What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » USB ports...DISABLED/!!!!

Pages: (6): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
USB ports...DISABLED/!!!!
Author: Message:
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
O.P. RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!!
Ummm...wow, thats alot of money. Ill buy one. :D
Now can we get thsi issue with the USB ports figured out?

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 04:05 AM by Purity.
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
01-10-2005 04:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Skin Ticket
Ummm...wow, thats alot of money. Ill buy one. :D

Do you know how to build a PC? :-/
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
01-10-2005 04:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
Learning how kinda, everything is kinda colour coded and stuff, it's pretty easy, watched friends make one, one time.
01-10-2005 04:07 AM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Learning how kinda, everything is kinda colour coded and stuff, it's pretty easy, watched friends make one, one time.

:lol:
It's not colour coded :P The keyboard/mouse/etc are colour coded, but to build a PC from scratch at your level would be suicide :lol:

Rather take a course on how to build one or stick to pre-assembled computers :p

(FYI I run a computer building company if you're interested and I can build custom machine :P.)

It's great if you know HOW to build a PC, but if you think the stuff is colour coded then boy are you in for a bad surprise :P $10 says you'd fry your CPU before you stuck it in the socket. :P

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 04:11 AM by .blade//.
01-10-2005 04:10 AM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:

:lol:
It's not colour coded :P The keyboard/mouse/etc are colour coded, but to build a PC from scratch at your level would be suicide :lol:

Rather take a course on how to build one or stick to pre-assembled computers :p

(FYI I run a computer building company if you're interested and I can build custom machine :P.)

It's great if you know HOW to build a PC, but if you think the stuff is colour coded then boy are you in for a bad surprise :P
:)That's odd, b/c the PC my friends were building had almost all the wires colour coded for its slot to go into the slots, also had numbers...
01-10-2005 04:12 AM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
They probably color coded it themselves, because I've never seen one that was... and I've worked with computers on quite a few occasions :dodgy:
01-10-2005 04:14 AM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
They probably color coded it themselves, because I've never seen one that was... and I've worked with computers on quite a few occasions :dodgy:
I don't know
01-10-2005 04:16 AM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Nope. Some wires have things like "USB" or "IDE" written on it, and the Hard Drive and CD/DVD/floppy reader chords are colour coded, but not the main parts. PC building isn't as easy as it seems...

Here's a quiz to see if you're ready to build a 64-bit PC. Post your replies and I'll tell you if you're ready. Do this from your head, not from google :-/.

A) What is the difference between an s754 and s939 processor?
[    ]

B) What is newer: AGP or PCI Express?
[    ]

C) What's the min. voltage you should have for a 64-bit system's Power Supply?
[    ]

D) What's a Heatsink?
[    ]

E) True or False: You should NEVER ground yourself before installing computer parts.
(True)  (False)

F) True or False: BIOS is required before you can start the computer.
(True)  (False)

G) True or False: 99% of the time, BIOS DOES NOT come with the Motherboard.
(True)  (False)

H) What does CPU stand for?

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 04:24 AM by .blade//.
01-10-2005 04:19 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
It's not colour coded The keyboard/mouse/etc are colour coded, but to build a PC from scratch at your level would be suicide
Umm, alot of the stuff is colour coded these days. Where you plug the power button and pc speaker wires in to the jumper socket on the motherboard, most manufacturers now colour code them. Things like RAID sockets are colour coded green these days too, and you'll get some ATA cables which are green too, I wonder where they go :-o Same with IDE cables, SATA cables, the power connectors :-o

As for "his leve" anyone can build a PC. It is pretty much self explanitory, where things will fit and where they wont. All he needs to do is read is motherboard book and it contains a full set of instructions.

quote:
(FYI I run a computer building company if you're interested and I can build custom machine .)
My honest opinion: I don't think you have the knowledge to be running a computer building company. You need a very good amount of knowledge to be able to run one successfully, not some garage business.

Back to the USB ports, are they onboard ones on the motherboard or are they provided with an extra card which connects to the mother board?

Windows should automatically detect them, however in some cases if it does not then you should have received a set of CD's with your PC which will install the USB Root hub drivers and drivers allowing you to make proper use of the USB ports.

[edit]
quote:
C) What's the min. voltage you should have for a 64-bit system's Power Supply?
[    ]
Minimum voltage? Don't you mean power rating? (Watt's?) And it always varies depending on the motherboard and any other components you have in the system.

Blade, what does an ALU do?
quote:

E) True or False: You should NEVER ground yourself before installing computer parts?
(True)  (False)
It isn't compulsory. I've only grounded myself a few times, one a few occassions installing RAM etc. If you know what you're doing then you don't really need to. I've never had any part of mine or someone elses damaged because I wasn't grounded.

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 04:28 AM by surfichris.
01-10-2005 04:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I don't think you have the knowledge to be running a computer building company. You need a very good amount of knowledge to be able to run one successfully, not some garage business.

It's not just some Garage business :dodgy: and I do know a lot about computers :-/.

Anyways, If they are USB ports not attached the the motherboard then are they a card, or front (case) mounted?

I can't hook up the 2 ports on the front of my case AND the extra USB card my case comes with because the motherboard doesn't have enough sockets....:p
01-10-2005 04:27 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: