What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » The realism of 3D these days.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
The realism of 3D these days.
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. The realism of 3D these days.
I've been thinking. How long do you think it will be until all movies are done in 3D and there are no longer Hollywood actors? I mean you can do more with 3D, it doesn't cost as much and editing is easy :P I mean just look how realistic 3D is getting right now (and think about where it will be in 10 years :|). I think that ESPECIALLY the FFVII: Advent Children movie looks really good. Getting prety damn close to life-like.

(Click images to enlarge).

Half-Life 2 (PC) (released):
[Image: half-life_2-7.jpg]

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (movie) (release pending):
[Image: attachment.php?pid=370462]

Halo 2 (Xbox) (released):
[Image: H2MP_Beta_WWScorpion.jpg]

Far Cry (PC) (released):
[Image: far-cry-5.jpg]

.jpg File Attachment: ac_cloudshades_1024.jpg (81.15 KB)
This file has been downloaded 293 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-29-2005 at 05:37 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
01-29-2005 05:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: The realism of 3D these days.
There was a documentary on this a while ago and I think the conclusion was until we can develop stable advanced holographic imaging devices, we can't ever be perfect in this area.
I don't think we'll ever see the end of Hollywood actors, it's the real thing
When I was watching Spiderman (both one and two), the effects were less impressive when I knew they were CGI. And even Wire Fu made me less impressed in the Matrix fighting than with Bruce Lee's fighting at times.
There's always something very better about the real thing...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-29-2005 05:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

you really can't compare halo 2 or half life 2 to FF or far cry... :-/

if a console would had better specs, i'm pretty sure the 3d would be like real, instead of still having lil' cubes....
01-29-2005 05:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
Final fantasy one looks really really real..
And far cry graphics are wesome too...

Halo 2 are not that special.. :P

See this site: http://www.alias.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/quiz.html

I got all right except : http://www.alias.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/images/large_f07.jpg because i said it was real :D

This post was edited on 01-29-2005 at 05:53 PM by paperless.
01-29-2005 05:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: The realism of 3D these days.
quote:
Originally posted by paperless

See this site: http://www.alias.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/quiz.html

I got 9 out of 10 :P
Most of the time, it's not hard to tell real from 3D, but if you get a group of pros working on something like FFVII: AC then you have something special (I have to say, I think FFVII: AC is the most realistic 3D movie made to date.)
01-29-2005 05:54 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
yay, i only got three wrong :banana:

I don't think we will ever get movies being made completley in CG. The Final Fantasy movies do look real at times, but there are far too many times when you can just tell it is completely fake.

And in order to sustain realistic graphics for that amount of time, im guessing it would take a long time to make and render.

Plus, a lot of the time the actors are a massive selling point to the film.

And I can see it maybe happening with the high budget films in a long long time, but there will always be the indie films that will definatly be completely real.

Plus, with films that aren't really based on extremely out-there story lines, it would probably be cheaper to do it in real life.

What more likely is that we will just continue as it is now, i.e. certain stunts are done by CG. But they will get more realistic.

This post was edited on 01-29-2005 at 05:59 PM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
01-29-2005 05:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: The realism of 3D these days.
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
What more likely is that we will just continue as it is now, i.e. certain stunts are done by CG. But they will get more realistic.

I believe that will only last another 10 to 15 years, then more and more films will be 100% 3D.

Also, random cool fact: In the first FF movie they had to draw every hair on the character's head individually o.O .
01-29-2005 06:46 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Its getting pretty realistic. I had played fifa 98 and 2000 on a friends pc and when i bought mine the latest fifa was 02. That seemed pretty good at that time till 03 came along. And every passing year when u may think it wont be that much better than the last one it is. All new versions of games are extremely realistic. Even movies like matrix are almost absolutely perfect. That bullet dodging scene in the 1st one is perfect. Everyone knows its made on the pc but look at how realistic it is. Well the actor mabbe still standing there during the show and the background mabbe put later but u cant find a flaw in the lighting effect. I saw on discovery that in animation in movies like the matrix the light is the toughest prob cause u can say just by looking at the light somethings wrong cause it feels so. Every surface reflects light and thus if it was made earlier on the pc it would look unrealistic but now i feel that matrix 1 really broke the laws and brought a new dimension.
I cant wait till about 10 yrs on like blade said. it'll be amazing what such graphics can do. The movies i feel will become really realistic.
I took the test. Got 10/10 :D
Btw i4got to say that as these graphics improve we need to update our pc's as well :dodgy: thats why i havent played any new game in the past few months and wont be playing (atleast in my home) till around about june 05 :@
Got full 4/4 in the bonus as well :o
EDIT: OMG that final fantasy one is so real. I actually feel that it is real. Is it ?

.jpg File Attachment: 10 out of 10.JPG (23.62 KB)
This file has been downloaded 84 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-29-2005 at 07:23 PM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-29-2005 07:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Abz2k4

ph34r m3

35 / Male / –
I agree that 3D graphics are becoming more life like as technology advances, compare some recent Computer animated films like Final Fantasy, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles with older movies like Toy Story and Monsters Inc and you should notice a significant differance.

As for games, the graphics are getting even better as more powerful hardware is developed . Playing some of the new Fifa games are like actually watching a real Football match.
[Image: abzmksig9ae.png]
01-29-2005 08:09 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Abz2k4
Playing some of the new Fifa games are like actually watching a real Football match.

Agreed they even slowed its pace down so it feels real. Hl 2 (played at a mate's house) has awesome graphics. hl 1 is nothing in front of it.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-29-2005 08:23 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend