What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Exclusive Rights of Patchou!!!!

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Exclusive Rights of Patchou!!!!
Author: Message:
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Exclusive Rights of Patchou!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by tgnb
quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
well if you do something original it is copywrited to you automaticly.
No its not. Go read up about it if before you say things like that. There are certain things you need to do before your code is copyrighted.

Show me where.
02-10-2005 05:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
Yes GiantSpider is right when you create the code it becomes automaticly copyrighted to the codes author.
AC3
02-10-2005 06:02 PM
tgnb

GiantSpider, I already posted several links where you can read all about IP and Copyrights. If you choose to ignore that and ask for the same information over again then nothing I can say will change your mind.

And Carltos Cool, no matter how many times you repeat it, things do NOT automatically become copyrighted. You have to do things for them to be copyrighted. It doesn't just happen on its own magically as you write code. Even if its as simple as attaching a copyright notice to start with. At a bare minimum you have to do something if you expect to get any protection under Copyright law. Doing nothing won't give you copyright. Go back and click on the links i posted previously and do some reading. Its a lot because its a complext topic.

This post was edited on 02-11-2005 at 06:00 PM by tgnb.
02-11-2005 05:53 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
GiantSpider, I already posted several links where you can read all about IP and Copyrights. If you choose to ignore that and ask for the same information over again then nothing I can say will change your mind.

And Carltos Cool, no matter how many times you repeat it, things do NOT automatically become copyrighted. You have to do things for them to be copyrighted. It doesn't just happen on its own magically as you write code. Even if its as simple as attaching a copyright notice to start with. At a bare minimum you have to do something if you expect to get any protection under Copyright law. Doing nothing won't give you copyright. Go back and click on the links i posted previously and do some reading. Its a lot because its a complext topic.
From your own links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
quote:
In the United States, copyrights are automatic as soon as the expression is secured in a fixed medium (for example, a drawing, sheet music, a videotape or a letter). There is no requirement that a copyright be officially registered for the author to obtain rights. Registration of works does however, have its benefits: serving as prima facie evidence of a valid copyright and being able to be awarded statutory damages and attorney's fees (whereas works registered after an infrigement only recevie actual damages and profits). The original owner of the copyright may be the employer of the actual author rather than the author himself if the work is a "work for hire". Again, this principle is widespread; in English Law the Copyright Designs and Patents 1988 provides that where a work in which copyright subsists is made by an employee in the course of that employment, the copyright is automatically assigned to the employer.

*cough* :rolleyes:
02-11-2005 06:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
From your own links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

quote:
In the United States, copyrights are automatic as soon as the expression is secured in a fixed medium (for example, a drawing, sheet music, a videotape or a letter). There is no requirement that a copyright be officially registered for the author to obtain rights. Registration of works does however, have its benefits: serving as prima facie evidence of a valid copyright and being able to be awarded statutory damages and attorney's fees (whereas works registered after an infrigement only recevie actual damages and profits). The original owner of the copyright may be the employer of the actual author rather than the author himself if the work is a "work for hire". Again, this principle is widespread; in English Law the Copyright Designs and Patents 1988 provides that where a work in which copyright subsists is made by an employee in the course of that employment, the copyright is automatically assigned to the employer.

*cough* :rolleyes:

:lol: he just proved himself wrong. I knew that code or anything you make was automaticly copyrighted from the start.

This post was edited on 02-11-2005 at 06:55 PM by _Humphreys.
AC3
02-11-2005 06:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
He didn't proof himself wrong...

Copyright is indeed a VERY complex issue. Many things depend on what country the original author is in, what he made, why he made it, etc...

When people (especially on the net) say that something is automatically copyrighted if they write it, then be sure that it isn't (at least not in the way they think it is). Especially on the net, where international laws and national laws contradict or don't exist.

Furthermore, what is said in that Wiki is very true: simply put: copyright is BS (again especially on the net), it means simply and absolutely nothing. If you place a copyright mark under a written text of yours and publish it on the net, everybody can still copy it freely and claim it as his own! It is only until you have PROOF that you have written it that you can do something about it (and no, the copyright mark is not proof at all; proof is when you have registered it at an official bureau -and this costs money-). This is called registering the product. Also, there are many forms of registrations, one thougher/stronger then the other.

Note that even the "poor mans' copyright"* isn't officialy (in court) proof that you have something written/made first. The judge (or whoever is in charge of the despute) doesn't need to take this into consideration at all.

* post the article to yourself in an evelop and never open it. The validated poststamp proofs the date and time.

Also note that you can't copyright certain things at all (even if you put the copyright mark under it).

90% of all copyright marks on the net mean nothing more then a sign that the author whishes that the text/whatever isn't copied without asking him/her, nothing more (even if you whish it was more)...

And this is also exactly what tgnb said/meant.
quote:
There are certain things you need to do before your code is copyrighted in the REAL way (not in the "lets-just-place-a-copyright-mark-underneath-it"-way.

In short: the copyrights of which 90% of all people are talking about means absolutely nothing, nil, zero, nada (well, maybe it gives you the "right" to start flaming the person who breached your "copyright", but that's it. And indeed, we then come again to moral, which is already talk about in this thread).

This post was edited on 02-11-2005 at 07:30 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-11-2005 07:19 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
The point is, you don't need to put a © or whatever, it's just a reminder to frighten people. Copyrights "ARE" automatic, although in theory: as long as you can't prove you made it before another one, no one gives shit about it.

As long as you can (be it by registering, being by having a letter to yourself, being by another method) then you don't need to "copyright" things.

You just need to be sure people know when you did it.
02-11-2005 07:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
so patchou, has microsoft bought anything from you yet?
02-11-2005 08:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Yes, copyrights are complex and no, Microsoft didn't buy anything from me :p. As I said previously, I'm generally counting on good-faith, which, when it works, is always the best sollution for everybody. However, in case of trouble, I have my trademark to defend myself a little, but a trademark doesn't prevent anybody from stealing any of your ideas.
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-11-2005 08:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In short: the copyrights of which 90% of all people are talking about means absolutely nothing, nil, zero, nada (well, maybe it gives you the "right" to start flaming the person who breached your "copyright", but that's it. And indeed, we then come again to moral, which is already talk about in this thread).
Which was what I ment.
02-11-2005 09:54 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: