What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi
Author: Message:
slipstream3d

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi
I second www.doom9.org and Gordian Knot. Once you figure it out it works wonders. Apparently there is now an AutoGK (automated gordian knot) package also available, although I haven't tried it. If it works well, that's the way to go for sure.

If you're interested in making backup copies of DVDs, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (both free) work very well. (of course, you'll have to have a DVD writer ;))

PS making VOB files into another format isn't illegal unless whatever it is is copyrighted. And even if it is copyrighted, you're allowed to make a backup copy of your own stuff.
03-07-2005 04:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
The_Thief

The man with a thousand sites :D

48 / Male / –
It's still Illegal but if you wanted to burn the DVD to your PC using DVD Shrink then convert it to mpeg or avi using DVD Decrypter I think
03-07-2005 03:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
slipstream3d

I repeat, it is NOT ILLEGAL to encode VOB files to another format. This is all a VOB file is:

"A VOB (Video OBject) contains several streams multiplexed together: Video, Audio and Subtitles. Video is MPEG-2, audio can be AC-3, Linear PCM, Mpeg 2 multichannel or MPEG1 layer2 2 channel audio." (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=VOB). I can make VOB files of my own stuff and burn them to a DVD, being a VOB file on a DVD doesn't automatically make it illegal to copy. It could easily be my home videos or whatever the heck I want it to.

As for copying commerical DVDs, this is STILL NOT ILLEGAL UNDER NORTH AMERICAN COPYRIGHT LAW (USA and Canada). You ARE allowed ONE COPY of anything copyrighted you own, for backup purposes. This includes decrypting a DVD to your hard drive, making an AVI file of it, and burning it to a CD.

I cannot find the Canadian legislation, but here is the American:

" ...United States Copyright Law of 1976, as amended..."
"Copyrighted software may be copied without the copyright owner's permission only in accordance with the Copyright Act. Section 117 of the Act permits making an archival back-up copy."

DVD movies are considered "software" for the DVD player, software being defined by Dictionary.com as "The instructions executed by a computer, as opposed to the physical device on which they run".

In no way is making a single backup copy of a DVD (or anything else copyrighted you own that runs in an electronic device) illegal.

Oh, and you've got the software mixed up. You rip a DVD to the computer with DVD Decrypter, then use DVD Shrink to reencode a smaller DVD file (does not create .avi or .mpg) and then burn the file to a blank disc. Gordian Knot, on the other hand, will create .avi output files (using the DivX codec).
03-08-2005 01:33 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Actually, you can just put the disk in, open DVD Shrink, click backup, and it does it all automaticily:)
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-08-2005 03:13 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Fredzz

36 / Male / –
[Image: google.gif] You could find that in google. it would take 5seconds with the right keywords :dodgy:

Google is your friend!
Fredzz rox00rz
03-10-2005 12:45 AM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi
If you were to read my first post, you would find that I already said I searched Google but to no avail.

Please read at least a bit of the thread before posting :)
03-10-2005 02:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
max dvd to mpeg converter is quite gd....

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
03-10-2005 07:32 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: