What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Sign in is pissing me off

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Sign in is pissing me off
Author: Message:
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Sign in is pissing me off
well...i had the same problem in mIRC..it was cause of my firewall and that i shared my internet and the place (my neighbour) where all the internet was connected and another firewall so it was like 2 firewalls and it took like 2 mins to get connected to mIRC...its prolly because of ur firewall setting...the firewall that windows XP has sux so mu can turn that off...that might make it a little faster

do u share internet?
You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

02-19-2005 07:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Sign in is pissing me off
yes with the pc downstairs. When turning off the firewall it doesn't change a thing tough...
But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
02-19-2005 07:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by exca

yes with the pc downstairs. When turning off the firewall it doesn't change a thing tough...

I noticed when I turned it off normally; it didn't actually turn off for my LAN. Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Windows Firewall > (Make sure it's off) > Advanced > Make sure it is unchecked there. Click Ok. When you turn it off in general for the internet it doesn't affect the network version.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-19-2005 08:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Exca

36 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  RE: Sign in is pissing me off
Again nothing:( I'm confused, there has gotta be a way, V5 works great... What is causing this problem???

Mission Impossible I could say..
But that is my opinion!

02-19-2005 08:16 PM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
maybe ur computer doesnt accept or run some files that come with msn 6 or higher and that makes it slower

this what i just said is just a thought

02-19-2005 08:17 PM
Exca

36 / Male / –
dunno, deleted the register, did a clean install, nothing. PC downstairs doesn't run msn properly also... I tried like everything. I have SP2. And I deleted Windows Messenger... but that won't make a difference right... So waiting for the final relase of 7.0 is an option, and see.. but it doesn't look beautiful because I just tried that leaked private beta and it's also that slow... and it's close to the final one.. it's very weird, I don't understand :( This thread isn't pointless after all... there are always new possible solutions and that way we get closer to the cause of the problem, altough I feel like being not there at all.

But anyway:p

Greets
But that is my opinion!

02-19-2005 10:35 PM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
yea i understand ur problem, it might be due to firewall, maybe u cud turn the firewall completely off and then try, if that doesnt help then dont forget to turn the firewall back on :P

02-19-2005 10:41 PM
Exca

36 / Male / –
yeah i tried to turn of that firewall completely, together with the one in my router, but nothing. Yes I turned it back on :P Maybe i'll try installing Windows Messenger again, you can never know
I reinstalled windows messenger but it doesn't change a thing, it seemed okay first but sign-in time takes as long as before... i will make a movie of the thing so you can watch it...

Help me out please :D
this is a movie i took of my sign in, watch how long it takes before my contactlist appears:

http://users.pandora.be/dj_exca/msnfreeze.avi

-> I suggest you click save as...

I hope I took the right codec so you can view it..
Oww yeah, I also tested windows messenger as i installed it anyway and sign-in takes no-time, in a moment i'm online and my list appears immediately. Guess msn itself is the one to blame.... :'(
But that is my opinion!

02-20-2005 09:45 AM
nathtaylor

maybe its the number of smilies people have in their display name that takes msn7 a while to work out and draw. i've noticed msn being pretty slow the first time it shows my contacts list if people have a lot of those in my contacts list... its even slower if i've also got "this is a shared computer so dont save my address book on it" set on too...

does it log in any faster if you turn on "display by email address" (Contacts menu/Manage contacts/view contacts by/email address...)?
02-20-2005 01:59 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by exca
And I deleted Windows Messenger... but that won't make a difference right
Do not uninstall Windows Messenger because MSN Messenger uses several of its APIs...You can disable it using CookieRevised's Reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger

quote:
Originally posted by nathtaylor

maybe its the number of smilies people have in their display name that takes msn7 a while to work out and draw.
Due to the timing that the contact names are delivered to the client and when they work them out, this is not a likely cause...

quote:
its even slower if i've also got "this is a shared computer so dont save my address book on it" set on too...
Again, same thing...

quote:

does it log in any faster if you turn on "display by email address" (Contacts menu/Manage contacts/view contacts by/email address...)?
This got me thinking, when a problem seems to have no cause. Just try random setting changes (nothing really big). And eventually it may work.

This post was edited on 02-20-2005 at 02:07 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-20-2005 02:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: