What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Broadband Playing Up

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Broadband Playing Up
Author: Message:
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. Huh?  Broadband Playing Up
Hey, i wonder if anyone could help me out.

About 2 days ago I noticed a dramatic change in my speed with Broadband. I'm on a 1mbit connection and normally downloads would reach about 115kb/s max.

2 days ago I was experiencing real bad trouble - downloads were over half as slow as they should be. So after numerous system restores and spyware scans it worked for a bit - but the problem just came creeping back over time.

I may sound kinda fussy - but if i'm paying so much for this 1mb broadband I want to get "the full experience", rather than just expecting half of it.

Now the speed varies, it can bounce from 10kb/s to 110kb/s any time at all, on every site I go on.

How can I fix this?

Cheers (Y)
02-05-2005 05:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Broadband Playing Up
A little more infomation would help, for example;

Are you using a NAT\Router? Have you got a direct connection to the internet? What were the results of the spyware\adware scans? Are you on an ADSL\DSL\T1 ect line?

This problem is suited to your ISP, if you contact them they may be able to tell you about this.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-05-2005 05:19 PM
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. RE: Broadband Playing Up
I'm using a Router but the main PC is the one experiencing the problems. Spyware/Adware scans previously shown an unknown registry value that Ad-aware claimed was suspicious, and the odd few cookies. I'm behind a firewall however the settings the firewall currently uses at the moment have worked properly ever since I had it. I think i'm on ADSL (don't really know the difference between ADSL and DSL though)

If all else fails I will give my ISP tech support a call, it's AOL - so wish me luck =$
02-05-2005 05:52 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Are you sure that the router isn't getting slow speeds? There may be some tool on it to monitor bandwidth...
Also if you have a spare ADSL modem (or you can borrow one) see if when you connect to the internet using that you get the same problem.

quote:
Originally posted by frankiedaman
If all else fails I will give my ISP tech support a call, it's AOL - so wish me luck =$
AOL, dude you'll need good luck...
02-05-2005 06:00 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Reset both the cable modem and the router. Pull out the power for both for 10 seconds and reconnect them. Run a speed test on your PC. www.toast.net
02-05-2005 06:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. RE: Broadband Playing Up
Anubis - I happened to have a spare DSL modem laying around - I tried that but it still got slow speeds - which means it isn't anything to do with my router specifically

Matty, My router has a built in modem so all i need to do is unplug the router. Thx for the advice, i'll try it out now.
02-05-2005 06:14 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by frankiedaman

Matty, My router has a built in modem so all i need to do is unplug the router. Thx for the advice, i'll try it out now.

By reset, I think Matty meant to use the reset button or reset method. Most routers have them (but some wired ones may not). Usually all routers have a way to reset, but unplugging them just cuts the power yet saves settings.
I can't see how that could fix it now that the problem has nothing to do with the router and the modem.
The problem is either the line or the computer and because the system restore cleared it up by bet is it's the computer. It may be a good idea to erase all connections (both for the internet using the modem and the connection to the router) and then put them back on after a restart.
02-05-2005 06:20 PM
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
my router does that sometimes and internet slows to a crawl, usually just rebooting the router (turning it off and on with switch at the back) works fine
02-05-2005 06:30 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
my router does that sometimes and internet slows to a crawl, usually just rebooting the router (turning it off and on with switch at the back) works fine
is what i ment
02-05-2005 07:57 PM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
what else u can do is turn off the computer and the router for like 2 mins and then restart everything and see if that works, and if it doesnt conctact the broadband company
You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

02-05-2005 07:59 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: