What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2
Author: Message:
dr del

mild mannered alchoholic

56 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2
hi there,

was hoping someone can help with this problem,

sp2 installs fine with msgplus installed but afterwards you are unable to close the windows messenger prog.
it says another process is using the features provided by windows messenger.

i spent ages try into find the cause for this ( the net suggests its caused by integration with norton anti-virus and outlook 2002 - neither of which i use)

i uninstalled msgpus and the problem disappears.

i have tested this on 3 seperate computers - 2 updated to sp2 from previous sp1 and one fresh install using a slipstreamed media.problem is identical on all systems.

im using 3.01.94 and once you install sp2 your windows messenger version is 4.7.3000.

can anyone suggest anything?

dr del
right .now you want to DELiver the files to the backup server so...
08-14-2004 09:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2
sys. restore to before you installed SP2, and wait for the Official release is all I can think of, but I'm sure someone else has better advice

This post was edited on 08-14-2004 at 10:04 PM by Joe.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
08-14-2004 10:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
sys. restore to before you installed SP2, and wait for the Official release is all I can think of, but I'm sure someone else has better advice
SP2 is officially released already :p

You sure you aren't running any other processes? Windows Messenger and Plus! often don't work that well together.. don't really know a solution
08-14-2004 10:17 PM
dr del

mild mannered alchoholic

56 / Male / –
O.P. RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2
hey dude,

nah its no biggie - only playing with sp2 on the spare comps to identify any problems before i try it on the main machine :D

already learned i have to uninstall daemon tools and alcohol before installing but that they work fine once its in and theyre re-installed.

this is the final release of sp2 by the way - its the release to manufacturers version . the redistibutable is the only option for me as im on dial up and trying to update every computer on the network works out about the same time on the download  witrhout the advantage of having a backup copy on disk or a slipstreamed media to avoid having to do it all again at some point in the future.

your advice about making a restore point should be heeded though  :) sp2 makes it own on during install it claims but i for one wouldnt trust it as far as i could comfortably spit a rat.

**edit**

hey kryptonate

maybe ive just been lucky but ive bin using messenger plus with windows messenger for years - you dont get some functions but thats about it.

i have pretty much savaged the process list during the testing process for this - even stopping msgplus process doesnt help - you actually have to uninstall the program to get the error to dissapear.

**/end edit**

dr del

This post was edited on 08-14-2004 at 10:32 PM by dr del.
08-14-2004 10:21 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
The only thing I can think of is that you have a defective plugin installed on your system. If that's not it, well, I'll have to fix the bug :). As long as it doesn't create any side effect, it's not that important though (at least, not enough to justify an immediate patch).
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-15-2004 03:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
dr del

mild mannered alchoholic

56 / Male / –
O.P. RE: mesenger plus 3 conflicts with xp sp2
hey dude,

i agree its not that big a deal - you just have to use the 3 finger salute if you want to exit messenger. :)

i can honestly say ive never installed any plugins (or sponsor programs either :$ )

can i assume from the lack of posts in the forum this in no way affects msn?

i had avoided that because people always said they got pop ups and i have never had one with windows messenger (too lame to flame probably )

dr del
08-15-2004 03:58 AM
anand

Yes I never saw this problem with msn, probably this is more related to windows messenger...
08-15-2004 04:37 AM
university_guy

39 / Male / –
I have sp2 and currently have not had any trouble at all but i noticed that i use Windows Messengar 5 and you said 4.7

Try downloading Windows Messenger 5
08-16-2004 06:28 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

are you sure it's not a connection issue? when signing out and exiting msn it waits before it got an answer from the server, which sucks badly in MSN.
08-16-2004 06:37 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by university_guy
i use Windows Messengar 5 and you said 4.7
quote:
Originally posted by dr del
once you install sp2 your windows messenger version is 4.7.3000

Windows Messenger 5 is diffrent then Windows Messenger 4.x. If Windows Messenger 5 was a replacement for the 4.7.x series then Microsoft would have already put that one in SP2. Windows Messenger 5 is aimed at people who use an exchange account to chat over the corporate network. Windows Messenger 4.7.3000 is the latest version around in this serie and should be fully supported, by Plus! too in my opinion.

Windows Update confirms this story BTW, at least when you update a Windows XP (SP1  or lower) machine at Windows Update it will ask you to install 4.7.x and not the 5.x serie.

This post was edited on 08-16-2004 at 06:44 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-16-2004 06:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: