What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND
Author: Message:
Jolo

40 / Male / –
O.P. Shocked  DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=24625&category=main

As MSN Messenger 7 goes into private beta, Neowin has learned of several exploits resulting in the "winks" feature of MSN Messenger 7. A Neowin member wishing to remain anonymous has alerted us that users can generate their own flash movies and send them across MSN Messenger. As flash movies can open other things on the system such as Internet Explorer, this could be fatal. As MSN Messenger 7 is only beta and isn't available publically this isn't a major exploit but it does show that added features to a product like this makes it less secure and more open to attack/exploit.

MSN Messenger 7 is beta and is available in copies floating around the internet. We strongly advise members not to use the current beta until this flaw has been resolved. MSN Messenger 7 effectively opens your system up to allow a hacker to run numerous tasks on your machine.

We ask members not to post any exploit code or how to exploit MSN Messenger 7, thank you.
10-05-2004 01:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND
quote:
Originally posted by Jolo
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=24625&category=main

As MSN Messenger 7 goes into private beta, Neowin has learned of several exploits resulting in the "winks" feature of MSN Messenger 7. A Neowin member wishing to remain anonymous has alerted us that users can generate their own flash movies and send them across MSN Messenger. As flash movies can open other things on the system such as Internet Explorer, this could be fatal. As MSN Messenger 7 is only beta and isn't available publically this isn't a major exploit but it does show that added features to a product like this makes it less secure and more open to attack/exploit.

MSN Messenger 7 is beta and is available in copies floating around the internet. We strongly advise members not to use the current beta until this flaw has been resolved. MSN Messenger 7 effectively opens your system up to allow a hacker to run numerous tasks on your machine.

We ask members not to post any exploit code or how to exploit MSN Messenger 7, thank you.

already posted in this Thread . http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32301&page=6
10-05-2004 01:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
Yet another reason why Msn Messenger 7.0 isn't going to be installed on my machine without a workaround were people can't do this...:)
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
10-05-2004 01:41 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I'll still use it. (Y)
[Image: top.gif]
10-05-2004 02:43 AM
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
i will continue using it as soon as Plus! is compatible :P
10-05-2004 04:00 AM
Twan

No Inspiration

37 / Male / Flag
only when it isn't A beta anymore.. it's full of bugs I guess   I didn't trusty it and now I see I was right :)...   

Stupid Beta's :dodgy:
Back Again.
10-05-2004 04:40 AM
The One

I am the Alpha and the Omega.

34 / Male / –
Ah well, that's what comes with Beta's Microsoft didn't want you to see...
-B.
10-05-2004 04:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dwergs

Here's a temporary fix to disable MSN Messenger 7 winks. We hope to release a more effective and easy patch soon.
Hi, I'm dwergs. You might remember me from sites such as Mess with MSN Messenger and dwergs says.
10-05-2004 12:34 PM
find_your_spot

– / Male / Flag
if you patch msn messenger 7 and make it in your own language, then there is nothing wrong with msn messenger 7
[Image: sig.jpg]
10-05-2004 01:20 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
Well i installed msn 7 last night after i saw in a friends nickname that he had it. however as soon as i saw it didnt support messenger plus i uninstalled it and reinstalled msn 6.2 so i could have my plus back. i like what i saw in msn 7 u get nice big pictures on ur main contact list and in convos i like the winks fewature and am yet to find out watt the hell the nudge function does as in the current beta it doesnt work. you also have a messenger plus style options interface in 7.0 which is cool. what would be nice is if the guys at plus can write a tab killer function into into the next msn 7 compatable version of plus as i like seeing some of the tabs but would like to get rid of the ones i dont want to see. as soon as plus is written to support msn 7 i will upgrade to it but ubntil then msn 6.2 is fine by me.
10-05-2004 01:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: