What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Author: Message:
tgnb

RE: Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
quote:
The fact is that any software installed on your computer can decide to download and execute whatever it wants, C2Media's package is no different.

This is simply NOT TRUE! Actually the opposite is true. The EULAs of most softwares don't have any such clauses allowing the software to download and execute whatever it wants.

I'm going to list some softwares installed on my computer NONE of which have a clause in their EULA stating that the software can decide to download and execute whatever it wants. Those packages don't even have a clause allowing them to update themselves without my consent.

Ad-Aware , Adobe Reader , BitTorrent, Ethereal, FlashFXP, foobar2000, Gaim, Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, Nero, PerfectDisk, Quicktime, Real Player, Gimp, WinRAR, WinSCP, WinPcap, Nmap, etc etc.

Again, none of these softwares have such language in their EULA. Your plain wrong when claiming any different. Prove it. Show the parts of the EULA of any of the above programs that state they can download and execute whatever they want.
01-04-2005 07:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I hope they correct this before a final release. (Y)

I installed the sponsor and nothing bad happened. My computer didn't explode, I didn't get a virus, and it's all working perfectly well. 8-)

I agree with almost everyone here, when users see a notice from their antivirus about a software, they instantly want to get rid of it, and they stop trusting that software.

And knowing Microsoft, they'll do almost anything to get people to have their "awsome" antivirus program, which could mean lots of users getting the false notice about Messenger Plus!

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-04-2005 07:37 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by tgnb
This is simply NOT TRUE! Actually the opposite is true. The EULAs of most softwares don't have any such clauses allowing the software to download and execute whatever it wants.

I'm going to list some softwares installed on my computer NONE of which have a clause in their EULA stating that the software can decide to download and execute whatever it wants. Those packages don't even have a clause allowing them to update themselves without my consent.

Ad-Aware , Adobe Reader , BitTorrent, Ethereal, FlashFXP, foobar2000, Gaim, Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, Nero, PerfectDisk, Quicktime, Real Player, Gimp, WinRAR, WinSCP, WinPcap, Nmap, etc etc.

Again, none of these softwares have such language in their EULA. Your plain wrong when claiming any different. Prove it. Show the parts of the EULA of any of the above programs that state they can download and execute whatever they want.

Erm that doesnt mean that they cant downloaded and execute what they want. Unless your firewall blocks them accessing the internet.
EULA's dont document every little thing the program does
01-04-2005 07:40 PM
tgnb

quote:
Erm that doesnt mean that they cant downloaded and execute what they want. Unless your firewall blocks them accessing the internet.
EULA's dont document every little thing the program does

What a program could hypothetically do illegally and what you agree to on the EULA are 2 completely different things. I responded to a post by Patchou where he claims that the licenses of ANY other software has similar clauses that make it legal for the software to download and execute whatever it wants. And THIS is simply not just untrue but completely misleading. The opposite is true. NO legitimate software I know of has such a clause in it. Again. Prove me wrong. Show me an example in any of the packages i listed above of such language. If the language isnt in the EULA then its illegal for the software to download and execute whatever it wants on my computer. If a company chooses to do illegally download and execute whatever it wants on user's computers this company wont be in business very long.
01-04-2005 08:22 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
tgnb is correct, almost no EULA states that it may download and update itself.
still most softwares do claim that:
quote:
Originally posted by a microsoft EULA
IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR: LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF CONFIDENTIAL OR OTHER INFORMATION, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, PERSONAL INJURY, LOSS OF PRIVACY, FAILURE TO MEET ANY DUTY
quote:
Originally posted by another EULA
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS," "WITH ALL FAULTS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.  LICENSOR, ITS SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTOR DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ANY WARRANTIES ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, OR USAGE OF TRADE.
these quotes are typical for most softwares,
so almost no software promises not to damage ur pc in the EULA!!!

This post was edited on 01-04-2005 at 09:17 PM by zaidgs.
01-04-2005 09:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
The plus EULA doesnt either. It says that it may harm your pc (which it wont unless you distroy it with adaware and other programs like that)
And thats not plus, thats the sponsor a totaly different program.
01-04-2005 09:11 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
im sure if enough people complain the changes will be made, but as many people have said this is GIANT's fault not Microsoft's.
also, if anyone is unclear as to when this software will be release public beta 1 of Microsoft Anti Spyware will be avaliable free of charge on Thursday. As the source for this thread is neowin I suggest you go there if you are interested in using the beta and find the link which will be on the main page occupanied by information on the release.
I hope find
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
01-04-2005 10:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tgnb

quote:
so almost no software promises not to damage ur pc in the EULA!!!

That part of the EULA protects the developer/company from potential harm done to a customer's computer or data by use of the software. The part of the EULA we were discussing before deals with something completely different. The part of the EULA we are discussing is not about protecting the developer/company. The part we are disscussing is about giving the right to a developer/company to basically install anything they want onto your machine without any further consent from you.

I don't mind Microsoft telling me that they cant be held responsible if my business goes bankruppt because Windows blew up and i lost all my data.
But I do mind if an EULA wants to give the company the right to download and install anything on my computer in the future without restrictions.
Patchou says all EULA's are written to give this right, but this is wrong. In fact i can't think of any reputable and legitimate software that has language granting such rights in their EULA. I'm still waiting for someone to prove me wrong.
By bundling adware that contains such language i feel it is well deserved for Messenger Plus to be categorized the way it is. I would be surprised if anyone at Microsoft would make a change to the way this adware in Messenger Plus is handled. Maybe however they can explain it to Patchou in a better way than those of us who have complaining about it in the past. That would be a huge step forward.
01-05-2005 12:35 AM
FrozernFire

GunZ rules!

32 / Male / –
Messenger Discovery's sponsor program's EULA actually gives it the right to download and install anything on your computer. EULAs are more for protecting the company itself from law suits, not to warn people about the program, since very little of them read the EULA
"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret."

Aragorn -"A PEA!! A PEA!! Under my saddle, look Legolas!!! A pea!! Surely only the true King could feel a tiny
pea under all that leather!!!"[/align]
01-05-2005 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: RE: Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
Actually, i installed the MP! version of c2media before but then uninstalled it because my dad didn't like it. the most is a toolbar and change in homepage(oh yes, it's hazardous :refuck:). like what others said, if this is labelled as security lvl high, you should really see other bundled adware. it's much worst

The EULA says a person must be at least 18 years of age, and the owner of the target computer, to be allowed to install the Sponsor.
01-05-2005 11:23 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: