What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows?
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows?
quote:
Originally posted by Striker
there is no way to "tweak" a normal windows to operate in a 64 bit manner unless you have win xp 64bit. Its not about sending more processes to the "cpu". 64bit to my knownledge still only has one ALU, which means its can only handle one process at a time. Normal xp only sends out 32 bits of information at a time (hense why its a 32 bit os). you can't tweak it to send out 64 bits of information cause the os just wont know whats happening. So basicly you have to get xp 64bit for it to have any effect on speed and what not. Although 32bit xp will still function, you wont see much of a speed difference.

I am running standard XP and I do notice a speed difference. My 3500+ out-performs my friend's P4 3.7 Ghz.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
02-16-2005 02:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows?
I don't know whether of not it would be of any benefit running a Linux Kernel in the background and then loading windows XP through VMware or something.  Perhaps this could give more processing potential although I'm not entirely sure how 64 bit chips work
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
02-16-2005 02:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Striker

40 / Male / –
athlons typically run faster than p4's cause of how their cache is set up. like for example. an amd 1 ghz is probably equal to a 1.4 p4.. but thats just throwing out an example, i have nothing ot actually back that up on

also .. xp 32 bit can not send 64 bits through the system bus.. its impossible. its not desgined to work as a 64 bit OS

This post was edited on 02-16-2005 at 04:07 AM by Striker.
02-16-2005 04:02 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:
there is no way to "tweak" a normal windows to operate in a 64 bit manner unless you have win xp 64bit. Its not about sending more processes to the "cpu". 64bit to my knownledge still only has one ALU, which means its can only handle one process at a time. Normal xp only sends out 32 bits of information at a time (hense why its a 32 bit os). you can't tweak it to send out 64 bits of information cause the os just wont know whats happening. So basicly you have to get xp 64bit for it to have any effect on speed and what not. Although 32bit xp will still function, you wont see much of a speed difference.

I am running standard XP and I do notice a speed difference. My 3500+ out-performs my friend's P4 3.7 Ghz.

wasn't it 3.8ghz last time :P
02-16-2005 10:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by blade
My 3500+ out-performs my friend's P4 3.7 Ghz.
That is not a comparison!! they are two totally different processors which both have different rating scales (even when you compare them in mhz). For you to be able to make a comparison and say the 64bit is faster then you would also need a plain Athlon 3500+.
quote:
athlons typically run faster than p4's cause of how their cache is set up. like for example. an amd 1 ghz is probably equal to a 1.4 p4.. but thats just throwing out an example, i have nothing ot actually back that up on

It's not exactly based on their caches but its partially right. It is a whole different rating scale. I made a bit of a post about it a while ago but can't find it right now. I explained the way the rating system works and everything..
02-16-2005 11:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Any way to unlock the ability of a 64-bit processor in regular windows?
quote:
Originally posted by toddy

wasn't it 3.8ghz last time :P

It's a 3.72 Ghz over-clocked to 3.8
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
02-16-2005 03:54 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend