What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » CVR Patch

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
CVR Patch
Author: Message:
Gin

~*~ Gin ~*~

37 / Female / –
RE: CVR Patch
Heh, thanks...was being dim there!! :)

But now, I select MSN messenger...what am I then supposed to see? Because it closes that window, so I select "patch" and I get an error "Error writing to file.. Make sure it's closed!"

Both msn messenger and windows messenger are exited... so what's this?
10-07-2004 07:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
JaymachRalTir

Star Wars Freak

38 / Male / –
All I can really suggest to that is make sure it is deffinately closed (ctrl, shift, esc - go to processes - make sure msnmsgr.exe isn't there) and then try to patch again...alternatively you can download the Star Wars skin in this thread, which I have already patched...but you may not want to do that if you don't like Star Wars...sorry I can't be of more help
10-07-2004 09:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sherro

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Gin
Oops, posted this in a different thread a min ago, but seems appropriate here...

I've got a new problem today... I have now been told to install the previous version of messenger, so downloaded the patch needed. But I cant seem to get that patch to work. I extracted file, ran it and found the messenger folder in Program Files, but it's not showing anything inside the file, when messenger is clearly there as you can see from this screenshot. Any ideas what I can do??

i know why, as you can see its looking for msnmsgr.exe BUT the file in your folder is named msmsgs.exe :P
[Image: Sherro.png]
10-07-2004 10:00 AM
siebe

37 / Male / –
msmsg.exe = Windows Messenger
msnmsgr.exe = MSN Messenger

Dont apply the patch to Windows Messenger.. that will screw it up ;). If you still want to (Which I very much doubt) use ctrl+alt+del to close it. BTW Patchou, I would hardly call it a CRACK.

This post was edited on 10-07-2004 at 12:46 PM by siebe.
10-07-2004 12:45 PM
The One

I am the Alpha and the Omega.

34 / Male / –
Crack, hack, little difference... anyways, it hacks the file so that Microsoft don't know what you use, I would call that a hack/crack.
-B.
10-07-2004 01:26 PM
Gin

~*~ Gin ~*~

37 / Female / –
Cheers for the help all, got it sorted and patched now :)
10-07-2004 03:57 PM
Xero_Cool

O.P. RE: CVR Patch
Windows X now copied Siebe :@
Regards,
XeroCool

Acting dumb to you? My bad.

GameConnect++
Mess with MSN Messenger

10-07-2004 08:34 PM
siebe

37 / Male / –
Cracking and hacking are two different things, to start with. Patching is a whole other thing, too. In my eyes cracking is illegally obtaining software you should have paid for. For example, changing a trial's executable in a way you can use that trial as the full version without you paying.

Did you have to pay for MSN Messenger 7.. No? (If you did, you are brainless :P). I consider this a patch, something that merely changes something in a program, without damagin the income of a company. Did we damage the income of a company? Don't think so. The whole community got hyped up, everyone is enthuastic about MSN Messenger 7 (Well, almost everyone). We even beta tested it for them for free.
10-07-2004 11:52 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
quote:
Crack, hack, little difference...
.Wrong, there's a huge difference. It's the same kind of thinking that mixes adware with trojans :).
Cracks are little programs thatchange data inside other programs in order to remove protections. Hacks are actions taken on a network to get access to resources you shouldn't have access to.

As for patchs, they are the same thing as cracks, only not illegal :)... sooooo, all that to say that the CVR patch is, by definition, a crack :).

Also, note that yes siebe, this is doing damanges... Microsoft didn't want a beta to be leaked, because it was leaked people started to complain that there were bugs and security issues and because of that,they had to take some measures toremove Messenger 7 from circulation... this kind of thing is very damaging and we saw it last year when Microsoft was forced torelease version 6.0 without all the features it was supposed to have because of this kind of pressure.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-08-2004 12:26 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
siebe

37 / Male / –
quote:
Microsoft didn't want a beta to be leaked
So who's fault is this then? Certainly not mine. If they dont want stuff to leak, then make sure it's not leaving the building! Funny isnt it how the msn-int.com servers went "down" maybe 15 or 20 minutes after it got leaked. They always put stuff on there, if they dont want things to be leaked then they should be more careful!

quote:
people started to complain that there were bugs and security issues and because of that,they had to take some measures toremove Messenger 7 from circulation
"Beta" say anything? If people can't understand that then they need some education on what software to use and what not to. I'm sure microsoft has enough abillity to reach the average John Doe.

quote:
Microsoft was forced torelease version 6.0 without all the features it was supposed to have because of this kind of pressure.
It's not like we seen any of those "features" in future builds (6.1, 6.2) anyhow, so I dont know what you are talking about. If there was pressure then I'm sure they could have included it with a future build.
10-09-2004 12:20 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: