What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!!

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
2 votes - 3 average   MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!!
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!!
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta will always detect Messenger Plus! as spyware, even when you don't install the sponsor. It's not true that Messenger Plus! installs spyware when you choose not to install the sponsor. This is a known problem in Microsoft Antispyware as well as in Gian't AnitSpyware (which Microsoft bought).

Listing Messenger Plus! as spyware when the sponsor wasn't installed is false, i tried to contact Microsoft about it and am still waiting for their reply. There are also a few topic about it here:
Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
MS Antispyware says Messenger Plus is adware
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)

The data Messenger Plus! sends over the internet are just statics, like which features you use and which version you use. Every of those statics are just numbers, there is no way Messenger Plus! sends private data like name/emailadress/sites your visit or even your password.  You can turn of this in the preferences btw.

I suggest to scan your system with another program, AdAware is a well trusted software and has a free version. See if AdAware detects Messenger Plus! as spyware too.

This post was edited on 01-09-2005 at 03:43 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-09-2005 03:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

They're up to date as of ~2 hours ago when they were scheduled to update and yet they do not detect anything - not one bit of adware and spyware on my machine.

Where are these screenshots?

Also i've removed your avatar because it was way too large for the forums.
01-09-2005 03:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
LaRonde20

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!!
Tell me something, why do you use such a horible sponsor?
- Music Pirate (A.K.A The Swapper P2P)
01-09-2005 03:45 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by LaRonde20
Altho, I not for KaZaA, its a kewl logo! Dobnt download KaZaA, get KaZaA Lite
Can you stay on topic? Or do you not have proof that "Messenger Plus! has spyware that isnt optional".

I've deleted your spam posts, such as the one I quoted above. Continue to spam and you'll be banned.

Messenger Plus! uses Lop/MySearchNow because it is the sponsor package Patchou chose and they have allowed him to strip it down a lot so it isn't as harsh as it initially was.
01-09-2005 03:51 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Tell me something, why do you use such a horible sponsor?

Its not a bad sponsor at all, adds a few desktop icons and a toolbar to IE, I've installed it multiple times with no problems of removal...

If you can read LaRonde, you can read that it says it is an adware bundler, which means that it has adware in the installer, but it is OPTIONAL, which it is, its not saying that the installer is adware, its saying that if you install the software in it, it is adware, its nothing but adware, anything but SPYWARE... don't be so arrogant okay... try and listen to others, I doubt that you contacted microsoft tbh, because they didn't even put in the definitions etc. GREAT did, the people who have created a partnership for this piece of software...
01-09-2005 03:55 PM
LaRonde20

41 / Male / –
READ THE EDITORS NOTES OF THIS SITE! I just went live chat with the staff or Download.com, and said that its NOT with the Optional Toolbar!

http://www.download.com/Messenger-Plus/3000-2150_...2.html?tag=lst-0-7

Also, you can read users coments at this site:

http://www.download.com/3302-2150_4-10320442.html
01-09-2005 03:56 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Excuse me, but a lot of what people say on such sites is a biased opinion, i'm not being modest or anything, but I'm sure that we know a great deal more about the bundled adware in the installer than other people, we know the background, whether or not you believe what we say is up to you, but I urge you to reconsider your opinion...

Yes, MSGPlus! has bundled adware in it, but it doesn't install unless you want it to, we have methods of removal, we are helping people uninstall it daily, and then you can reinstall, without the sponsor, no hastle...

btw, i doubt microsoft would put the definition there sarcastically, it would be completely unprofessional IMO.
01-09-2005 04:00 PM
LaRonde20

41 / Male / –
Well, ask Microsoft yourself! I know I did!
01-09-2005 04:02 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

Once again I remind you not to spam or double post. There is this lovely button called: [Image: edit.gif] which will allow you to edit your posts after you have posted them.

You're also making up excuses for what we've already covered. The sponsor package you elected to install (which you say you didnt) is completely optional. Plus! will not install anything if you say NO. This is how it has been, this is how it will be.

traxor is right, the peoples opinions on Cnet/downloads.com are incorrect as they havent paid any attention themselves when installing Plus! and mistook the sponsor agreement for a license agreement for Plus!, meaning they installed the sponsor. They refuse to hold themselves accountable for their actions.

I'm still waiting on those screenshots of detections by Spybot and Adaware, oh, thats right, you were bluffing?

quote:

It isn't Microsoft who added Plus! to the definitions. It has been there since they bought the software of GIANT. Also it is not a sarcastic remark, it states that it is optional - the end. If you did email Microsoft like you said (once again, i guess you're lying) they would definately not have replied with the OPTIONAL being a sarcastic remark.

That is completely unprofessional of them, and they wouldn't do it - not to mention GIANT has called Plus! spyware since the beginning and Microsoft had nothing to do with it being detected.

This post was edited on 01-09-2005 at 04:06 PM by surfichris.
01-09-2005 04:04 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I just went live chat with the staff or Download.com, and said that its NOT with the Optional Toolbar!
Where did you had a live chat with download.com staff? And who said "its NOT with the Optional Toolbar!" and what did he/she mean with it?

quote:
So did i, didn't had reply yet. Could you tell me in which way you contacted Microsoft because i would like to hear from them aswell.

I like to clear things up for you, but you must be willing to listen and take some time to read what people are saying here, please.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-09-2005 04:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: