What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Poll: Do you think these options for Desktop Contact's should be implemented?
Yes
No
Not too bothered
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature
Author: Message:
XM4ST3RX

DJ Scoop!

37 / Male / –
O.P. Happy  Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature
Hi,
    just thought i'd suggest a couple of cool features which would be good if implemented.

#1:
   Desktop Contact Grouping - Desktop contact's will be able to be group'd into a nice, neat, tidy row.  (would also be good if it had an option to drag all contacts together in the row).

#2:
   Group by status - Contacts will be able to be group'd by status, i.e Online first, Busy second, BRB third etc. and also an option to not show offline desktop contacts

Please view screenshot for example... also please vote on poll

Thanks.

.jpg File Attachment: desktop_contacts.JPG (18.69 KB)
This file has been downloaded 154 time(s).
09-25-2004 03:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
BEWARE^^

I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Re

37 / Other / –
RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature
well it can be done wwith a lil changement in the settings :)
[Image: .jpg]
if you need help with unrealircd tell me and i will help ya out.
09-25-2004 03:51 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
  1. contact "grouping":
    you can already simply drag them into a nice row...

grouped dragging:
    suggested before, read "Suggestion for floating contacts." and various other threads...

2. Also suggested before, read "[Plug-in Request/New MsgPlus Feature] Add all contacts with few clicks of the mouse.." (second point). But like said in that thread, this is inpractical and impossible:
    quote:
    Originally posted by CookieRevised
    mind you that the floating contacts are all individual windows and thus objects. It isn't something like a list where you can sort things like you want. In order todo this, the windows must be moved all the time by Plus!, I don't think that's a good idea...
    for several practical reasons. One would be, how on earth is Plus! going to determine which contact would be the topcontact in the "list" (which doesn't exist btw) when your contacts are randomly placed on the desktop, or even in columns for that matter; How are you going to define which contact is the first in the "row".

This post was edited on 09-25-2004 at 06:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-25-2004 06:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
During the Beta testing stage I had emailed Patchou about allowing contacts to be in a group and he said that he doesn't want to put too much time into the feature if not everyone uses it. Now since they do Patchou will probably add it in.

This post was edited on 09-25-2004 at 07:03 PM by matty.
09-25-2004 06:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
I think its a good idea

I would also like the Desktop contact feature no to Alway Be On Top. I would like it if it was only on my desktop and not over my other windows as well.

I just tried using it now and noticed this and removed all contacts from desktop.

RileyM
[Image: salem874.smart.jpg][Image: card.png]
Was i Helpful?[/url]
09-25-2004 07:08 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RileyM, right-click on a floating contact and untick "display properties > always on top"... You can even set this for default...
09-25-2004 07:10 PM
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
Thanx Cookie, I didn't even see that. Pretty stupid off my. lol

RileyM
[Image: salem874.smart.jpg][Image: card.png]
Was i Helpful?[/url]
09-25-2004 07:16 PM
XM4ST3RX

DJ Scoop!

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature
quote:
  1. contact "grouping":
    you can already simply drag them into a nice row...

grouped dragging:
    suggested before, read "Suggestion for floating contacts." and various other threads...

2. Also suggested before, read "[Plug-in Request/New MsgPlus Feature] Add all contacts with few clicks of the mouse.." (second point). But like said in that thread, this is inpractical and impossible:
    quote:
    mind you that the floating contacts are all individual windows and thus objects. It isn't something like a list where you can sort things like you want. In order todo this, the windows must be moved all the time by Plus!, I don't think that's a good idea...
    for several practical reasons. One would be, how on earth is Plus! going to determine which contact would be the topcontact in the "list" (which doesn't exist btw) when your contacts are randomly placed on the desktop, or even in columns for that matter; How are you going to define which contact is the first in the "row".

#1, yes you can drag them into a nice row manually, but an extra option which i dont believe would take too long to add, and would save time and would be more efficient for people who have quite alot of floating contacts.

#2, sorry i didnt realise it had been suggested before

#3, also bein able to have them listed by status would be good for people with quite alot of floating contacts... as far as the impossibility is concerned... it could be ruled off so that when the option "dock all contacts in a row" is selected... patchou could create a function to define wether they are all docked or not... if they are then each object would have an Index... simply looping them and re-arranging them in order of status could be done...

I believe that ALOT of people would appreciate the option's as it creates a 'contact list feel' to it... and thats what it's there for... so that some users dont have to use their contact list...

If you made the option's more advanced like the above, then MORE people would use the feature, making it worth-while adding it.

Many thanks,
XM4ST3RX
09-25-2004 11:26 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by XM4ST3RX
I believe that ALOT of people would appreciate the option's as it creates a 'contact list feel' to it... and thats what it's there for... so that some users dont have to use their contact list...
That's exactly the thing which it isn't suppose to be!!! Patchou wont do this! Floating contacts are meant for "special people" of who you wanna keep track of, not to replace the contactlist!
09-25-2004 11:37 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:

RileyM, right-click on a floating contact and untick "display properties > always on top"... You can even set this for default...
my "always on top" doesn't work !!! well it doesn't stay default even if i tell it to "set as default". so it means i have to click "set as default" every time i start msn up, otherwise they just get hidden behind other windows

anyone know how i can fix the porblem to make "alweays on top" selected by default ?

This post was edited on 09-25-2004 at 11:40 PM by toddy.
09-25-2004 11:39 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: