What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Internet Explorer 7 is coming!

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Internet Explorer 7 is coming!
Author: Message:
Bionic

38 / Male / –
O.P. Shocked  Internet Explorer 7 is coming!
quote:
Originally posted by Neowin
Yes, I said Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta will be here by this summer.

Thanks to an alert at the featured sites community website, we are at liberty to share news on the new version of IE, of which so far, will only be available for Windows XP SP2 customers. Speaking at the Keynote Address at RSA Conference, Gates confirmed it:
“We’re installing Windows XP SP2 companywide on over 50,000 desktops because we recognize that its security enhancements are significant. As the frequency of attacks against computer systems increases, it’s becoming critically important to have our systems protected against hackers, viruses and other security risks,” said Joseph Martella, director of End User Computing, Product Engineering at Merrill Lynch.

Building on those advancements, Gates announced Internet Explorer 7.0, designed to add new levels of security to Windows XP SP2 while maintaining the level of extensibility and compatibility that customers have come to expect. Internet Explorer 7.0 will also provide even stronger defenses against phishing, malicious software and spyware. The beta release is scheduled to be available this summer.
Gates also announced the Windows Update beta to start mid-march, and a final version of the Windows Anti-Spyware tool to be made available to all customers of licensed Windows at no charge.

View: IE Team Web Blog

The announcement in full (also available at the IE Team Web Blog)

Featured Community Site Owners,

Today at RSA, Bill Gates talked about Internet Explorer 7. As the guy responsible for IE, I wanted to say a couple of things about it.

First, some basics: we’re committing to deliver a new version of Internet Explorer for Windows XP customers. Betas of IE7 will be available this summer. This new release will build on the work we did in Windows XP SP2 and (among other things) go further to defend users from phishing as well as deceptive or malicious software.

Why? Because we listened to a lot of customers, analysts, and business partners. We heard a clear message: “Yes, SP2 makes the situation better. We want more, sooner. We want security on top of the compatibility and extensibility IE gives us, and we want it on XP. Microsoft, show us your commitment.”

I think of today’s announcement as a clear statement back to our customers: “Hey, Microsoft heard you. We’re committing.”

Why are we talking about it today? Because our customers have asked us, with increasing urgency, what our plans are. We want to convey our intentions to our customers clearly and in a timely way.

I’ve gotten questions about the ship date. We know that feedback from customers and partners is crucial. We’re going to release a beta and listen, then refresh the beta and listen some more. We’ll ship when the product is right.

I’ve gotten other questions about support for Windows 2000. Right now, we’re actively listening to our major Windows 2000 customers about what they want and comparing that to the engineering complexity of that work. That’s all I can say on that topic.

Please know that the IE team is working hard. We’re eager to improve and better secure the web experience for the hundreds of millions of IE users around the world. We delivered on XP SP2. We are actively delivering on our part of a great 64-bit Windows client. We continue to deliver on security updates for customers who have not moved to XP SP2. We’re going to deliver on IE7.

Dean Hachamovitch

General Manager, IE Core Development Team
02-15-2005 06:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Internet Explorer 7 is coming!
It seems from that report that Microsoft have gone out of adding features like tabbed browsing and some of the tweaks of browsers like FireFox and focused purely on security and businesses, instead of trying to do both. IE has needed a little revamp for a while now, however this is an early estimate, I'd expect a finished version by sometime in 2006.
I really hope the IE plans of Microsoft haven't just given up on personal user's wants and gone purely for the business uses...
I know I will be sticking by FireFox until Microsoft gives something better though.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-15-2005 06:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rix

34 / Male / Flag
Yeah, tabs are no. 1 that I'm missing in IE, and also they could fix favicon problems. But let's hope the best ;)
Show Plus! your commitment - Support Plus!
:: Plus!'s Estonian community - http://foorum.msgpluslive.ee/ ::
02-15-2005 06:52 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

YES! More "You are in danger! Do not click anything! Leave this site immediately!" pop-ups :D Like people will listen to that when they've seen it for more than 3 times :rolleyes:

edit: transparent PNGs anyone? XHTML & CSS compliance? Probably not :cry:

This post was edited on 02-15-2005 at 06:53 PM by user2319.
02-15-2005 06:52 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
ah yes i watched that live at 5(GMT) it was very good. it is nice to know that IE7 is coming!
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
02-15-2005 09:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
one tip for Microsoft... make IE work better with the standards of CSS :-/. I'm sick of adjusting the code for 2 browsers :s.
02-15-2005 09:57 PM
Yogarine

41 / Male / –
Just some of the things that Internet Explorer needs to get on par with FireFox:

- Tabbed Browsing
- Proper XHTML/CSS support
- Favicon/PNG bugs fixed
- Good extensebility like FireFox. (So that they can also create a AdBlock extension for it! :D
- RSS Support
- Theme support

But as MicroSoft just keeps crying about security fixes, Phishing protection etc (what you don't even need to worry about if you install FireFox) I think that none or only a few of those features will actually make it to IE7.

Don't count on Tabbed Browsing for IE7 ;) And if they DO include it, then expect it to also be integrated into Windows Explorer... :P Yup, a tabbed file manager! Just like the Gnome/KDE under linux. It just makes you wonder why it takes an open source project to invent such good stuff and that the MS team never thought of it...

This post was edited on 02-15-2005 at 10:01 PM by Yogarine.
02-15-2005 09:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Yogarine
Don't count on Tabbed Browsing for IE7  And if they DO include it, then expect it to also be integrated into Windows Explorer...  Yup, a tabbed file manager! Just like the Gnome/KDE under linux. It just makes you wonder why it takes an open source project to invent such good stuff and that the MS team never thought of it...
why would it also be integrated in Windows Explorer? That are 2 different teams for 2 different products.
02-15-2005 10:16 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Woow
* Jhrono is so excited..
or not:D...
I think IE will never get through FF:D
02-15-2005 10:18 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I was about to create a thread, I've got the interview open in another tab to latest posts, came here and was like damn...

They're just trying to keep up, the chances that they are are near to none.
02-15-2005 10:20 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: