What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft Forces SP2 download

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Microsoft Forces SP2 download
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: Microsoft Forces SP2 download
Do you want old viruses to continue spreading because people are too stupid to update their virus definitions or their copy of Windows?

This is Microsoft's only way of ensuring people are running the latest patches and everything to try and stop virral activity. I look at statistics of traffic flow and there is still a lot of problems because people are too stupid to keep their system up to date.

If you developed software that was used by millions and millions, how would you try to get every customer to update? They've tried the option of allowing users to choose when they want to upgrade but a lot of users ignore it. This is the only way they can get everything up to date.
02-23-2005 04:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Wow Microsoft is being pretty gay. I'm going to try and block this as well as I can, since I will never use SP2. I think it's an invasion of privacy and lack of respect for there customers. Those bastards!

totally agree with u Djex :).. i will never download or use SP2, its a pile of Dung,

IE7 should have been in SP2 , now Microsoft are getting behind in Numbers an updates, we'll soon have Netscape 8 soon, an is or i dunno if Opera 8 is out now?.. Avant Browser 10 will be out or is out finally, , that i dunno though,  IMO, i think Netscape8 will be the big Windows Winner here, 2 Engines in the 1 browser, , , IE needs to be W3C compliant, its not now, an i dunno if it will ever be, 

This post was edited on 02-23-2005 at 05:24 AM by Hank.
02-23-2005 05:15 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Thank you for letting me know, I will never restart my computer after April 12th :)

Well, I will be using GoBack everyday untill someone finds a way to bypass it... :P
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
02-23-2005 05:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pipish

not really active anymore.

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Do you want old viruses to continue spreading because people are too stupid to update their virus definitions or their copy of Windows?

This is Microsoft's only way of ensuring people are running the latest patches and everything to try and stop virral activity. I look at statistics of traffic flow and there is still a lot of problems because people are too stupid to keep their system up to date.

If you developed software that was used by millions and millions, how would you try to get every customer to update? They've tried the option of allowing users to choose when they want to upgrade but a lot of users ignore it. This is the only way they can get everything up to date.

i totaly agree with surfi

its not that hard to download either and i think its better and more secure
[Image: fcliverpoolfan2xo.gif]
[Image: roosters4yg.jpg]
02-23-2005 05:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I agree with the security and the importance of having the lastest security updates. But SP2 has only gotten me problems, and I had to remove it.

I do not like to be forced to use something that brings me problems. And even if it was perfect, I don't like the fact that I'll be forced to use it.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

02-23-2005 05:23 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
But Chris. by forcing  software on Users, there just gonna get into trouble by the US Federal courts again, Microsoft never learn,

This post was edited on 02-23-2005 at 05:26 AM by Hank.
02-23-2005 05:25 AM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
They're not forcing software, they're forcing an update. With that logic you could get on basically any company out there, as most have required some type of update.
02-23-2005 05:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
Linux doesnt make u update just because of a Bug. like for example a new Kernel , your not required to download it just because of Bugs, unless you need the support for more hardware or anything else,
02-23-2005 05:50 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Thank you for letting me know, I will never restart my computer after April 12th :)

Well, I will be using GoBack everyday untill someone finds a way to bypass it... :P
:rolleyes:

According to many of the comments on Neowin and this site, it's only "forced" if you use Windows Update or enable Automatic Updates. If you avoid those things, you can continue living with your old version and quit complaining. :p I doubt there's any other way for Microsoft to force an update unless it's via their update service. They can't connect to your PC whenever they want and tell it to install SP2. :p

For the people who have a problem with the large download size, read this comment...
quote:
Autoupdate will quite happily download any updates bit by bit (no pun intended, honest) as and when it gets a chance. So it might get to download a couple MBs one day when you're on for a long time, and only a couple KBs the next as you do nothing more than check your email. Using BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer System) it'll try to only download when your connection is idle, so you shouldn't notice any slowdown in your connection speed either.
You could also order the free CD.
02-23-2005 06:00 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i'd use the CD as a drink Coaster :P
02-23-2005 06:03 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »