What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion
Author: Message:
Grue

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion
quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
I have an ugly hack. No let me elaborate... it's ugly.

1) Create a file name "Hotmail.cmd" somewhere...
write in it:

@C:\Program Files\maxthon.exe http://www.hotmail.com

(or where the hell your x browser exe is)
2) Login to your Hotmail account... Click "Sign me in automatically" at the login page.

3) Regedit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} \LocalServer32

and change the reg key to "C:\....*your directory*...\Hotmail.cmd"

It's ugly.
Have I told you it's ugly yet?

Okay I did all of this and when i click to go to my email inbox in messenger it flashes this command prompt with nothing in it that says at the top C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe. It flashes it for like a millisecond then it does nothing. I tried it with both a .cmd file and a .bat, both of which do the exact same thing. It also does this exact same thing when i open Hotmail.cmd and Hotmail.bat

.jpg File Attachment: screenshot.jpg (14.78 KB)
This file has been downloaded 115 time(s).
08-25-2004 11:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Grue

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
basically, I've told you the key that needs to be modified for the hack to work. all you got to do is figure out a way to ask your default browser to open www.hotmail.com. I'm not a batch script expert so I can't really help you in this. but I tried it with firefox a few days ago, and it works. In theory, it should be no different for any browser but maybe maxthon takes the parameter slightly differently from firefox, I don't know.
Experiment with the .cmd file. Personally I don't know the difference between .cmd and .bat so if anyone can enlighten me to it I'll be grateful.

edit: To see the "DOS" thingy window put ' @echo on ' as the first line of the .cmd file. The output might be useful to help you to debug this.

Sweet! I got it working! Turns out that i needed to put C:\Program Files\maxthon\maxthon.exe in quotes. Thanks for your help
08-26-2004 09:12 PM
tj07

O.P. RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion
(sorry I'm a bit late) but Grue - does this work for regular links in messenger chat windows now, too??

//EDIT: Oh, when I tried this before (attempting to use a .cmd...) it broke my links in messenger chat windows ... just so you know, but a reinstall will prolly fix it.

little update - it didn't fix it. i can't click links in windows...at all...

This post was edited on 08-29-2004 at 02:04 AM by tj07.
08-29-2004 12:33 AM
Grue

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by tj07
(sorry I'm a bit late) but Grue - does this work for regular links in messenger chat windows now, too??

Hmmm... I didn't notice before now but when I click a link in a chat window, it just opens hotmail.com. Its alright though as i don't recieve that many links in chat windows, and its not hard to copy and paste. It would be nice though if there was a different key to change instead that would fix this problem.

quote:
//EDIT: Oh, when I tried this before (attempting to use a .cmd...) it broke my links in messenger chat windows ... just so you know, but a reinstall will prolly fix it.

So you said you didn't know how to create a cmd file, but that you changed the registry key to maxthon right? That is probably why the links don't work. You need to go back to regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} \LocalServer32 and change that reg key to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE  That should fix your problems.  Or if you want i can tell you how to make a cmd file and you can get hotmail to open with maxthon even though the links in conversation windows will not work. Just ask me if you want.

quote:
little update - it didn't fix it. i can't click links in windows...at all...

What other links can't you click in windows? The ones from msn messenger at what others?
08-29-2004 06:27 AM
tj07

Oop, yep, thanks for making me go check that. I accidentally hit ';' instead of ':'. Thanks! But now if only we could get these links to open in our faithful Maxthon! :'( :P
08-31-2004 09:49 PM
Grue

– / Male / –
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion
Yeah I could try to get a registry watcher and try that, but the question is that if I uninstall, then reinstall messenger, would it delete this registry key? or would it just keep the key then use it when i reinstall messenger?
I too wonder how TB was able to do it...

This post was edited on 09-03-2004 at 04:09 AM by Grue.
09-03-2004 04:07 AM
Grue

– / Male / –
I couldn't delete the key manually because i dont know which key it is... right? Isn't that the point of trying  a registry watcher? which btw i couldn't find a good one of.... so now i am pretty clueless...
09-03-2004 09:01 PM
tj07

Oh, if the key you're talking about that would "recreate the key on reinstallation" is the one we tried before, changing it to Maxthon.exe instead of IEXPLORE.EXE, then no, it doesn't work. I reinstall messenger, and it did NOT fix the key, and yet until I figured out what I did wrong (hit ; instead), links in chat windows wouldn't work. Curse you Microsoft *shakes fist*!
09-03-2004 09:50 PM
Grue

– / Male / –
No we are not talking about that key... we are thinking that there might be a different key to change instead of that one which would allow the links clicked in the chat window to actually open those instead of opening hotmail.
09-03-2004 10:02 PM
tj07

I gave it a shot, cuz, well I'm really bored lol. But I tried it, and couldn't find any relevent keys. Maybe I don't understand them entirely, but there were only maybe three that it went for - one was the one that was discussed, another one that ... doesn't exist, yes seems to be able to access it, however the attempt -right- after it always fails. One nice thing about that app, buq, is that you can double click something and it'll take you right to that regkey. Notice: I tried doing this with just messenger running, and then I typed a link, waited a quarter to a half second (that's all it takes to have literally hundreds or even thousands of accesses for different apps) and 'captured' it. I couldn't find anything :-/
09-04-2004 04:41 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: