What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » computer on/off

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
computer on/off
Author: Message:
user35870
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: computer on/off
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
    quote:Originally posted by Carltos Cool
    Well what I am trying to tell you is that if the computer gets too hot bad things might happen. Basically if you don't need to keep it on then don't. Plus it's a waste of money to keep the computer on when you don't need it.

Its bad for the enviroment also if in your country the most used sources of energy are not renewable...

The computer doesnt get too hot because the fans are frequently expelding the hot hair... and its winter

ok thanks for the advice :)

This post was edited on 01-25-2005 at 10:43 PM by user35870.
01-25-2005 10:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
RE: computer on/off
I leave my computer on for 24hours then after that my dad will just come in my room and press "THE BUTTON"! No matter what's running...:P:|, The longest I've had it on was for 101 hours. :P

[Off-Topic]

the highest temp I had it at was 51 Degrees, and it averages 30
The Small LCD moniter on the Tower will tell me when it's too hott, it's never been too hot yet tho....:p
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
01-25-2005 10:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
well my time record is one day and 13 hours or so ...i think its good to leave it on...if u turn off the monitor there's no prob...my friends monitor the other day got burnt:P
01-25-2005 10:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
i leave mine on from when i wake up till when i got to bed which is probly about 18 hours i dont sleep alot.. but i turn my screen off when im not here.
01-26-2005 03:49 AM
emit
Disabled Account

more than 30 hours is bad?! not more than one day?! what what what?

My PC has been on for 79 days at its longest. But it got used most days. I once went away on holiday and left it on for two weeks. I leave it on, connected to the internet/IRC for days, sometimes without touching it. Keep it turned on. ;>
01-26-2005 04:06 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
There is no problem in that.. that way they dont get a lot of dust and other things that acumulate when something is stopped
wtf? :p Dust accumulates inside your PC when it's turned off? If it's turned off, the dust is unlikely to get in there in the first place... :^)

I usually turn my PC off when it's not gonna be used for more than like 3 hours. I dunno if that's the best thing to do, but it makes sense to me, for the power savings if nothing else. I think it's comparable to turning off the lights when you leave a room. Other points include less wear on moving parts (fans, hard drive), and increased security: with a broadband (always on) connection, a computer is obviously more secure if it's turned off.
01-26-2005 04:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chris100
is it better to leave a computer running (if you use it day and out) or switching it off then turning it on again?

Windows is Dumb, needs to be rebooted every day atleast once or twice, so it is better to turn it off when your not using it
01-26-2005 04:36 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
There is no problem in that.. that way they dont get a lot of dust and other things that acumulate when something is stopped
wtf? :p Dust accumulates inside your PC when it's turned off? If it's turned off, the dust is unlikely to get in there in the first place... :^)

I usually turn my PC off when it's not gonna be used for more than like 3 hours. I dunno if that's the best thing to do, but it makes sense to me, for the power savings if nothing else. I think it's comparable to turning off the lights when you leave a room. Other points include less wear on moving parts (fans, hard drive), and increased security: with a broadband (always on) connection, a computer is obviously more secure if it's turned off.
I totally agree with you, WDZ. If boot up time is your concern, then configure Windows to use your power button to hibernate (Control panel > Energy options > Hibernation*), it will shutdown and boot up faster, and as you left it :-)

* = crappily translated from Spanish Windows XP :grin:

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Windows is Dumb, needs to be rebooted every day atleast once or twice, so it is better to turn it off when your not using it
Not if you're using Windows 2000/XP. :)
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
01-26-2005 06:31 AM
Moo

RE: RE: computer on/off
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

I totally agree with you, WDZ. If boot up time is your concern, then configure Windows to use your power button to hibernate (Control panel > Energy options > Hibernation*), it will shutdown and boot up faster, and as you left it :-)

* = crappily translated from Spanish Windows XP :grin:
That's exactly what I do... Hibernate closes and saves your open programs and loads them up like they were when you boot. 
01-26-2005 06:44 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

My current uptime is: 2wks 5days 15hrs 32mins 32secs
My record is: 5wks 5days 9hrs 22mins 40secs

I have a program called Windows Uptime running all the time collecting stats and the average time I reboot my computer is every two weeks.

I have only once turned off my computer: when I went on holiday for a week. Apart from that it has been running non-stop for 730+ days.

And no, Windows XP isn't any different after 5 weeks of use compared to after it's just been rebooted. :)

EDIT: http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/powerOnOff-c.html

This post was edited on 01-26-2005 at 06:58 AM by segosa.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
01-26-2005 06:51 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: