What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB
Author: Message:
poedguy

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB
It is Plus! even when i install a new version of VB (default install) on another computer and compile a program (With an XP Visual Style Manifest) with Plus! running it has the same problem, so don't blame my computer.

Also when i don't have Plus! running in the background i don't have the problem.

This post was edited on 08-15-2004 at 08:56 AM by poedguy.
08-15-2004 08:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB
Patchou didn't blame your PC, you could consider it a VB bug. Visual Basic thinks MsgPlusH.dll is needed, however, MsgPlusH.dll just uses a unusual hooking method but that doesn't mean it is needed, Visual Basic is wrong in that. You could try to contact Microsoft about it or just leave Plus! closed while you are developing.

I think Patchou just ment that it's Microsoft to fix it if needed, not Patchou/MsgPlus!.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-15-2004 04:51 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

VB6 is not supported starting from 2005. MS will tell you not to use Plus!, so your post MenthiX had no sence.

I'll have to check this, when I have time.
08-15-2004 06:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
eckocomplex and poedguy didn't say they were using VB6, they could very well be using a new version. But even if they do use VB6, the thing is that it's not Plus! what should be fixed.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-15-2004 06:49 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
If there's a bug somewhere here, it'S in VB, not in Plus!. Maybe VB checks the DLL loaded in memory when the process starts and just assumes that all of them are dependencies... it's not my fault if VB is dumb enough to do that (not that I have anything against this language, it's just a fact). It means you would have the same problem with any other application using system hooks.

This post was edited on 08-16-2004 at 07:54 AM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-16-2004 07:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
If there's a bug somewhere here, it'S in VB, not in Plus!. Maybe VB checks the DLL loaded in memory when the process starts and just assumes that all of them are dependencies... it's not my fault if VB is dumb enough to do that (not that I have anything against this language, it's just a fact). It means you would have the same problem with any other application using system hooks.
I'm not sure, but you might have problems with norton utilities too =/
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
eckocomplex and poedguy didn't say they were using VB6, they could very well be using a new version. But even if they do use VB6, the thing is that it's not Plus! what should be fixed.
eckocomplex uses vb6 in MD, trust me. And if it was vb.net they would have specified?
08-16-2004 12:02 PM
eckocomplex

– / Male / –
m_e is right. But out of 200,000 users noone has reported MD needing the plus hook DLL...
08-17-2004 11:33 AM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

those 200 000 use/have used plus before maybe?

What could also be possible is that you don't use the DLL at run-time, therefore it won't be used. like API calls, if you're using a non-existing library, you don't get an error until you call the function
08-17-2004 12:08 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Hum.... again, I'm not a VB programmer but I guess it has something to do with the Package Distribution software (or whatever it's called now :p). I'm pretty sure that VB itself won't add any DLL to its referrences, especially not DLL like mine that do not export any ActiveX object. HPoedguy probably uses the distribution wizard and this one is probably the one that is making strange things to the VB executable.

Also, I remind everybody that there's nothing to use in the MsgPlusH DLL directly, it doesn't export any API.
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-17-2004 04:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
poedguy

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: MsgPlusH.dll adds itself as a dependency in any EXE compiled with VB
I'm not using the crappy PD wizard, and never have. I use InstallShield. But it still has nothing to do with the distribution, it is when compiling. And there are actually some APIs in MsgPlusH: MessengerPlusGlobalHook and SetGlobalHook are some.

But my programs don't call any Messenger Plus! APIs, although when i do not include a Visual Style Manifest I do not have the problem. There must be something wrong with MsgPlusH.dll, VB and uxtheme.dll.
08-17-2004 05:22 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: