What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft Forces SP2 download

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Microsoft Forces SP2 download
Author: Message:
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Microsoft Forces SP2 download
I tried the download and the cd, both f*ck*d my pc, not gonna install it...
[Image: 1-0.png]

02-23-2005 05:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
yeah it seems a good idea to me. you dont have to use it if you dont want to as long as you dont want to use windows update...
microsoft obvioulsy dont want to be supporting loads of different versions of xp. seems sensible to me.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
02-23-2005 09:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
Disc ordered :pound:

* madman66 forgets about it and gets a suprise in 28ish days

Although i doubt itll get to england in 28 days

it doesnt take long to send, and it is shipped from Germany i think

DAMN MY DODGY I KEY :dodgy:
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
02-23-2005 09:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

Yeah, I've ordered mine, I may aswell install it now anyway, I'm thinking of re-formatting to windows xp pro aswell :-/...
02-23-2005 09:35 PM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Microsoft Forces SP2 download
LMAO what a thread this has turned into....

I go to sleep, go to school and come home to this. I have to say good job you've made my day (Y)

quote:
Originaly Posted by: Scone
Really guys, ive had no problems with SP2.. Ive found that the people who complain about it just plain dont know what thier doing..
:lol: WTF? Ok so you’re basically saying you know what you’re doing? Humm yea and let me guess I don't? and the others that agree with me don't too. Pshh yea right...

And WDZ nice work of quoting my text form my other posts (Y) You make me laugh.
Oh also WDZ my “microsoft is being preaty gay” thing, well looks like you’re the only one that don’t get it. :)

Well this is pretty cool, it brings out the noobs and it shows who really knows there stuff. I’m not saying WDZ is a noob or Scone is a noob I’m saying that everyone has there own opions so who cares if someone don't know as much as someone else. Where all equal or we should be all treated that way at least. I read alot of replies that got on my nerves but then I thought who cares? It's there opion and theres only.

Well I still do think that Microsoft shouldn’t force it on us and that we should have a choice and I do still think SP2 is crap. I've been using my XP with out SP2 since it came out and I haven’t had a trojan get in on me once. Some day it may be necessary to have, since the internet is getting worse every day. But right now it's not a necessity that you must have.

quote:
Origninaly Posted by: Mike2
Thank you for letting me know, I will never restart my computer after April 12th

Well, I will be using GoBack everyday untill someone finds a way to bypass it... 

:lol: well that's not necessary lol but if you would like to go for it :P

UPDATE

Check first post for update on article. Thanks.

This post was edited on 02-23-2005 at 09:56 PM by DJeX.
[Image: top.gif]
02-23-2005 09:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
The_Thief

The man with a thousand sites :D

48 / Male / –
It's only for businesses not for home users.  Home users just turn off your automatic updates and you won't get it.  the force is for business where there updates are turned on a server.
03-02-2005 07:41 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

quote:
Originally posted by serpico
It's only for businesses not for home users.  Home users just turn off your automatic updates and you won't get it.  the force is for business where there updates are turned on a server.

It's forced on anyone who uses Windows Update. Including home users. If you don't get SP2, you can't use Windows Update. And that means no patches for future security holes.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
03-02-2005 10:03 PM
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
SP2 doesn't do much to mess up your computer. It patches stuff that'll help to keep your computer safe. You don't want your computer to be part of a spamming plot etc. Nor do you want to download activex controls without your knowledge. The pop-up blocker is quite good so you don't need all these tool bars (if you still use IE :P)
I do think you should have a choice whether or not to install it, but some people forget about stuff like this and get their computer hacked. If you don't like the built in firewall, you can always use a 3rd party one like norton personal firewall etc.
03-02-2005 10:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
indeed...

It is always when such news is posted that the old stories/rumours are spread again. SP2 is not the most buggy/crappy thing. First of all, the update will never be forced upon you, not with downloading and certainly not with installing, even if auto-update is on to check for updates! And even not in 2006 when Microsoft stops supporting SP1. You can always ignore any update, and even turn off the auto-update completely.

What will happen is that support will not be given anymore when you don't upgrade. Just like support §updates) isn't given anymore for Win95. This means nothing more then that you'll not be able to get other updates as long as you don't install SP2.

Furthermore, SP2 is one of the major updates of Windows XP. Of course this has been tested long and detailed before it was released to the public (more then other updates).

On a normal healthy system, there shouldn't be any problem with SP2. The problems that can occur are not because SP2 is crap, but because the other 3rd party programs already installed on your PC aren't updated properly (yet).

SP2 contains lots of fixes and updates on internal stuff of XP. This means that programs which use these things need to be updated also!!! This does NOT mean that SP2 is crap or buggy!!! Compare it with running a program on Windows95 and after updating to WindowsNT, of course there might by a problem with a program, that doesn't mean NT is shit (not so good example, but you know what I mean, I hope).

Some problems could only surface now, after installing SP2, but this does NOT mean it is SP2 that is buggy. Those problems existing already on the system without you knowing about it. And this goes for almost all the "problems" reported about SP2... (eg: one common problem is with special drivers. But the drivers provided with the hardware are often obsolete and not yet compatible with Service Pack 2. Update them instead of bashing SP2.)

In short, the problem is not with SP2, but with not-updated programs. And as a sidenote, there are very little programs which give problems. Of course, people love it to bash MS, so in no time the word gets spread that SP2 is crap. Well, newsflash, it isn't....

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
My school says that I shouldn't download SP2, and I say that I won't because I don't want to waste my time downloading something that is going to get bypasses in about 6 weeks anyways.
Your school need to get its facts strait... So you're more happy to use a buggy system with many known security leaks instead of updating your system so all known leaks are fixed (even if it is for "6 weeks")????? tbh, that doesn't make any sense...

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Not trying to be rude Caboose, but I just think SP2 is riddled with problems. But I do agree with you that It's good for Microsoft to start fixing there problems instead of covering them up but what makes me mad is now there is no choice in whether you want this or not.
Fixing things is NOT covering up problems. Also, as explained (and most logically) there IS a choice whether you want it or not...

quote:
quote:
Originaly posted by:Caboose
I use SP2 and there's nothing wrong with it. It's a worthwhile upgrade.
Ahh yea right.... Ermm can someone find my post awhile back, remember that one where I explained why it sucked so much. I'm not good at finding stuff on this forum can anyone help me out here.......  :dodgy:
"DJeX's reply to Windows firewall [sp2]"

I didn't posted to your posts before about this, but now I will as the subject is again shifted to is SP2 crap or not:
quote:
It's either slows your computer until it crashes, and or slows your internet
Configure it properly!!! I'm constantly in wonder how it is that many people don't even know that everything should be configured. This goes for simply programs but also for big system(update)s.

As you (hopefully) know, SP2 enables Data Execution Prevention by default. This is one of it's ways to ensure that n00bs (sorry for the bad word) will be protected to themselfs. This can indeed slow down your computer a bit and to disable this, again you need to configure it like anything else in the computer-world.

Wether or not Microsoft should have left this option like it was or enable it by default is another question, but they did it, like I said, to protect n00bs to themselfs. The other people should already know about this option and if not should be able to figure it out easly by exploring the new options. In the end, looking at and exploring the new options is something any decent computer user should do before using a piece of software.

If this was the only thing that people say about SP2, then maybe I'd agree with them and jump on the "let's say something bad about SP2"-wagon. But with all the other crap that's said about SP2, I'm very reluctant to "share" the bad words...

quote:
or in some cases it will disable or cause problems with your anti virus that has already been installed and was working fine before.
See my comments in the first part of my post. Some programs can indeed have problems with SP2, but it is how it is: those programs have problems with SP2, not the other way around!! Update those programs properly (eg: the Norton/Symantec tools)...

quote:
You don’t need SP2 to run the Windows firewall any way, the firewall comes with Windows XP. All’s you need to do is enable it. With SP2 it just gives you a nice little program to work it from.
NOT true. The firewall HAS been updated also! It is not just some configuration-wizard hat has been added.

quote:
In my option SP2 is junk. The only way you may get it to work good is on new installations of Windows XP, that’s it! If SP2 is installed on a Windows that’s about a year old forget it, it will screw something up.
On a decent normal system it will work good also. And I emphasises: HEALTHY systems. If your system is crap (configured bad) to start with, of course it's going to give problems in the long run... But that isn't SP2's fault, that's your own fault...

Of course I realize that when something bad CAN be said by Microsoft products that people are very stuborn and will rather believe those false rumours and make their own false conclussions instead of being logical and looking/investigating things for themselfs. Know about what you're talking about, and if not, don't believe anything bad strait away. Talking bad about such things is a international sport...

SP2 is NOT crap and should be installed by everyone who like to have bugs and leakes fixed.

Know what you're installing and explore the (new) options before jumping to conclussions (eg: the slow-down problem, saying that SP2 will be forced upon you, saying that IE should be fixed first while SP2 is half about fixing IE in the first place, the "6 weeks" example while SP2 is already out for half a year, etc... etc...)

This post was edited on 03-03-2005 at 11:36 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-03-2005 11:15 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
it doesnt take long to send, and it is shipped from Germany i think
Germany is correct.
* John Anderton confirms by looking at the order slip.
As Dz said in Sb thats one huge cookie post :|
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-03-2005 03:52 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version