What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!!

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!!
Author: Message:
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!!
so? lets redirect them to his forums and it will stop :P
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
12-12-2004 12:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Or we could make a subforum here because no matter how much redirecting we do they're still going to come here?
12-12-2004 02:20 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

Why should we provide that level of support for another plugin? Think about it. We don't have support forums here for Windows, and there are questions about Windows which are asked about.

Adding a sub forum here is exactly the same as adding a redirecting sub forum.
12-12-2004 02:27 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Then add a subforum that redirects?  No one presented that idea, thats actually a good idea.
12-12-2004 02:29 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

WDZ can do it.
12-12-2004 03:54 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Why should we have to set up forums to provide support for Stuffplug? If you ask me thats wasting more of our bandwidth. If TB wishes to provide support then he can set up his own forums.
Damn right! :cheesy:

But I am also sick of all the people looking for help with StuffPlug here. Maybe there should be a sub-forum, but I don't want it specific to any one plug-in. How about a forum for "support for any released MsgPlus! plug-in"?

The main forum would be for development, new plug-in suggestions, release annoucements, etc. and the new sub-forum would be for helping people use already-released plug-ins such as StuffPlug.

About the link to a separate StuffPlug board: I think it might annoy users to have to register on yet another board, though I'll keep the idea in mind. :^)

Edit: :| @ Cookie's screenshot... that's ridiculous. :dodgy:

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 05:41 AM by WDZ.
12-12-2004 05:34 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I completely understand the issue of Fukafly...
In fact I'm suprised no-one complained before...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=346238]
and this goes on and on....

IMHO, there are indeed far too much threads about Stuffplug. It is a popular plugin, yes, but this is almost rediculus. Also, most of all those threads are about the same thing (<= hint to helpers, also see below): either a bugreport, either a suggestion or either something which has been asked before....

The suggestion of making an official StuffPlug thread is nice, but this has been done before. There are/were official StuffPlug threads. They went big in no-time with many duplicated questions and things. Result: people can't find in the thread what has been asked before and posted yet another duplicated question or they made new threads, etc...

This is also our own fault in a way: if we redirect them to the post in an "official" thread and leave the original thread with that (or close it), people will find those big "official" threads. But instead, most answers are posted _again_ in the new threads. Making it very easy and justified for people to make yet another new thread with again same questions asked. etc....

StuffPlug subforum? Dunno, maybe, but like said before why a subforum for StuffPlug and not for another plugin, while StuffPlug HAS its own forums (fortunately, they are back open for public and not private anymore). The good thing about a subforum would be that people will find their stuff more easly, both stuffplug-info and other info, and the plugins forum isn't overtaken by StuffPlug anymore (thus making it again a plugins forum, not a stuffplug-forum). The only negative point would be the simple question "why for stuffplug and not for another plugin", which can be justified with the fact that there is no other plugin as popular as stuffplug (Chris, people don't ask questions about Windows problems in 5 threads out of 10).

General existing plugin subforum? IMO, no. It will become just like the current plugins forum. As seen before, some threads can't be put in "new-plugin" catagory or "support"-only catagory. There will be discussions about why this thread is put there and that thread in the other place (eg, a redesigned plugin and a namechange, etc..). Result will be that people have to look for support in two forums...

Simple, "quick"-solution: Start redirecting people to the big "official" stuffplug threads instead of answering a question in a quick "1-sentence" way (where the poster might have an answer on his question, but leaves other potential questions unanswered and other visiting people in the dark). Thus also provide links to those threads and links where people can find more information. Also, more rapidly moving/merging seems like a good idea in some cases...

In this way, the thread-count will get down as people will find those links and known where to look for the info for themselfs.

Currently, it is indeed like the plugins forum is the support forum of StuffPlug.

.png File Attachment: spthreads.png (8.87 KB)
This file has been downloaded 368 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-12-2004 at 05:52 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-12-2004 05:37 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In fact I'm suprised no-one complained before...
It's been on my list of "things to bitch about" for some time now, since some previous issues.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(Chris, people don't ask questions about Windows problems in 5 threads out of 10).
Stop putting holes in my theory! ;)

I really think what we need to do is use MyBB's forum redirection feature it allows you to create a "fake forum" which will redirect to another location. Create a sub forum inside the Plugins one and redirect it to TB's. It would also help if TB actually listed the forum on his website (so far havent been able to find a link to it), and that his threads here linked to those forums.

Like Cookie mentioned earlier, there are a lot of common questions asked about StuffPlug, and bugs too, maybe someone ought to create a nice FAQ or one of those big sticky threads?
12-12-2004 06:16 AM
user13774
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I really think what we need to do is use MyBB's forum redirection feature it allows you to create a "fake forum" which will redirect to another location. Create a sub forum inside the Plugins one and redirect it to TB's. It would also help if TB actually listed the forum on his website (so far havent been able to find a link to it), and that his threads here linked to those forums.

Good idea (y). TB has set up a forum @ http://www.stuffplug.com/forum/ but there is no link to it on the main page. I guess we should tell everyone to go over there. A FAQ in our plugin section is a good solution IMO.
12-12-2004 10:18 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
has set up a forum @ http://www.stuffplug.com/forum/ but there is no link to it on the main page. I guess we should tell everyone to go over there. A FAQ in our plugin section is a good solution IMO.

I agree with most people, the whole stuffplug thing having a subforum is a bit stupid, as other plugin producers would possibly get jealous of this and cause certain happenings around the forum, why don't people just go to the stuffplug forum, I read through the whole thread, and there wasn't one link to the Official Stuffplug Forum apart from on Markus' post, surely most people know that stuffplug has an official forum. But the thing is, not a lot of people go there, why do they always come here, I really don't get it to be honest, I think that it is because on the stuffplug website, I can't see a single link which will take you directly to the forum, I don't think that WDZ should do anything mentioned above, I think that the blasphemer should simply edit his site so that there is a link to the support forum, and IMO, it will reduce the amount of 'Stuffplug' threads immediately pretty much :).
12-12-2004 11:59 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: