What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » i can not uninstalle the messenger plus

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
i can not uninstalle the messenger plus
Author: Message:
gspeed

O.P. Sad  i can not uninstalle the messenger plus
i can not uninstall messenger + . there is a bleu bar under the IE which appears everytime i lauch IE. And the shortcuts that are everywhere on the screen are not removed !!!

how to uninstall completely this stuff!!!!

thank you
11-11-2004 02:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus
The correct procedure to uninstall it is to go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs and uninstall "Messenger Plus! 3". If this entry isn't there, look if there is an uninstall shortcut in your Start menu, or try to reinstall it (it might have got corrupted).

The blue bar and the icons are there because you installed the sponsor program. Uninstalling Messenger Plus! will remove that as well. Take a look at How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor.

If you tried this, what error did you see when trying to uninstall?

This post was edited on 11-11-2004 at 02:46 PM by Tochjo.
11-11-2004 02:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Leif

81 / Male / –
And shouldn't you make sure that Internet Explorer is NOT running while you do this? Or am I mistaken? Better safe than sorry, anyway.
11-11-2004 03:45 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
You are not mistaken.

And, in a pre-emptive strike, the instructions *do* work, having tested them myself.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
11-12-2004 12:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Leif

81 / Male / –
RE: RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
And, in a pre-emptive strike, the instructions *do* work, having tested them myself.

Having tested this myself several times I can but agree with Raceprouk!
11-12-2004 02:54 PM
captureroftyme

I too have this problem. I installed the software today and then decided I didnt want it after I saw the number off spyware adaware that came with it. I Followed the instructions for removal and have been unsuccesfull. STILL HAVE THAT TOOL BAR! How do I get rid of this ? And please dont give me that link back to the instructions  " How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor." I need the instructions on how to remove this with the registry keys so im sure its gone! A prompt reply would be appreciated.
11-14-2004 07:13 AM
Dansha

34 / Male / –
Please follow the instructions carefully. First of all, the new installer clearly shows what you are installing, and the adware is only optional to support Patchou.

If you have corrupted the sponsor program by trying to uninstall it some other way then it may not uninstall properly so try installing Messenger Plus! again WITH the sponsor program and then uninstall it by follow the instructions carefully. I am sure that the instructions work because I among many other people have used them to successfully uninstall the optional support toolbar.

If you are happy with Messenger Plus! but are unhappy with the sponsor then you may uninstall the sponsor and install Messenger Plus! but READ CAREFULLY and click the option which does not install the optional sponsor.

If you are completely sure that the uninstallation of the sponsor program is not working, be sure that it has not been installed on your system due to another program.

Remember, it's an *optional* sponser program. You must have selected to install it with Messenger Plus! Be more careful next time if you do not want to install these kinds of programs.
[Image: Dansha.png]
11-14-2004 08:33 AM
whippingboy

Yes this may be optional adware, but the problem is my wife installed messenger plus and I didn't know where the toolbar came from, so first thing I did was run spybot.  Essentially since I didn't know it came from messenger plus, i naturally did everything you say i was not supposed to do, which I only find out tonight, weeks later of course.

I downloaded messenger plus again on my system, and have been installing and uninstalling it just as you have said.  Still no joy, that toolbar keeps coming back.

I really wish I could be given like that other guy asked for, the whole manual uninstall info so I could go in myself and root it out.
11-16-2004 07:33 AM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
Hi gspeed,

It seems while installing Messenger Plus! you have installed the sponsor program by mistake: you selected I ACCEPT, install the sponsor in the installation program. Please note this is not spyware it's simply a small search bar for Internet Explorer so Patchou (the creator of Messenger Plus!) can make a living off it...

If before doing the below you have attempted to remove the sponsor program by any other method, like spyware and adware removal tools, messed around in the registry or tried to delete files you must install Messenger Plus! again with the sponsor program before doing this...

To uninstall it go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and double click on "Messenger Plus!" (or click on Remove). Then "Messenger Plus! - Setup" is displayed.
Click on the Uninstall button. after a couple of seconds, the program will ask you if you want to keep your preferences, it is suggested to say "Yes".
Then you'll be asked to type in the number displayed in the box then click Uninstall.
Now you must click Yes when asked to confirm the uninstall...If you're asked to close Internet explorer or any program do so. Now restart your computer and the sponsor program will be gone.
If it is not gone by this stage and you have thoroughly done all of the above please use this application to uninstall it ..http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe
AC3
11-16-2004 08:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
whippingboy

How many different ways can I tell you... THE UNINSTALL PROGRAMS DO NOT WORK..  I tried using their uninstall programs and installing and uninstalling messenger just like you guys say too... still the ad bar comes back!  Furthermore, for those who mistakenly install the adware, and use adaware or similar utilities because they have no idea how it got there, it leaves us in quite a bind, doesn't it?  How the hell am i supposed to get this thing off??????
11-16-2004 06:11 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: