What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » My fun time building my new PC

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
My fun time building my new PC
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  My fun time building my new PC
Ok, after waiting 2 weeks to get my computer parts I finally got them yesterday. I was a little ticked off that it took so long but I was like "Ok, w/e, I'm going to build the computer and let it go." (NCIX stated the parts would take 2-3 days to arrive).

I come home, unwrap my parcel and start assembling my new computer. I get everything done (CPU in place, heatsink on top, HDD + DVD drive in place and connected, PS hooked up, PCI cards inserted, etc.) then I hit a snag - wrong type of ram. No big deal, I head over to my local Futureshop and pick up a 512mb stick to tither me over until I can afford more.  I get home, yet again, and stick the RAM in. I hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor + start the computer. Fans power up, LEDs go on, everything APPEARS to run, but no image on the screen - just a 'No Signal' message. I tinker around for about an hour then decide to hook up speakers. I get an audible error "System Failed due to CPU overclocking" which isn't possible because this is first boot. I get pissed off. I take apart everything and for about 5 hours try to get it started. Same thing every time. I give up and go on my old PC to search google. I find out that this is a known deffect in some ASUS motherboards that ASUS isn't willing to admit and my RAM has to be moved into the third slot to work. I do this and voila, fixed.

ASUS can expect my complaint in letter and via the phone on Monday :dodgy:.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=358716]

.jpg File Attachment: asus_fail.jpg (42.75 KB)
This file has been downloaded 233 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-09-2005 at 02:31 AM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
01-09-2005 02:23 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Titty

titty is me ;p

– / Female / –
RE: My fun time building my new PC
God, that's horrible.

I bet you lost five pounds removing and installing all your pc parts.

I'm scared to touch my computer anymore.
Everytime I did it, I always had problems like you did.
But I cried about it and screamed. :\

I'm glad you have ram and a working pc. :]
01-09-2005 02:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by Titty
But I cried about it and screamed. :\

haha, me too, me too. It drives me crazy.

Anyways Blade, that must have sucked, maybe a litle research wouldnt hurt before puchasing things next time. At least you got it to work :)
01-09-2005 02:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: My fun time building my new PC
quote:
Originally posted by marissa
maybe a litle research wouldnt hurt before puchasing things next time. At least you got it to work :)

I spent a week researching these products. The deffect is not admitted by ASUS and I only found out about it by looking at a forum post on a dif. forum after entering "System Failed due to CPU overclocking" in google.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
01-09-2005 02:37 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
thanx for that info blade, in future i wont touch anything Asus, had 1 Asus Board when i had a 700Mhz AMD Cpu, the Audio Connector on the Board shatitself which blew up my speakers ( just aswell they were cheapo's) i now use Gigabyte Boards, Never fail,
01-09-2005 03:17 AM
f1d0d1d08989

33 / Male / –
Asus. Oh god. Their customer service here suxs. I got their motherboard once, and it failed right in my face after 3 days of running. Went to their customer service, and what they told me? We do not allow repairs for motherboards that has a known defect. Its your problem if you didnt check before buying. :@ Wasted $300+...
01-09-2005 03:23 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by blade

Ok, after waiting 2 weeks to get my computer parts I finally got them yesterday. I was a little ticked off that it took so long but I was like "Ok, w/e, I'm going to build the computer and let it go." (NCIX stated the parts would take 2-3 days to arrive).
You think thats bad?
quote:
Your order #35946 was placed on the 18/12/2004
Got an email on 22/12/2004 saying that they no longer stock one item and what did I want as a replacement, i replied within an hour.

9/1/2004 and still haven't received anything as it is still "waiting" on stock to arrive.

You'll see an upcoming post on my site about it.
quote:
Originally posted by f1d0d1d08989
Asus. Oh god. Their customer service here suxs. I got their motherboard once, and it failed right in my face after 3 days of running. Went to their customer service, and what they told me? We do not allow repairs for motherboards that has a known defect. Its your problem if you didnt check before buying. Wasted $300+...
They were correct and that is how it is done. It is not their problem directly that your motherboard doesn't work and they would not accept it back. Follow the correct RA (Return Authority) procedure next time that your dealer has in place. You return it to them, they give you a replacement then they send it to Asus. Your 12 month warranty covers the RA. Therefore, they were right in what they said.
01-09-2005 07:19 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
I really am scared of touching the insides of my pc but still do it but am really careful. I'm not that careful even when i'm writting my exams :D
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-09-2005 07:20 AM
f1d0d1d08989

33 / Male / –
Oh okay. But well, it was a something like one and a half years ago. So, I cant get that back anymore. Now, its still sitting at my storeroom...:'(
01-09-2005 07:47 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
since were going on about PC buidling horror stories, i got a PCTV card for a present once, "cool" i thaught, installed it, ran fine for a few days, but when i installed it i didnt have any screws so I just left it to balance there, one day it snapped out of the PCI port and crashed down breaking my network card, and sound card in its wake.

For six months i had to live with no sound, no xbox live, and no PCTV :(
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
01-09-2005 11:34 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites