya out.
08-15-2004 08:13 AM
Nemesis

Your mind says I'm here... am I?

37 / Male / –
Has no one else had the problem I'm having?

I download the Express Install, it installs until the point after it's done an inventory of the system, and where it starts to download the components and things that your computer needs when it comes to a message saying it can't connect to the server...

However, I got the Automatic Update notification today, pressed download and the window disappeared... nothing has happened with or to it since. This also happened to a friend of mine.

:s

This post was edited on 08-19-2004 at 08:01 PM by Nemesis.
[Image: signem.png]
08-19-2004 07:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
B-HLQ

– / Male / –
Huh?  RE: Win XP SP2 Released
How come everyone has installed Win XP SP2? I just tried to download it from Windows Update website but it doesnt say anything about SP2, although the layout of the site has changed.
08-20-2004 05:59 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
It's still not available in all languages.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
08-20-2004 07:13 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Win XP SP2 Released
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
It's still not available in all languages.

Might wanna read this

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/08/18/HNholesinsp2_1.html

the URL says that Researches Found 2 Holes in XP SP2 already
08-20-2004 07:40 AM
s7a5
Veteran Member

O.P. RE: Win XP SP2 Released
quote:
Originally posted by B-HLQ
I just tried to download it from Windows Update website but it doesnt say anything about SP2, although the layout of the site has changed.

quote:
The first computer owners to get Windows XP Service Pack 2 began receiving it on Wednesday night, Microsoft said. The update is being sent to people who have the automatic update feature turned on in the operating system. But it will take at least a few weeks to deliver the 80-plus megabyte patch to the installed user base, a company representative said on Thursday.
08-20-2004 07:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Might wanna read this

Don't know what that has to do with the languages :), but, I wouldn't say those are "holes", they are just bugs, and very small ones I think (if it could allow an attacker to remotely execute code, then it would be a big one...)
08-20-2004 03:49 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Win XP SP2 Released
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Might wanna read this

Don't know what that has to do with the languages :), but, I wouldn't say those are "holes", they are just bugs, and very small ones I think (if it could allow an attacker to remotely execute code, then it would be a big one...)

Security firm Secunia has detailed a new flaw in Internet Explorer that affects users running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The vulnerability involves drag-and-drop, which can be used within a Web page to place a malicious program in the Windows startup folder.

Secunia has branded the issue "highly critical" and says it comes from "insufficient validation of drag and drop events issued from the 'Internet' zone." Users are advised to disable Active Scripting, or use a Web browser other than Internet Explorer.

The security researcher who discovered the flaw has posted proof-of-conccept code, which involves dragging an image across a Web page. But Secunia says it could be simplified to require just one mouse click.

Microsoft, however, brushed off concerns over the potential issue. "Given the significant amount of user action required to execute an attack, Microsoft does not consider this to be a high risk for customers," the company said.

URL to read it. http://www.betanews.com/article/1093035994

another Post

Microsoft has released the first hotfix for SP2, even before it's long-awaited massive upgrade patch has fully been distributed to all users. The new hotfix is aimed at an IP address connection issue which surfaced shortly after SP2 had made it's debut.

Rob Enderle, principal analyst for technology analysis firm The Enderle Group, stated, "Writing software is a complicated endeavor done by humans, [and] we don't see SP2 as the be-all and end-all, that there will no longer be a need for future patches."

The new hotfix for SP2 patches a problem that the service pack created for some users of virtual private networks (VPN). Though the problem pertains to only a small amount of XP and SP2 users, Microsoft was quick to release the first of what is sure to be several more hotfixes

This post was edited on 08-21-2004 at 02:23 AM by Hank.
08-21-2004 02:17 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
:blah!: Another Internet Explorer bug, not that risky though, but, get Firefox and problem solved...

Why does it seem to me you're anti-Microsoft? Oh yeah, "Fed0ra C0re Linux"... :) (If you like Linux, that's fine, but no need to start bitching at Microsoft, and I'm being objective here).

Well, we're going off-topic here, so end of this discussion. :)
08-21-2004 02:25 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: