What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » The Best Reason not to use Msgplus

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Agree to my suggestion?
This poll is closed.
Yes 1 7.69%
No 12 92.31%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

The Best Reason not to use Msgplus
Author: Message:
skyriders

O.P. The Best Reason not to use Msgplus
Hi, I have tried using the previous versions of MsgPlus 3 sometime ago, I liked it very much. But at one time i didn;t have the time to use Messenger anymore, and I uninstalled everything to save storage space for my work.

Well, schedules are not so tight now and I have downloaded and installed MsgPlus3 yesterday. After installation, what I encountered really dissapointed me.

It installed all this advertisements stuff on my desktop, e.g. Poker etc. and a Search toolbar in IE. My AVG antivirus even detected a Trojan!

I have uploaded the screenshots at http://www.geocities.com/e_immortals/msgplus.jpg
and
http://www.geocities.com/e_immortals/msgplus1.jpg

Now, I cant disable the Search toolbar in IE, I have used Noadware2.01, and also tried looking for the files,, but couldn't find them. In IE, the View>Toolbars section doesn;t display the selection of the search bar, which means it's kinda anonymous and I can't delete or hide it.

I suggest not to use Messenger Plus until the developer removes these adware, if he wants to advertise, no problem! Just place an ad space somewhere in Messenger while chatting or something similar.

Back to my problem, can anybody help me with it? I wish to get rid of the toolbar in IE.

Thanks & Regards,
Ty
11-15-2004 06:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: The Best Reason not to use Msgplus
quote:
Originally posted by skyriders
I suggest not to use Messenger Plus until the developer removes these adware
It's completely optional though. You must have accidentally clicked the option to install it in the MsgPlus setup. To remove the sponsor program, please refer to this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
11-15-2004 06:49 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ninja

You can also use Windows XP SP2's addon management feature to disable the IE toolbar...
11-15-2004 06:54 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ninja
You can also use Windows XP SP2's addon management feature to disable the IE toolbar...
That might hide the toolbar, but it's only a partial solution and is not recommended. :-/
11-15-2004 07:05 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
The sollution to your problem is simple: uninstall Messenger Plus! and follow the instructions presented by the sponsor program. If you don't see any instruction, it will probably means that your anti-adware programs damaged the unisntallation files. In that case, reinstall Messenger Plus! withthe sponsor and try uninstalling again, it will work.

After the ads have been removed, feel free to gie Messenger Plus! another try, just select "I refuse to install the sponsor" during installation this time :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-15-2004 07:22 AM
Pipish

not really active anymore.

31 / Male / Flag
i am honestly getting sick of this i think there needs to be a global announcment like forums rules some people need to open their eyes the title should be somthing like if you have a toolbar and lots of new things on your comp after installing msgplus come here its not that hard to click i dissagree
[Image: fcliverpoolfan2xo.gif]
[Image: roosters4yg.jpg]
11-15-2004 07:26 AM
ninja

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
That might hide the toolbar, but it's only a partial solution and is not recommended. :-/

IT doesnt just hide the tool bar, it stops the DLL from running.
11-15-2004 08:13 AM
skyriders

O.P. RE: The Best Reason not to use Msgplus
Hey patchou, thanks for your reply, now u give me every reason to use msgplus! :)
11-15-2004 09:15 AM
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

IT doesnt just hide the tool bar, it stops the DLL from running.

The propper way to remove the sponsor is to do what Patchou suggested. This removes it all correctly and does not just disable the search bar.
11-15-2004 09:16 AM
John

www.johnjoosten.net

38 / Male / Flag
*sigh*

Read what you install. :)
[Image: johnsig02.png]
11-15-2004 09:36 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »