What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Ram....

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Ram....
Author: Message:
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: RE: Ram....
quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
I'll just go ahead and have a shot at explaining what RAM is as well. ;)

Ok, so imagine that you're writing an essay, but you have a limited volcabulary. So you get a dictionary (this being the computer harddrive) and start writing the essay using this. But you quickly realize that you keep looking up the same words again and again, so you devise a new solution: Writing down your commonly used words in a quickly-accessable notebook (this being the comptuer RAM).

But wait... suddenly your notebook starts to fill up, so you decide to put some sheets of paper from the notebook back into the dictionary (let's just say underneath the front cover). This was supposed to illustrate what the harddrive's page file does... It's simply a slow backup solution for the RAM. So if you're browsing the net in Internet Explorer and then open a game, the game will need so much RAM that Windows will have to free up some RAM by swapping Internet Explorer into the pagefile.

Comprendes? ;)

It's called SWAP. Nice explanation though :)
02-10-2005 08:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: Ram....
Since we're all giving explanations I'll try and explain it in a technical way people can understand..

(NOTE: Some things may not be exactly right, I'm trying to keep it extremely simple...)

Everything is text. From text files to Word documents to images to the MSN Messenger executable to what is sent down that modem. You can assume that text is letters of the alphabet, punctuation etc. There are also 31 characters which you cannot 'see' and have special meaning. There are 255 characters in all. I will refer to it as "binary text".

If you open an image file in notepad, you will see binary text.
If you watch what is being sent down your modem, you will see it is simply binary text. There is no magic when it comes to computers, everything can be understood.

Now. Your hard drive stores every file on your computer. And remember, it's simply binary. When you run a program (a .exe) Windows has to read the contents of the file (remember it's all readable bytes (byte = 1 character)) and execute it. Windows can execute the binary, this is how it runs applications.

Right now you're probably looking at this post through your browser. This text you're reading has to be stored somewhere. While it is being stored on your hard-drive for caching purposes, it's actually right this moment in RAM.

RAM can do the same as a hard-drive: store data (binary..). The difference is that it's very fast to access its data. Also, when you turn off your computer its contents are all deleted. When you close your browser, this text will be removed from RAM as it is unnecessary, you don't need to read this post anymore.

Hmm, well, I tried.. I hope it helps. :p Ask whatever questions (directed at the people who learnt something from this) if you want...
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
02-10-2005 09:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Ram....
quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
It's called SWAP. Nice explanation though :)

I believe the word 'swap' is already mentioned in there somewhere! ;) (or 'swapping', but what the heck)...

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
The difference is that it's very fast to access its data. Also, when you turn off your computer its contents are all deleted.

On a side note, there's actually supposably a new generation of RAM on its way (or so I read). One that doesn't forget its data upon power loss... like flash ram I guess, only seriously faster, thus meaning that you'll be able to have your computer up and running in a matter of seconds. I couldn't find any webpages to document this, though. :) Can't wait to see what the future will bring.

//////Zred

This post was edited on 02-12-2005 at 11:48 PM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
02-12-2005 11:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RAM (Random Access Memory)
  • RAM is like a small area of temorary storage. If you start a program, in my example i'll choose Microsoft Paint, it needs a certan amount of ram to run. Everything you draw or type in Microsoft Paint will be stored in the little RAM chips on your motherboard. Why? If, every time you changed something, it had to save it to your big clunky hard drive, that would take a LONG time. Instead, the `small changes' you make like typing a document or painting a picture, will be stored in RAM untill you save it to a file on your hard drive. After you turn off your computer, all the ram is deleted. If you close the program you were using, all the ram it took up is now free.

Think about it - All the stuff you do, all the stuff you type, draw, open... It has to be stored somewhere right? It can't just be saved into the very fabric of spacetime. All the windows open and everything on your screen right now and everything your doing at the moment has to be saved somewhere, so its saved in the superfast RAM chips inside your computer.

MOBO (Mother Board)
  • Your motherboard is actually a very simple peice of equipment. Its the largest silicon chip inside your computer. Every component is connected to it, and it connects everything to where it needs to go.

PROC (Processor)
  • Your processor is the heart of your computer. It handles EVERY SINGLE CALCULATION. Every key you press, every window you maximize or close, even when a program starts, THOUSANDS OF CALCULATIONS run through the processor. Your processor does alomost everything, then sends it to the place it needs to go. Theres no real other way to explain it. Your processor is the miracle of computing technology that revelotionized our world.

HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
  • A hard drive is like a compact disk inside your computer that can't be removed. It holds the files on your computer so you can open them. The data on hard drives lasts forever and can be activly created or deleted by the person using the computer. Your harddrive contains Windows or Macintosh or whatever your computer runs, as well as all the programs and documents and files on your computer. Anything in your desktop or start menu is stored on your harddrive.

That's all I can think to explain for now, if you need any more definitions just post:)

This post was edited on 02-13-2005 at 12:44 AM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-13-2005 12:40 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
Blah, you turn on your computer, windows starts up, you get the boot screen, it's loading all the necessary files and settings for windows to operate from the harddisc to the RAM. Finishes loading. You get in, you run some programs, the RAM fills up with those progs. You close them the ram gets emptied a little. You run more, the RAM is filled quite alot, your harddisc then takes some of your programs bits and pieces and stores them temporarely. You close those programs. You harddisc deletes the temporary files. Your RAM gets cleared a little. You then shutdown your computer. Your settings that were loaded are saved to the harddisc for use next time. Then the computer takes away all the necassary files for windows to run back out of the RAM, it's empty, your computer goes off/you turn it off when prompted.
02-13-2005 02:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: