What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Internet Explorer takes forever to load websites

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Internet Explorer takes forever to load websites
Author: Message:
ABC123

RE: Internet Explorer takes forever to load websites
When I first started using Firefox, I wondered if it really did stop alot of spyware like people said.  So I decided to use Internet Explorer for a week.  Then Firefox for a week and after each week I would use Adaware and Spybot S&D.  The first week I used Firefox, scanned and found like 3 spyware things.  The second week I used IE, scanned and found around 20 spyware things.  Online, I basicly only play games, go to some forums, and browse for some software to enhance crappy Windows*COUGH*Use Linux*COUGH*.  I didn't click any of the ads, I never do.  IE could *maybe* be a half-decent internet browser if I put some work into enhancing it.  But the fact is, even without enhancing Firefox with plugins, it's way better than IE could ever be.
11-05-2004 10:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Fraisie
Former Super Mod

Pixie Dust!

42 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:
Originally posted by Leif
So how did you fix it? Uninstall SP2 or what??

I think she meant that it happened to her WHILE she was installing SP2 (the installer pauseing or w/e). Either way, I dojn't like  :dodgy: Dodgy SP2 :dodgy:

No, actually it happened when SP2 was all installed. I had to uninstall it. After a few weeks, I formated my hd and reinstalled everything from scratch, and then SP2 worked better... bleh !
So, Fraisie.net is empty atm. I\'m trying to come up with something cool to put on it, and I will!
11-05-2004 10:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
No, actually it happened when SP2 was all installed. I had to uninstall it. After a few weeks, I formated my hd and reinstalled everything from scratch, and then SP2 worked better... bleh !

Well b4 I turned off Windows Security Center it would constantly badger me about my firewall ( :blah: ) and also, after SP2 - I can't view anything in WMP10 in full screen :dodgy:.

This post was edited on 11-05-2004 at 10:43 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-05-2004 10:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. RE: Internet Explorer takes forever to load websites
I fixed my problem now, i just uninstalled SP2, and all is back to normal. SP2, aggrivated my McAfee Internet Security because of Windows Security Center, gave me connection problems with AOL (i could never get that patch after, i even contacted AOL - as lousy as their help service was, and even Microsoft about it), not to mention, it hogged a lot of CPU too and made my PC even slower again to load up and do things. The only benefit i found was that Windows Movie Maker was working again, but this wasn't really a good reason for me to keep it, so i just removed it.  Just goes to prove that sometimes, older can be better :)

You've clearly convinced me also that Firefox rules compared to IE. So i'm going to get that definetly! :D

I'm a bit new to this Firefox business though, can it block popups etc. that IE can't. Does it cope with Flash and ActiveX Applets OK? Any other things it can do which IE can't?

Thanks again :D

11-06-2004 02:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blade
Well b4 I turned off Windows Security Center it would constantly badger me about my firewall ( ) and also, after SP2 - I can't view anything in WMP10 in full screen .
these two things are just two things you need to properly set up.
1) Security Center. You can tell it what firewall you use and if you want to check this or not.
2) WMP10 works perfectly for viewing full screen things. You only need to set it up properly.

If you install/upgrade anything, it is always a good practice to go over every single option (again) in that program. Some options may have changed, added, removed...

quote:
Originally posted by frankiedaman
and made my PC even slower again to load up and do things.
Proberly (without any more info) because the systemwide DEP was on. (this is set on by default when you install SP2)

quote:
Just goes to prove that sometimes, older can be better
That doesn't proof a thing though. It only proofs that some settings were wrong... I can make make SP1 going even slower if I wish....

About that fact that MS decided to set some things by default when installing SP2 is something else, some things are indeed dodgy for the "advanced" user. But it only takes a mouseclick (and reading some stuff before installing) to set things strait....

quote:
I'm a bit new to this Firefox business though, can it block popups etc. that IE can't. Does it cope with Flash and ActiveX Applets OK? Any other things it can do which IE can't?
Popups: yes, it can block also popups.
Flash: install the flash plugin
ActiveX: there is a plugin which supports secure, signed activeX applets
Other things: visit the firefox pages
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-06-2004 04:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend