What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Installing msgplus...

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Installing msgplus...
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Installing msgplus...
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
I contacted Microsoft support but they are the slowest ppl I have ever met.
Never contact Microsoft for a problem with a 3rd party software. (You don't go to the supermarket if you have a problem with your car either :p)

This post was edited on 03-06-2005 at 02:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-06-2005 02:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Installing msgplus...
its just installing it.....it wont even run the installer.....thought it might be a windows problem...besides they havent conatacted me yet...
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
03-06-2005 04:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Craven

RE: Installing msgplus...
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
Like alot of ppl I am testing the public beta of msn messenger. But my computer went crazy and I had to reformat. When I reinstalled my windows I went to download Messenger Plus! again but guess what! As soon as it was on my computer nothing happened. I double clicked it and the installer didnt load. Instead I heard an error noise with NO error message. I contacted Microsoft support but they are the slowest ppl I have ever met. I guessed that it would be 100% more worthwhile to come here and ask how to get it to work.

[COMPUTER INFO]

Windows XP Pro/Updated with the windows updates
[/COMPUTER INFO]

Please help me someone I NEED Plus! to live!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

After messing around with a variety of different versions of MSN Messenger (Public 6.2, Public Beta 7 - 425, Private Beta 632) I too came across this problem.

Are you SURE you are using the current PUBLIC beta of MSN 7 from http://messenger.msn.com/beta ? (Version 7.0.0425 - See Help->About MSN Messenger) and not 7.0.0632?

From testing, it seems the MsgPlus installer will only run on 6.x and the Public MSN Betas. Using it on other versions yields the results you described.

The cause of the problem, it seems, is that MsgPlus isn't detecting that MSN is installed when 7.0.0632/Private Beta is used. The problem however, is that no error message seems to be displayed.

BUT:

Right click the MsgPlus install file, hit Properties, select Compatability, Tick the "Run this program in compatability mode for:" box and select Windows 98/ME from the drop down box. Hit ok, and re-run the installer. Your error message should magically appear! (at least it did for me).

However, in your first post you stated that you are indeed using the Public Beta. If this is the case (check your version) then you shouldn't be having this problem. In which case, I suggest you uninstall everything, install Messenger 6.2, install MsgPlus 3.4 for MSN Beta 7, then install the public beta of MSN 7. (Interestingly enough, this is also a way to bypass the installation problem of MsgPlus on the Private Betas - Install 6.2, then MsgPlus 3.4, then 632/Private Beta 7 and MsgPlus will load with the beta. However, this only lasts until the user logs off or reboots, after which MsgPlus will not load with the Private Beta, and the installer will not run).

Hope that helps.
03-06-2005 09:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Installing msgplus...
got ya...works...Ill reinstal msn and itll work..thanks:P
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
03-06-2005 11:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: