What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » New Features suggestions

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
New Features suggestions
Author: Message:
zhaf

40 / Male / –
O.P. New Features suggestions
Hi, Messenger Plus! crew...
I've been using Messenger Plus! for some time now, and there's some features that I miss. And now that Messenger 7.0 is on it's way and you're making a major update/new version of Messenger Plus! I thought to maye inspire you guys with my suggestions, and hopefully you'll impement them.

1. I would like to see a feature that overrides the size of display pictures and custom emotions (maybe even a feature to use gif animations as emotions). And for those that don't want to view oversized display pics or emotions should have a choise to switch to "normal" view.

2. Ok my second suggestion is kinda hard to make cuz it'll change the GUI and I don't know if MS allows that. But anyway.
I think it'll be nice to have more controll over ones groups. I would like to have the option to create separators and sub-groups.

eg: Have "Relatives" as main group and "Family" and "Cousins" as sub-groups. ::or:: "Work" as main and "Designers" and "Coders" as sub-groups

So that if you choose to eg hide the main group all sub groups will be hidden as well. And most of all it'll look alot better and cleaner.

3. I want to be able to create own tags and remove... or at least remove exsisting ones that you don't need.

4. With the 7.0 version of Messanger comes the very anoying "Nudge" founction... it'll be great if you could have a "dissable Nudge" button in feature Messenger Plus!.

5. I think it'll be nice (at least for us computer geeks) to see the connection speed of file transfers. And it would  be nice (for all) that you made it awalable to continue a file transfer after it has been broken or disturbed somehow. Quite anoying if you're reciving (or sending) several hundreds of MB (or GB) big files and suddenly either ones connection goes down and you've to start all over again.

well that's all I could think of now... hope these helped.

/zhaf

This post was edited on 10-18-2004 at 08:20 PM by zhaf.
10-18-2004 08:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: New Features suggestions
1. www.stuffplug.com SPNG does that. Does the oversized emoticons and avatars...
2. dunno
3. dunno
4. that would be nice (y)!
5. use File Transfer Plus, I beleive it does that does it not?

This post was edited on 10-18-2004 at 08:23 PM by RebelSean.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
10-18-2004 08:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
zhaf

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: New Features suggestions
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
1. www.stuffplug.com SPNG does that. Does the oversized emoticons and avatars...
2. dunno
3. dunno
4. that would be nice (y)!
5. use File Transfer Plus, I beleive it does that does it not?

I know that there're lots of other plugins that does all kind of cool stuff... but I would like to see these functions in Messenger Plus!... I use MSN Shell as well that does some of the things I said above. But sometimes Shell and Plus! interfiere with eachother and Messenger is forced to shut down... it would be nice to have all this things in just one perfect plugin.
10-18-2004 08:28 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zhaf
I know that there're lots of other plugins that does all kind of cool stuff... but I would like to see these functions in Messenger Plus!...

Thats what plug-ins are made for. So that the main program, Messenger Plus! isn't a HUGE file to download.:)
10-18-2004 08:31 PM
zhaf

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: New Features suggestions
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Thats what plug-ins are made for. So that the main program, Messenger Plus! isn't a HUGE file to download.:)

... isn't Plus! a plugin for MSN Messenger!?... plugins on plugins... what a horrile thought :S... ok but still I would feel much better if the Plus! crew make these as plugins for Plus! so I can download them seperately... then maybe have a "mega pack" where all stuff are included? I've had bad experience with too much plugins installed at the same time.
10-18-2004 08:53 PM
Knad

1. SPNG does oversize, and msn7 does allow animated gifs :D..but for sum reason repeat infinately dont work :@ so you have to set it to like 30000

2. Dunno

3. Dunno...but msn shell does this :p

4. Click Tools - Options - 'Messages'   there be a nice little tick box :p

5. Yes that would be great, been talked about alot but so-far no1 dun it
[Image: sigg.png]
10-18-2004 09:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
... isn't Plus! a plugin for MSN Messenger!?... plugins on plugins... what a horrile thought :S... ok but still I would feel much better if the Plus! crew make these as plugins for Plus! so I can download them seperately... then maybe have a "mega pack" where all stuff are included? I've had bad experience with too much plugins installed at the same time.

Plus is a add-on, and the things that require Messenger Plus!, are Plug-ins...:p
10-18-2004 09:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
1) Like mentioned above, use StuffPlug-NG plugin.

2) Indeed very hard to do. It _could_ be possible maybe, but not for the near futur. If anything is done to the contactlist then it would be sorting on custom names I suppose (also a long suggested feature)

3) creating own tags: Use the Quicktexts. They are exactly made for that.
removing tags which you don't use: Just don't use them. They are part of Messenger Plus!, you can't "remove" them. However, you could make your own and thus overwriting the default ones.

4) This option will be in Messenger 7 itself.

5) Like mentioned above, use File Transfer Plus plugin

quote:
... isn't Plus! a plugin for MSN Messenger!?...
No, it is an "addon".

Plugins are small programs which use code from their mother program to add certain things to their mother program. Plugins can't be run on their own. They need the mother program to "interpret" the code.

Addons are programs which use their own code and thus can be run on their own. They add things to the program of which they are added (aka run side by side).

quote:
ok but still I would feel much better if the Plus! crew make these as plugins for Plus! so I can download them seperately...
There isn't a Plus! crew. It is a one man project. Patchou is the only programmer.

quote:
then maybe have a "mega pack" where all stuff are included? I've had bad experience with too much plugins installed at the same time.
"mega packs" are almost always bad ideas.  To satisfy all the users such packs must contain many things and thus will consist of many things which other people don't like and never use (aka "bloating").

If plugins are written properly then there isn't any conflict between several plugins. And furthermore, with sepearte plugins, the users can choose what to install and use and leave the useless things (for them) out...

Also, a big con of "mega packs" is that it contains so much features that an individual feature of it is never worked out in detail with all the possebilities. (because the creator doesn't have time to work extensivly on 1 feature because there are others to debug for example)

eg: StuffPlug-NG is a nice example of such a "pack". It contains many many nice features. For many people this is an advantage; they don't need to install 50 plugins to have the same features. But for other people, who are only interested in, let's say, 5 features, StuffPlug-NG is very bloated and has far to many useless things...

This post was edited on 10-18-2004 at 09:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-18-2004 09:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:

1. I would like to see a feature that overrides the size of display pictures and custom emotions (maybe even a feature to use gif animations as emotions). And for those that don't want to view oversized display pics or emotions should have a choise to switch to "normal" view.

Is it just me that's reading this wrong? Doesn't he want to stop Oversized Dps and Ce's? :undecided:
10-18-2004 09:52 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
Is it just me that's reading this wrong? Doesn't he want to stop Oversized Dps and Ce's?
actually he is asking for both: Override the resizing and stop the view of oversized ones...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-18-2004 10:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: