What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » CVR Patch

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
CVR Patch
Author: Message:
unigolyn

RE: RE: CVR Patch
rant warning

quote:
Originally posted by siebe
quote:
Microsoft didn't want a beta to be leaked
So who's fault is this then? Certainly not mine. If they dont want stuff to leak, then make sure it's not leaving the building! Funny isnt it how the msn-int.com servers went "down" maybe 15 or 20 minutes after it got leaked. They always put stuff on there, if they dont want things to be leaked then they should be more careful!

That's a retarded line of reasoning. It's like a car thief saying stealing your car wasn't really stealing because you left the car door open, or saying a rape victim had it coming for wearing such revealing clothes.

quote:
people started to complain that there were bugs and security issues and because of that,they had to take some measures toremove Messenger 7 from circulation
"Beta" say anything? If people can't understand that then they need some education on what software to use and what not to. I'm sure microsoft has enough abillity to reach the average John Doe.

The average John Doe doesn't even know what 'beta' means. Microsoft's concern is its reputation, and their decision to pull the leaked beta was aimed at just these people, who hear 'security problem' and think messenger 7 is an unsafe product.

Bottom line - if Microsoft says you can't use that beta, then cracking/patching/hacking/tickling it to get past their blocks is a crime. Agreed, it ranks right up with stealing a pack of gum or jaywalking, and I've done similar (and worse) things before. But it irks me to no end how people yammer on about their 'right' to steal, and then rationalize it by saying their victim is an evil corporation who deserves no better for denying you your free lunch.

I've had intellectual property stolen from me, and I've given intellectual property away for free. I make my living selling it. Just because it's ones and zeroes doesn't make stealing it any different from stealing my car or my TV. And yes, I've pirated software. I'm pretty sure my computer isn't 100% legit. And that makes me a thief. Funny though, I think admitting you're a thief is quite more morally defensible than arguing you have some sort of esoteric right to the fruits of someone else's labor, with or without their consent.

Also, everyone calling Microsoft Micro$oft, and whining about the quality of MS products - use Linux for chrissake! Or MacOS! They're completely functional operating systems. You're like advocates of veganism eating spare ribs while yelling 'meat is murder!'.

(and don't even start with 'i wasn't defending stealing' - you were flaming someone who defended Microsoft's right to their intellectual property)

/end rant
10-11-2004 12:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: