What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » My Condolences: Bigley Family

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
My Condolences: Bigley Family
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. Sad  My Condolences: Bigley Family
I would just like to give my condolences to the family of Kenneth Bigley, who has now been beheaded savagely by iraqi militants. I think that this is just downright disgusting and shouldn't be allowed to happen. Here is my opinion, any well educated person knows about the Geneva Conduct, if not then its a contract that was signed worldwide, if any of the countries that signed declares war on another country and wins, then the victors must put as much money that is needed into the country to rebuild it, regardless of anything that is going on. Well i say, we withdraw everything, everyone, including doctors, engineers etc. and see how they cope, I doubt that they will be able to do anything, they have no money or anything. They will be left with nothing, then they can beg us for their lives, and realise what its like. I know that not all of these people are savage, they're just normal people like us, but a lot of them know where the terrorist live etc. and refuse to tell us where.

Here is the full story about Kenneth Bigley:

[Image: _40103226_bigley_pa203.jpg]
He was planning his retirement during his time helping in iraq

Kenneth Bigley was killed just over three weeks after he was taken hostage in Iraq. He died at the hands of his captors despite a high profile and emotional campaign to secure his release.

Kenneth Bigley's family led the campaign to free him, which continued after his two American colleagues, taken at the same time, were both beheaded by their captors. But in the end their efforts were in vain.

Appeals for Mr Bigley's release came from many different quarters, including leaders and Islamic scholars in the Middle East itself.

Earlier in the crisis, officials in Dublin sought to prove Mr Bigley's Irish credentials (his mother was born Irish) by issuing a passport in his name.

Even Libya's leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi issued his own appeal for Mr Bigley's release, after talks with the family.

Kenneth Bigley had three brothers Stanley, Paul and Philip. His mother Elizabeth, 86, was taken ill earlier in the campaign after appealing directly on television for her son's release.

Confirming the death, his brother Philip said: "It could be that the fate of Ken, Eugene and Jack, was sealed from day one."

Retirement

Mr Bigley, 62, was born in Liverpool near Goodison Park, the home of his beloved Everton FC.

He was thought to be just a few months away from his retirement when he was abducted in Iraq.

An engineer, Mr Bigley had worked in many parts of the World.

Soon after his first marriage in 1963, he and his then wife moved to Australia, where they had their first son Craig.

They then moved to New Zealand, where Mr Bigley continued his engineering career until a new opportunity arose in the UK.

He took it and returned home, but later turned his back on his profession to buy a pub in Somerset.

In 1986, the couple's second son Paul was killed when he was knocked off his bike aged 17.

Mr Bigley decided to resume his engineering career in the Middle East, after seeking advice from his brother Paul, who had worked there.

Generous

He worked in several Gulf states, including Dubai, Oman and Kuwait, before moving to Iraq after the war. During his travels Mr Bigley also met his second wife Sombat, a Thai national who also joined in the appeals for his release.

For seven years, he has been working for Middle East-based general services and construction contractor Gulf Supplies and Commercial Services.

[Image: _40103248_family_pa203.jpg]
Brothers Stanley and Philip (left and right) and son Craig (middle)
The Bigley family has made several appeals
On his last visit home, his family tried to persuade him to give up his job as the security situation in Baghdad deteriorated. He apparently planned to retire to Thailand with his wife in a few months.

Noted by friends for his generosity, he let neighbours have free use of his electricity supply.

His relaxed attitude to security was demonstrated by his distinctive 4x4 vehicle and his rejection of armed guards used by other Westerners.

When questioned about the dangers by Iraqi neighbours, he reportedly answered: "I'm not afraid. You only die once."

His love of the area is what has kept him there for so many years
Mr Bigley's brother Philip
But it was his love for the Middle East which outweighed any fears, according to his brother Philip.

"He is understanding and appreciative of the Islamic culture. His love of the area is what has kept him there for so many years and is the reason he was prepared to help in Baghdad where many others would be worried for their own safety." said Philip Bigley, speaking on Arab television.

He was kidnapped on 16 September along with Americans Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong from the home they shared in the Mansour district. Some reports says the trio was working on a US army contract but others say it was a civilian project.

Release attempts

The campaign to free Mr Bigley was complex and wide, taking place both in public and behind the scenes. While the British government insisted it could not negotiate with kidnappers, a long-held policy, Prime Minister Tony Blair did reveal officials tried to make contact with the group believed to be holding him.

Earlier in the crisis, two senior scholars with the Muslim Council of Britain went to Baghdad to plea for Mr Bigley's safe return, although they conceded they had no way of contacting the group involved. Their mission was an effort to show to militant groups that Muslims in Britain stood with the family in seeking the engineer's release, they said.

On 22 September, Mr Bigley appeared in a video making a direct appeal to the prime minister to help save his life. "I need you to help me now Mr Blair, because you are the only person on God's earth who can help me."

Release

In late September, Mr Bigley appeared in another video, broadcast on Al-Jazeera television. He was shown behind bars, again pleading with Tony Blair to help release him.

On Monday 4 October, the family believed there was hope of a potential breakthrough after receiving an unconfirmed report that Mr Bigley had been handed to another kidnap group, one which was prepared to release him for a ransom.

In Mr Bigley's home town, representatives of all walks of life and faiths came together in acts of solidarity to call for his release.

One event saw members of seven different faiths tour temples, mosques and synagogues in the city before a symbolic walk along Hope Street between Liverpool's two cathedrals.

His death has now brought the same community together in grief.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3683182.stm

This post was edited on 10-08-2004 at 05:50 PM by user27089.
10-08-2004 05:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
RE: My Condolences: Bigley Family
[Image: violin.gif]leejeffery offers his condolences also[Image: violin.gif]

This post was edited on 10-08-2004 at 05:54 PM by Eljay.
10-08-2004 05:52 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Terrorists can't fight with courage...I just pity their mentality that they can only kill an innocent rather than actually fight...

This post was edited on 10-08-2004 at 05:56 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
10-08-2004 05:55 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
:dodgy: Dodgy retard terroroists :fight: :fight:....:dodgy:
(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)
I also offer my condolences to the Bigley family, and the families of all of the people killed in Iraq pointlessly

This post was edited on 10-08-2004 at 05:57 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
10-08-2004 05:56 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
That really sucks. Who would kiddnapp some one just because they went to that contry to help them.
I totaly agree with traxor about withdrawing our help. Plus its plain dangerous for those people to be out there.
The other iraqi's dont disurve to suffer bucause of us withdrawing our help.
But if minoritys continue to pose a threat to our people out there then its the only thing to do.
* Plik offers my condolences to the bigley family
10-08-2004 05:58 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: My Condolences: Bigley Family
Exactly, I would also like to say that any terrorist organisation over the world, they're just cowards, they can't fight their battles, all they can do is produce car bombs, bomb innocent people, some that go to church, women, children, the elderly, they would kill for a penny, i swear, these people are just heartless pricks that don't have a life, so they take the lives of others, it makes them feel important, makes them feel on top of the world, makes them feel as if they're strong, because they can kill someone, the real strong people are the people that do good things, and people who wouldn't kill someone if they themselves were at gunpoint being asked to take anothers life, people who would save the life of another, regardless of what would happen to them.

10-08-2004 06:02 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
I totaly agree with traxor about withdrawing our help.
We need to remember here, not everyone in iraq wanted to behead mr bigley. There are some people in that country trying their best to make something of it. One high profile act shouldnt overlook that.
10-08-2004 09:23 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
My condolences to the family...I hate when shit like this happens :cry:
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
10-08-2004 09:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Ginger

Well, this one time at band camp..

– / Female / –
Terroists are Cowards.
Inferno @ The Opera House.
November 25. 2005
Toronto.
Come check it out! (k)
10-09-2004 12:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
i heard about this news on my way to school, and frankly it disgusted me +o(:'(:'((U)(W)

My condolences to the Bigley family, and the families of all of the people killed in Iraq.

R.I.P

This post was edited on 10-09-2004 at 01:07 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
10-09-2004 01:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: