What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Devilin and the uninstall page

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Devilin and the uninstall page
Author: Message:
Devilin

O.P. Grin  Devilin and the uninstall page
Updated as suggested, everybody happy:D

http://chooseknowledge.com/How-to-uninstall-Messenger-Plus.htm

I'll add the complaints links later, and read any replies in the morning, time for bed night all 8-|
12-01-2004 12:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Devilin and the uninstall page
quote:
I belief The facts about Messenger Plus! document, represents a distorted view of the facts, in many respects, and on many levels
quote:
Updated as suggested, everybody happy
I'm not. There is no distortion of anything in this page. Uninstalling a software from the Add/Remove panel is not unusual at all and the verification code is just part of the uninstaller, evern if you can't read english you'll understand what this box is asking you to do and the fact is that despite the many sponsor-related complains I got this year, I don't remember any single one complaining about that part. I just hope you're not trying too hard to prove how bad my intentions really are and that you'll stick to the facts. Thank you.

Also, you should know that "anti-spy" programs do not try to unisntall the sponsor, they justdelete as many files and reg keys as they can. I never saw any case where a program like adaware would attempt to run an exe from another program (for ovbious security reasons) so the verification window doesn't prevent any of those softwre to do their job.

This post was edited on 12-01-2004 at 01:58 AM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-01-2004 12:56 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Devilin

O.P. RE: Devilin and the uninstall page
Thanks for your reply, Patchou

Just a couple of points,
I have no interests in making any personal attacks upon you, apart from testing your software, I won't now or in the future use it, or any other chat program, and up to a couple of days ago I've never heard of you or your program, I commented that I believe your document, facts about messenger plus is a distorted view of the facts, and  I pointed out one example,  I could have easily run through the entire document, pointing out what I consider distortions, I didn't, even though there's blatant and obvious propaganda style comments made throughout,  its hardly an unbiased or totally accurate and independent statement in any sense of the word, its pro good and righteous message plus all the way, with nasty evil people trying to discredit it, hardly an unbiased look at both points of view,  isn't it ?, honestly ?, at this point your probably tempted to take a confrontational view and ask me to point out every distortion, trust me this wouldn't be a good idea

Uninstall software, by pure definition, deleting files and registry entries, isn't it?
Using a uninstall exe, Although recommended it isn't necessary many anti Spyware programs, have uninstall many programs, by simply deleting files, in the same manner a uninstall exe would,
And suggesting that, a uninstall box, with entry code isn't unusual, please, I've personally never encountered it before, I've uninstalled thousands of programs, although there may be a few programs out there that use this method, its not common, its highly unusual, and to suggest otherwise, wouldn't be a wise decision,
The unusual verification box,?  Would this be a protected file?  Are there any protected files in the message plus program or sponsored  program  preventing anti Spyware programs from uninstalling it ?,  I can check :D

Just the facts, and nothing but the facts:D because I have no personal interests, I'm totally independent, of course, this is a bias statement, I run a anti Spyware site, a more accurate statement would be, I try to remain independent and unbiased

Devilin:)
12-01-2004 07:25 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Hi Devilin,

I agree that the tone of the page is maybea litle pushed sometimes, but you would understand better if you had seen someof the comments I've had in the past year. You can have your opinion, I respect that and as you can see, we're having a discussion here. However, this is not often the case and that's also why I created this page. Not because sites like yours but because others :).

I would just like to add a note about uninstalling. It is true that ninstallign is always deletingfielsand reg keys, however, any "advanced" program will encounter problems if you try to delete some stuff manually (I'm thinking of Office for example). I would see no problem whatsoever if Adaware (to name one) did its job properly and removed everything. However, I do see a problem if it removes half of the files, leaves the toolbar and prevents the userfrom removingit the normal way. The problem is that they don't care as in the end end, it's always the fault of the evil-adware/spyware program and never theirs. The boxthat asks for a code is unusual, however, it doesn't prevent anyone from removingthe software (again, I must insist, nobody ever complained because if they had, I would have asked for this box to be removed).

I just hope you understand my position at least partially. In the end, you have to admit that uninstalling my software and its sponsor is extremely easy, tens of thousands of people do it every day, without breaking a sweat. You have to realise that it's pretty unusualtoo to post an article sayign how to unisntall a software when it's in Add/Remove Programs ;).

Patchou
PS: as far as I know, no antivirus/antispyware detects Plus! as a trojan (why would they?). Some detects the installer of C2Media though, maybe you should rephrase this sentenceof your article.

This post was edited on 12-01-2004 at 07:49 AM by Patchou.
12-01-2004 07:47 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
PS: as far as I know, no antivirus/antispyware detects Plus! as a trojan (why would they?). Some detects the installer of C2Media though, maybe you should rephrase this sentenceof your article.

I'm sorry Patchou, but AVG Antivirus detects it as a trojan, but I'm not sure if it still does..

quote:
Originally posted by site
If you'd like to read some propaganda about the author of messenger plus mr Patchou and the program itself, written by Patchou, titled "get the facts" click the link below
Propoganda, Patchou is purely pointing out the facts that are daily brought up on these forum, for people who misconcieve things, he is pointing out the truth and trying to stop rumours about messenger plus! that started about a month back....

quote:
Originally posted by site

Under the title " Rumor once installed, the sponsor program is extremely hard to remove " under the title facts it then proceeds to explain how easy it is to uninstall, and blames anti-Spyware programs for any problems that occur, and Patchou the programs author suggests you should make complaints to the anti Spyware programs, about only partly installing the messenger plus program, Patchou neglects to mention, the unusual security code box, in the uninstall procedure, designed to ensure only humans and not other programs uninstall messenger plus making it virtually impossible for any anti Spyware program to successful remove messenger plus, and if this unusual security measure was removed, the better anti Spyware programs would probably easily remove messenger plus,

The Sponsor Program is easy to uninstall, I even have videos of me installing it and uninstalling it, then showing that everything is gone.. Using adware/spyware removal programs (as patchou said) will corrupt the files, therefore making removal difficult. The Verification code box is purely procedure for this certain sponsor program as far as I know. Adware/spyware removal programs never do the job, and it wouldn't remove c2media at all.. Its the pure arrogance of the users that install the sponsor and try and use adware/spyware removal programs to get rid of it.. It WILL completely mess up the files, therefore making it uninstallable, lots of programs use the security box for uninstallation, so I don't know what you're on about to be honest.

12-01-2004 08:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Propoganda, Patchou is purely pointing out the facts that are daily brought up on these forum, for people who misconcieve things, he is pointing out the truth and trying to stop rumours about messenger plus! that started about a month back....

Propaganda is the correct word there. Although it may have a negative connotation, the basic definition is to spread one's ideas for a cause.
12-01-2004 08:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Devilin

O.P. RE: Devilin and the uninstall page
Thanks for your replies everybody:D

The page itself is open to correction, revision etc. and you've all been extremely helpful, I'll updated it later tonight, I have some stuff to do

Ddunk,8-|, Thank's

traxor quote:I'm sorry Patchou, but AVG Antivirus detects it as a trojan, but I'm not sure if it still does..

Yes it does, I haven't checked it against other anti virus programs, but the chances are, red flags will be raised, as a lot of anti virus software, uses variations upon the same engine

traxor quote:lots of programs use the security box for uninstallation, so I don't know what you're on about to be honest.

Could you please name lots?  Specifically,;)

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Hi Devilin,

I agree that the tone of the page is maybea litle pushed sometimes, but you would understand better if you had seen someof the comments I've had in the past year. You can have your opinion, I respect that and as you can see, we're having a discussion here. However, this is not often the case and that's also why I created this page. Not because sites like yours but because others :).

I would just like to add a note about uninstalling. It is true that ninstallign is always deletingfielsand reg keys, however, any "advanced" program will encounter problems if you try to delete some stuff manually (I'm thinking of Office for example). I would see no problem whatsoever if Adaware (to name one) did its job properly and removed everything. However, I do see a problem if it removes half of the files, leaves the toolbar and prevents the userfrom removingit the normal way. The problem is that they don't care as in the end end, it's always the fault of the evil-adware/spyware program and never theirs. The boxthat asks for a code is unusual, however, it doesn't prevent anyone from removingthe software (again, I must insist, nobody ever complained because if they had, I would have asked for this box to be removed).

I just hope you understand my position at least partially. In the end, you have to admit that uninstalling my software and its sponsor is extremely easy, tens of thousands of people do it every day, without breaking a sweat. You have to realise that it's pretty unusualtoo to post an article sayign how to unisntall a software when it's in Add/Remove Programs ;).

Patchou

Hi Patchou
Yes, I can see this from your point of view, and I can appreciate how frustrating this must be, especially over a period of time, and I can appreciate how you have become, slightly dogmatically, in your approach, due to the circumstances,

But there is another point of view, the mother whose child has downloaded messenger plus onto their computer without the mother realizing it, Half deleted it with a weekly anti Spyware, scan, and then the nightmare begins, I've tested the program itself in a variety of ways, letting different anti Spyware programs take bites out it, in one scenario I ended up formatting, because of the instability problems, understandably this would make some people angry and frustrate, with you as a obvious target, I hope you also understand this position,

I'll need to go now, I'll return and see about doing some updates

12-01-2004 06:44 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Devilin
I've tested the program itself in a variety of ways, letting different anti Spyware programs take bites out it, in one scenario I ended up formatting, because of the instability problems,

Its your own fault for doing this, it is clearly instructed not to use spyware removal programs, therefore, you put your computer at risk, not patchou's fault..... It won't be stable, nothing will if ad-aware programs take registries and files from it..
12-01-2004 07:22 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
quote:
AVG Antivirus detects it as a trojan, but I'm not sure if it still does
Wrong. AVG detects the setup of the sponsor program when Messenger Plus! extracts it during setup (and I just installed the latest version of AVG Free just to be sure). Again, there's absolutely no reason for any antivirus or antispyware to detect my software as being dangerous as it is not. In fact, the major problem is that on some sites (like on yours apparently), the instructions focus on "you got Messenger Plus! ? here is howto get rid of it" instead of starting with an explanation message, stating that Plus! comes with an optional adware program and that you may have installed it. Sites like yours make Messenger Plus! look like a virus and that's what creates the wrong impression and forced be to create the facts page a couple of days ago (I have nothing against the fact that youshow how to remove my sponsor program, but itwould be faire if you gave a little more information about the product)

And once again, you cannot, under any circumstances and in all logic, hold me responsible for things your various anti-spyware programs have done to your computer.

This post was edited on 12-01-2004 at 08:42 PM by Patchou.
12-01-2004 08:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Devilin
Could you please name lots?  Specifically,
program-wise, no I can't, because I don't installed that much freeware to begin with, but I have come across them regulary. Also, the security box is used on tons of websites, including forums (like mess.be), sites to register passwords (like msn, passport, ebay, ...), etc... etc...

In other words, it is not because you didn't come across such boxes that it is a rare/unusual method. Facts are that it is a very commonly known/reconized method (also the reason why nobody ever complained about it)....

This post was edited on 12-01-2004 at 09:17 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-01-2004 09:16 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: