What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact??

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact??
Author: Message:
saintgtril

O.P. RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact??
Thanks Matt and Chrono, cos i dont really get what Matt is when he enlighten me, as to why i have to do that. Is it proof to work? :P
09-23-2004 07:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact??
[Image: attachment.php?pid=311736]

You wanted to know if the person set their status or if the computer is idle and Messenger set it. Well as you can see by the screenshot two people are idling, meaning they haven't touched their computer in x many minutes and Messenger detected it and set their status to idle (or away with an unmodified exe)

Like i said in my previous post, if your contact sets their status Messenger will not override it with idle. So when the status is actually idle (like in my screenshot) means they are away cause there is no user activity on the computer. Does that make sense at all?

.gif File Attachment: Idle.gif (14.26 KB)
This file has been downloaded 579 time(s).
09-23-2004 07:36 AM
saintgtril

O.P. RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact??
Thanks Matt, that was an utterly detailed explaination, with screenshot attached too. Thumbs up for you.

Anyway, will my contacts be able to use this against me (they didnt apply the hack), and i did??

Another question, this is an append to my last thread, is there a way to tell how long a contact has been "idle" just like yahoo messenger?
09-23-2004 08:10 AM
extrodity

38 / Male / –
No, this will not apply to your contacts. They need to modify thier exe to see you as "Idle"

As far as i know, there is no way to tell how long, unless you looks at the events log, and see when they were "Flagged as idle" then work it out from there :)
09-23-2004 10:00 AM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by extrodity

As far as i know, there is no way to tell how long, unless you looks at the events log, and see when they were "Flagged as idle" then work it out from there :)

Maybe there's a way using plus! custom nicks feature.
For example plus! or a plug-in or a patch can read the idle start time in the events log and add it to the custom nick using a variable (current pc time minus idle start time = how long a contact has been idle).
Maybe this can be added in the next plus! version because there are no need to modify messenger executable, idle status can be checked using event log

P.S.
is there an "idle patch.exe" to make modifications matty suggested automatically?

thanks
09-30-2004 11:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by provolino
is there an "idle patch.exe" to make modifications matty suggested automatically?
yes and no....

No, because those modifications involve changing resources:
1) Resources are different for each language
2) Because they are resources and the changed string can be different in length then the original string (because of the languages), you can't simply patch them without recompiling the whole DLL (and recompiling is exactly what ResHack does for you...).

Yes, because it isn't totally impossible to write a patch program for that, but for only such small things it is rather useless to spend so much time in programming them. (remember, you need to program a complete resource compiler also!). And what Matty described in 13 detailed steps is only a 30 secs very easy and straitforward job which you only must do once.

There once will be a patch for this, I'm sure, but it must include a resource compiler also. It wouldn't be a simply "change byte x in y" patch.

This post was edited on 02-25-2006 at 02:26 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-30-2004 12:10 PM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
no, because those modifications involve changing resources.

1) The resources are different for each language
2) Because they are resources and the changed string can be different in length then the original string (because of the languages), you can't simply patch them without recompiling the whole DLL. And that is exactly what ResHack does for you...

It isn't impossible to write a patch program for that, but for such small things it would be useless to spend so much time in programming them. (remember, you need to program a complete resource compiler also!). And what Matty described in 13 detailed steps is only a 30secs very easy and straitforward job which you only must do once.

Yes, I made the modification without problems, the patch is for my friends, they are almost newbie and cannot use resourse hacker or similar software...it simpler to double click on .exe for them :)
thanks anyway for your support

About my idea to integrate idle time in next version of plus! what do you think? It seems to be easy to implement... how can suggest it to patchou?
thanks
09-30-2004 01:01 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
About my idea to integrate idle time in next version of plus! what do you think?
It has been suggested before. And I also think that that would be a nice thing.

quote:
It seems to be easy to implement... how can suggest it to patchou?
You just did by posting this ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-30-2004 01:28 PM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
quote:

It has been suggested before. And I also think that that would be a nice thing.

I prefer to not hack messenger files if possible and if this feature will be integrated in plus! there are no more needs to modify .exe/.dll :D

quote:

You just did by posting this ;)

I Hope patchou will read this thread ehehehhe :)
09-30-2004 01:37 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
Don't you guys think a feature like this is a bit privacy invading? When you set your status to 'Away', it's obviously because you want your contacts to leave you alone for a while.. With a feature like this, they could determine if you were there anyway and start saying, "Hey, why aren't you answering me? I know you're there, man..."

Seriously, that would suck ***... :^)
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
09-30-2004 02:25 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: