What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Malware being advertised at this forum

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Malware being advertised at this forum
Author: Message:
elreteipos

32 / Male / –
O.P. Malware being advertised at this forum
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus_2.htm#crapware describes that some malware is being advertised here. Examples:

[Image: 3.jpg]
A Gator ad, from PrecisionTime, if you download it it secretly installs GAIN on your computer.

[Image: 4.jpg]
Also infected with GAIN, this is a DashBar ad.

[Image: advert.jpg]
A SmileyCentral advertisement, also known as FunWebProducts or FunWeb. It installs a searchbar called MySearch into your browser and displays ads.

The point is, I don't think it's good that there is malware advertised here, this will give this forum a bad reputation.

This post was edited on 01-03-2005 at 09:54 AM by elreteipos.
01-03-2005 09:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum
It's actually on the website, not the forum...and you'll see ads all over the internet like that. I doubt anyone will care, most people just ignore ads.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-03-2005 10:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DarkAdder

It looks like some attention seeking troublemaker has way too much time on his or her hands.
Their is no new News here at all. The adware is optional and it is made very clear that you don't need to install it.

The developer deserves some compensation for his hard work and continued effort with this application. Try and do something constructive and develop your own without the adware if you can.

Surely more constructive use can be made of these forums.
01-03-2005 11:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

No, I think not, Patchou is a very well-known man, and he works his ass off daily to create this third-party add-on, and he needs money, so therefore, puts ad's on his site, he's just trying to earn a living, you can't do that by distributing and amazing extension for free can you, this is also a reason for the optional sponsor program. He could choose to do other stuff to consume his time, but no, he does it to help us, does that sound like a greedy man to you, a guy that has too much time on his hands.

01-03-2005 11:39 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DarkAdder
The adware is optional and it is made very clear that you don't need to install it.
This has nothing to do with the sponsor program :mipdodgy:...it's the stuff he's advertising with unoptional "sponsor" programs
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-03-2005 11:55 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

That webpage is rubbish and is full of untrue information, its just completely stupid... :dodgy: why make sites like this, its a random banner script obviously, of course it would change to messenger plus! every now and then :dodgy:...

Maybe if you would like to stop thinking out of the box and read:
http://www.msgplus.net/getthefacts.php - its a page for people like you...
and
http://mpsupport.toastednet.org - I made a site on how to uninstall it, and its completely easy...
01-03-2005 12:43 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
You and the writer of that page are just pathetic...
Search google for "smiley" and you will get this:
quote:
Sponsored Links
Smiley
The Greatest Icons & Smileys for
Emails, IMs & More - Download Now!
www.smileycentral.com

Free Smiley Cursors
Personalize your desktop cursor.
100% Free download!
http://www.cursorzone.com

smiley
10,000 Free New Smileys!
Download Yours Now. (aff)
SmileyCentral.Good-Offers.com

Free Smileys Are Here
Download Over 10,000 Smileys
Easy to Use and Completely Free
www.SmileyOutlet.com

10,000+ free smiles
Download 10.000+ free smiles for
use with email and IM programs. aff
smiley.vg-network.com/

Free Emoticons Download
Free Emoticons Easy Download
10,000 Great Emoticons. Email & IM
Free-Emoticons.org

Let's go boycott google now, for advertising evil stuff....
freaking idiots....
[Image: theblasp.png]
01-03-2005 12:50 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
your title is wrong, you're talking about the website msgplus.net and not this forum. There are thousands of websites with advertising, it's no big deal :). I just checked, and the only advertisments I can find at that spot are those from Messenger Plus! itself.
01-03-2005 01:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
I just checked, and the only advertisments I can find at that spot are those from Messenger Plus! itself.
Though, there were advertisements from other companies in the past in that spot...

But Sandi (I know you monitor these forums), you make a big mistake. Or rather you leave out some valid information just to make your point:
quote:
(...) Also, when I started receiving spyware complaints about my third-party-provided web page search facility, I also dumped that and created a search facility hosted locally, and also increased the prominence of an MVP created search site that is spyware free.  Why do I tell you this? Because there ARE always alternatives if we find spyware/malware/crapware is being advertised (involuntarily or otherwise) on our web sites.
The big difference between those ads on your old site and these ads on the msgplus site is that you don't had to make a revenue. Those ads generate money for Patchou/Messenger Plus! and you didn't needed those ads on your old site. So stop saying "Because there ARE always alternatives" just like that without telling the whole story, just to make your point...

Instead, do something constructive for a change and tell the world what those "alternatives" are that will generate as much money as those previous ads... Telling people that alternatives exist is easy enough, actually giving a working alternative is something I'm still waiting for to happen (not only from you, but also from the other anti-Plus! people)

This post was edited on 01-03-2005 at 09:27 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-03-2005 09:23 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Though, there were advertisements from other companies in the past in that spot...
in the past yes, but I thought he was talking about the present
01-03-2005 09:42 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: