What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon
Microsoft Beta co-ordinator, Roger Holland, has just informed current testers of Windows Update v5 that version 6 of the update service is due to hit beta soon.

The Windows Update v5 beta ended late last year and Windows Update v5 is the current release that millions of users across the world are using. In an email to testers, Holland, thanks v5 testers and reminds testers that "the WU v6 beta is for testing only; you should not rely on this site to maintain security updates on any operational, non-test system."

The new release of Microsoft Update will aim to keep Microsoft products secure and up to date with the latest patches, beginning with Windows, Office, SQL, and Exchange. Microsoft are currently developing Windows Update Services for enterprise customers wishing to update Microsoft Windows 2000/XP, Microsoft Office XP/2003, Exchange and SQL.

We're not sure on an exact date but the beta will open its newsgroup doors within the next 2 weeks. Stay tuned for the latest news on WUv6 here at Neowin.net

Windows Update v6 Comming Soon
01-27-2005 11:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon
If you keep copying and pasting articles from Neowin like this, I'm going to assume it's just a dodgy way of increasing your post count, and start moving your threads to T&T. :p
01-28-2005 04:37 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon
:P  doesnt bother me at all  like it does sum :)
01-28-2005 05:07 AM
uberdosis

digital evil

37 / Male / –
Why cant M$ ever get things right the first time.
[Image: skav.jpg]
01-29-2005 09:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
not many software companies get it right the first time. Most software they release is beta tested, however that can hardly ever find all bugs and things that would be cool.

So when they release to the wider public, people will find problems with the software, and then they will be fixed in the next version.

You could hardley expect Microsoft to release Windows XP when they released Windows 1.0?
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
01-29-2005 09:36 AM
The_Thief

The man with a thousand sites :D

48 / Male / –
Did they get bored with 5? lol
01-29-2005 04:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
lease to the wider public, people will find problems with the software, and then they will be fixed in the next version.

I doubt you're a coder. If you were you would understand that people rarely write a piece of code right FIRST time. I myself always end up with stupid mistakes at compile-time like a missing semicolon, or some sort of syntax error. Most are easy to fix but then there are times when you haven't written a loop properly or incremented a variable at the right place/etc so you need to spend a while debugging to fix it.

Most of the time something doesn't work and you can spend hours trying to fix it, only to find out finally at the end it was something INCREDIBLY simple. It's frustrating as hell. I once spent about half an hour on a dodgy regex that would NOT work, turns out it was because new-lines aren't counted in .* :(
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
01-29-2005 04:59 PM
megamuff

36 / – / –
whats all this about v5? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ redirects to v4, so obviously that is the latest release.. um.. maybe you have your numbers crossed or something but... :|
01-30-2005 12:25 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Windows Update v6 Beta Coming Soon
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
not many software companies get it right the first time. Most software they release is beta tested, however that can hardly ever find all bugs and things that would be cool.

So when they release to the wider public, people will find problems with the software, and then they will be fixed in the next version.

You could hardley expect Microsoft to release Windows XP when they released Windows 1.0?

they can find all Bugs, thats why the Public or inhouse testers are there to locate the Bugs, its jsut Microsoft trying to improve  or beat Redhats Up2date feature
01-30-2005 12:49 AM
Vazza

– / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
whats all this about v5? http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ redirects to v4, so obviously that is the latest release.. um.. maybe you have your numbers crossed or something but... :|

I think the update thing goes by Windows Version (though I could be wrong) I have v4 on windows 98, and v5 on XP.

Feel free to correct me if I'm worng
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7272 days, 13 hours, 41 minutes, 6 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
01-30-2005 01:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: