What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist
Author: Message:
Skit3000

– / Male / –
O.P. Happy  Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist
Hello all,

After running MSN Messenger 7 a few times, I was wondering if I could change some of the XML files inside the .exe to show people their avatars into my buddylist. Unfortunately, I didn't get it to work, but may there be a chance that something like this will be added into the next (with MSN 7 compatible) MsgPlus? :) I think this will really improve the quality of MSN, since you can see who's who right away, without having to look at their names... :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=340804]

(See the attachment for an example of what I mean.)

Edit: Attachment is shown above... :)

.jpg File Attachment: msn7.JPG (42.93 KB)
This file has been downloaded 574 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-27-2004 at 04:05 PM by Skit3000.
11-27-2004 04:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist
In the MSN 7 BETA when you hover the mouse pointer over people it shows you their dp (it's called the contacts card) so why would you want to do that when you already have a similar neater feature?
AC3
11-27-2004 05:09 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
IMO, That would take up so much space and make the contact list look messy.
You can just use the contact cards if you really must see there display pic.
11-27-2004 05:10 PM
Skit3000

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
IMO, That would take up so much space and make the contact list look messy.
You can just use the contact cards if you really must see there display pic.

Yes, you can look at the contact cards if you want to see the display pictures, but right now, you can also just open a conversation window. I think that it would be nicer to just have all these display pictures shown in your buddylist, especially because with MSN 7, you will also see the display pictures on the popup windows... :)
11-27-2004 05:15 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
That will never be done.

Lets say that you have 70 people online, then your computer has to download every single one of the 70 DP, that could get nasty. And if you have a 56 K connection (I have 1Mbit), then it would take forever.

Edit:

quote:
From an "old" news on mess.be (The week of October 31 (2004)

UPDATE: I just received a major heads up from Bot2K3's Inky which the unlearned me is very thankful for. Thumbnail Display Pictures would NOT be protocol/server specific. The client has to support the little thumbnails and right now it doesn't. Inky underlines that putting thumbnail pictures on the contact list will cause considerable bandwidth usage: "Try downloading 150 DP's on a 56k modem upon signing in." And he adds: "A nicklinei is maybe only 20 pixels in height. A thumbnail of that size is too malformed to even be able to see something." He's got two good points there and I guess I was a bit over-enthusiastic when I saw all the other estimated features included.

This post was edited on 11-27-2004 at 05:32 PM by x2zen.
11-27-2004 05:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
quote:
That will never be done.

Lets say that you have 70 people online, then your computer has to download every single one of the 70 DP, that could get nasty. And if you have a 56 K connection (I have 1Mbit), then it would take forever.

I concur, it would take far too long to load and why can't you just wait for the full version of MSN 7?
AC3
11-27-2004 05:21 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen
You download there display picture when they connect, other wise how would it get shown in the signed in pop-up
11-27-2004 05:43 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
You download there display picture when they connect, other wise how would it get shown in the signed in pop-up

Ofcourse you download it when they sign-in, but with this feature you have to download them when you sign-in, and then when they sign-in.
11-27-2004 06:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Skit3000

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist
MSN (Plus?) could cache all display pictures received on the HDD, so that it only has to check if the picture has been changed since the last login. Besides that, who cares if it takes a few minutes to download all pictures? Just begin downloading when you login, and let it download until all display pictures are there. After that, use the same trick as I said above to see if you also have to download the display pictures of people who just came online... :)
11-27-2004 06:38 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
But then imagion having 80 or so contacts online, your contact list would be massive to be able to display all the pictures
11-27-2004 06:42 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: