What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...

Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Author: Message:
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
O.P. Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Anybody seen this on Neowin???

[Image: messengerplus.PNG]

Ouch... that's nasty, and I thought microsoft were being nice to Patchou now...

This post was edited on 01-03-2005 at 07:26 PM by alexp2_ad.
01-03-2005 07:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
SlyDawg

36 / Male / –
Huh?  RE: Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Isn't that true it does install spyware if you dont check the box when you install it? i maybe wrong, well its very likely that i have made a mistake
....:::I was wondering why fisbees got bigger when they got closer...then it hit me:::....
01-03-2005 07:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
That threat levels stupidly high.
The adware isnt even a threat because you chose to install it.
And it isnt spyware.
And the adwares on of the lest damaging adware programs there is :undecided:
I would have thought microsoft would have know better but......
* Plik slaps the fools at redmond around a bit with a large trout.
:blah:microsoft:blah:

This post was edited on 01-03-2005 at 07:37 PM by Plik.
01-03-2005 07:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
There is no point in it detecting messenger plus, if messenger plus is there without the adware then the person had the sense to read when installing and if it's there with the adware then it should detect the adware not messenger plus...
01-03-2005 07:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Fraisie
Former Super Mod

Pixie Dust!

42 / Female / Flag
The default action is ignore... I'll contact Microsoft and ask them about the problem.
So, Fraisie.net is empty atm. I\'m trying to come up with something cool to put on it, and I will!
01-03-2005 07:36 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
I don't understand how this has a high level of danger. MS said that their threat level for the worst type of spyware was medium; there surely is something more to this
But it's just a BETA, they want feedback, as long as they know that their information isn't fully true, they will (hopefully) change it.
From what I've heard about this software it should be able (if they configure it correctly) to perform intelligent options to get rid of spyware\adware, so hopefully when it's out it may remove the sponsor program by uninstalling Messenger Plus and then telling people to reinstall it without accepting the sponsor...
However, when this software is around it will probably automatically (when real time protection is enabled) make it difficult to install Plus with the sponsor program. Now many programs like ad-watch already do this, but not everyone has them, eventually MS will make it so the majority of computer users get this software on their computer (it will be harder to keep it off than on), so my main concern about this is that no one will be able to install the sponsor and Patchou's income will suffer as a consequence.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-03-2005 07:56 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I would like to suggest a couple of correction, based on the screenshot posted.

quote:
Threat Level: High
Threat Level: Low (or at least Medium, if Plus! OPTIONAL sponsor is already high, how will they rate cool web search? "Ultra Insane Maximal" ?

quote:
Messenger Plus! installs an OPTIONAL adware...
You can OPTIONALLY choose to install an adware...

quote:
...called C2Media which is also known as LOP.com.
...called lop.com which is developed by C2Media.

quote:
However, it does install other adware programs...
However, it does install other adware programs when you allow it...

quote:
...as well as preform hazardous actions...
...as well as it can preform hazardous actions... (Microsoft: define hazardous)

quote:
In either case this software is not to be trusted.
In either case you should pay attention when installeing this software. It's optional, remember?

Other then that i wonder what kind of action Microsoft's software will take against Plus? Default setting is ignore, meaning that it will leave everything alone? That's ok, but what are the other options? I fear destructing Messenger Plus! itself and leaving the sponsor on the pc :s. Like said before, not Messenger Plus! should be targeted, but the sponsor itself. Although appopriate action against the sponsor will be launching the Messenger Plus! uninstaller.

Besides that, doesn't the Verisign license mean something to this? It shows that the Plus! installer can be trusted according to Verisign right? I don't know a lot about the Verisign licenses, but Microsoft use them too so it must have some meaning to them :). Anyway, Patchou should contact Microsoft.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-03-2005 08:29 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

Aye, this is a Microsoft strikes back issue if you want. Everytime they develop something where coincidently Plus! can't hook it, Patchou comes along (with wtbw too) and they figure out a way. Plus can't do anything about it being listed in the spyware application.

I would personally hold that MVP who holds it ever so dearly to her heart that Plus! is just spyware/adware and has a few pages against Patchou/Plus.

It would be nice of Microsoft, right now I just think they're selfish pigs and hypocrites (:blah:) if they didn't detect Messenger Plus!, but only detected Lop if it was installed. It's not that hard, and would make more sense.

quote:
Thread level: High
:rolleyes:

Without he adware there is no threat!
01-03-2005 08:37 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

* segosa pops into the thread

This isn't Microsoft's fault. They bought the program from GIANT. MsgPlus' rating/etc was all decided by GIANT. Microsoft haven't changed much in the app, yet.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
01-03-2005 09:45 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
There is indeed something fishy going on... Those descriptions sounded very familiar to me, and after a quick search I found out that the descriptions and all come from software like GIANT Anti-Spyware and from other non-microsoft webpages (which of course some people have big influences on those kind of pages)...

So, now even MS is using those not-entirly-correct (some even wrong) definitions just because those people shout the loudest on their forums or do they simply blindly take over the company without correcting things (MS bought Giant Company Software recently)?

EDIT: hehehe, while I was writing this, Segosa already gave it away :D

This post was edited on 01-03-2005 at 09:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-03-2005 09:49 PM
Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: