What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Yasser Arafat dead

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Yasser Arafat dead
Author: Message:
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Yasser Arafat dead
quote:
Originally posted by news.bbc.co.uk
Mr Arafat, who dominated his people's struggle for 40 years, died aged 75 of multiple organ failure at 0330 (0230 GMT) on Thursday.

Israel, which saw him as a terrorist, has talked of a new chance for peace.

He had been admitted to the hospital after arriving from the West Bank on 29 October as doctors struggled to diagnose his illness.

Some militants accused Israel of causing his death and a leader of Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, Raid al-Aidi, swore to avenge it:

"We hold Israel fully responsible for the assassination of our mentor and father... It was caused by the siege imposed on him."

Officials say Mr Arafat may be interred in a stone coffin so that one day his body can be moved to Jerusalem where Palestinians hope to have the capital of a future independent state.
May God rest his soul.

What do you think ? Will the situation in Palestina / Israel change ? :-/

This post was edited on 11-11-2004 at 08:59 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
11-11-2004 08:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Yasser Arafat dead
I think that if they get the Prime Minister that George Bush knows, and could do business with, then I think that the situation will gradually get better, and they may live in peace one day.

Oh, and sorry bout his death.
11-11-2004 08:55 PM
Maniac

Posts including T&T: 1684

36 / Male / –
May he rest in peace.

Hopefully this stupid conflict will finish soon, it has been going on for too long, just get along with each other people!
[Image: maniacsig0pb.jpg]
*It took Jesus 3 days to respawn! Talk about lag!* :rofl:
11-11-2004 08:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
I think they're fucked. Anyone that takes over his position will likely just make things worse imo.

Either way - May he rest in peace.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-11-2004 09:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I think it could be good for the peace process, the Israeli govt. said that they would never talk to Yasser, now there will be a new leader, things will change, maybe with pressure from the US they will be forced to even more.

Either way, im eagerly anticipating sock's contribution to this thread.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
11-11-2004 10:10 PM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by saralk

I think it could be good for the peace process, the Israeli govt. said that they would never talk to Yasser, now there will be a new leader, things will change, maybe with pressure from the US they will be forced to even more.

I agree.

:)
11-11-2004 10:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
FrozernFire

GunZ rules!

32 / Male / –
there might be some unrest before everything can go back to normal with a new leader, and even longer for peace between Palestine and Irsael
"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret."

Aragorn -"A PEA!! A PEA!! Under my saddle, look Legolas!!! A pea!! Surely only the true King could feel a tiny
pea under all that leather!!!"[/align]
11-12-2004 05:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
actually here in Israel thats where i live.. People are really happy that he died..
11-12-2004 09:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
sock
Elite Member

Back in White! (with red stripes)

38 / Male / Flag
If you ask me, it is the Palestinians who should be happy, not us Israelis. While his people were suffering, Arafat did nothing to promote a peace process.

Is Israel to blame for the Palestinians' current condition? Partially. Our parliament looks like a zoo (and acts accordingly), most of the nation doesn't even trust it. But I assure you that none of us are enjoying this condition, and their leadership is to blame for it equally.

I personally think what really makes this conflict so bad, is religion. Religion is a regressive element. Religion makes many of our people (settlers and those who support them) bring the nation into war just for some land. They are destroying the foundations of this country. Religion also makes many of the Palestinians turn to extreme violence, and truly believe it would help their cause.

(That's not to say that religion is always a bad thing. Religion can be a wonderful thing if you channel it to good things. I am sure there are many religious people on both sides who would like to end this conflict in a peaceful manner.)

Am I happy that Arafat is dead? Well, I'm not happy he's dead just for the sake of it. I am glad that now there may be some changes - now the Palestinians may get a better leadership. Evidently, this could not have happened while Arafat lived.
[Image: patchoulolhaxun7.jpg]
11-12-2004 11:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by sock
While his people were suffering, Arafat did nothing to promote a peace process.
I don't believe that is totaly correct though. Arafat did many things to have peace and to come to a solution. It is only in the last few years that he has "gone back" to his stuburn himself and refusing any negatiation (Camp David). But don't forget that he did a lot of good things also (he won the Nobel price for peace for that).

I hope that there will be a solution now though, although I think it will not be soon unfortunatly as for some extremists Palestinians Arafat will be a martyr and that's even more dangerous then a "life Arafat" so to speak. I suspect even more violence in the coming days from extremists from the Palestinian side and of course Israel will react with violence...... I surely hope I'm wrong though...

For those who want to know who Arafat was (terrorist vs peace nobel price winner):
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/arafat.html
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasser_Arafat

This post was edited on 11-12-2004 at 01:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-12-2004 01:46 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: