What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New Virus - New Target

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
New Virus - New Target
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Dodgy  New Virus - New Target
[Image: logo_home_top.gif]

Well as you probably know, I work @ McDonald's (:dodgy:) part time. Yesterday I was sent home from work early because the resteraunt had to be shut down. Want to know why? We were attacked by a virus/hacker. It started with the touch-screen tills acting up, then the screen that shows orders was frozen, then the server attacked itself, then the resteraunt computers, essentially, went into a lock-down. This apparently not the first time it has happened, and the motive for the attack appears to be to leach data off of the server :dodgy:. Very dodgy, but the good news is - if the resteraunt has to close for a while - I get $120/week of EI for doing jack squat :refuck:...:P (BTW, the server IS connected to the internet.)

Note:
Just in case you wanted to know, the server runs Microsoft Windows NT Server, and the tills run a revised edition of Microsoft Windows ME: Shit edition :reruck: ...:P

This post was edited on 10-02-2004 at 01:48 AM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
10-01-2004 02:28 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: New Virus - New Yarget
quote:
Originally posted by blade
BTW, the server IS connected to the internet
Apart from Uploading and downloading statistical information...and upgrades for the tills, I don't see a point...Seems more risk than worth it
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
10-01-2004 03:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: New Virus - New Yarget
The thing that i really don't understand is, why do they need to server to be connected to the internet, its not like people will be browsing on anything, all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it, its a stupid idea, blade, maybe you should suggest that they don't connect it to the internet ;)
10-01-2004 04:05 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: New Virus - New Target
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
The thing that i really don't understand is, why do they need to server to be connected to the internet, its not like people will be browsing on anything, all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it, its a stupid idea, blade, maybe you should suggest that they don't connect it to the internet ;)

I know it's stupid, but they need it to read up on stuff on the internet for no apparent reason :dodgy:.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
10-02-2004 01:50 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: New Virus - New Target
quote:
Originally posted by blade
[Image: logo_home_top.gif]

Well as you probably know, I work @ McDonald's (:dodgy:) part time. Yesterday I was sent home from work early because the resteraunt had to be shut down. Want to know why? We were attacked by a virus/hacker. It started with the touch-screen tills acting up, then the screen that shows orders was frozen, then the server attacked itself, then the resteraunt computers, essentially, went into a lock-down. This apparently not the first time it has happened, and the motive for the attack appears to be to leach data off of the server :dodgy:. Very dodgy, but the good news is - if the resteraunt has to close for a while - I get $120/week of EI for doing jack squat :refuck:...:P (BTW, the server IS connected to the internet.)

Note:
Just in case you wanted to know, the server runs Microsoft Windows NT Server, and the tills run a revised edition of Microsoft Windows ME: Shit edition :reruck: ...:P

Holy crap..That same exact symptoms happened at our mc donalds 4 days ago...I swear...I wsa in line about to order a double cheeseburger w/ ketchup only and it like realy freaked up bad...But to my point in this post, it was done by a 21 year old that lives 4 miles away from mc donalds...:p
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
10-02-2004 03:23 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it
A LAN is only for a local network aka "inside the building" (not totally correct though), hence Local Area Network. You can't put up a LAN to a building that is 10 states away, or even in another country...

They proberly use the net to connect to other McDonalds affiliates and to the main office...

This post was edited on 10-02-2004 at 04:46 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2004 04:45 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it
A LAN is only for a local network aka "inside the building" (not totally correct though), hence Local Area Network. You can't put up a LAN to a building that is 10 states away, or even in another country...

They proberly use the net to connect to other McDonalds affiliates and to the main office...

but blade said they only use it to connect to the internet to look at certain things, nothing else? But maybe you're right.

Can't they just have one pc connected to the internet? Then the whole building wouldn't be at risk constantly, just one pc, and have a firewall or whatever on it, and a lot of virus software.

Stupid Macdonalds... :banana:
10-02-2004 07:12 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Such systems require that all computers are linked to it, so that new prices, promotions, stock, etc. is updated automaticly and immediatly. This king of systems are use all over the world in almost all "net-aware" companies.

If only 1 PC was linked, then the system would be far to expensive and would actually be useless.

Of course a big and decent firewall-system needs to be in place. Also, it doesn't help if you install 10 virusscanners. Stick to 1 or 2...

Many of such attacks are done from the inside. But I'm not implying it was in this case though, only that it happens very frequently in many companies...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2004 08:17 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
cant they do something like only connect to the internet once every day, before closing down, therefore the shop isnt exposed all the time.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
10-02-2004 08:34 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
what about intranet then? :P
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]