What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » patchou.com - new version - help!

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
How do you sincerly rate Messenger Plus! 2.00 robustness?
This poll is closed.
solid as a rock! 120 52.86%
rarely causes any interference with Messenger 65 28.63%
already crashed Messenger a few times 34 14.98%
crashes Messenger too much to use it on a day-by-day basis 8 3.52%
Total: 227 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

1 votes - 5 average   patchou.com - new version - help!
Author: Message:
Dogga

RE: patchou.com - new version - help!
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Hello everyone,

However, when the connection cannot be done, the software tried again after 5 minutes, again and again... since the release of the first beta, I estimate about 200,000 people downloaded the new version which is fantastic but which also causes a big problem... patchou.com being down, about 40,000 people every minute try to connect to check for an update, which means that I can't put the server back online with any host...

*snip*

Well, as soon as you get a server back online, then hypothetically the 40,000 hits/minute would only be a problem for the first 5 minutes, right?  As long as you forewarn the host that there will be massive activity for 5 or so minutes, then I don't see where there would be a problem.

Or maybe I'm reading this all wrong... :)

Dogga

** I'll learn to read the whole thread before posting in the future :P  O I like the idea of a DNS "round robin" setup.

However, I have another kind of idea.  You could eliminate the entire need for auto-updates by doing something like an opt-in program that would e-mail users of updated releases.  The user could be prompted upon setup (in a future version, of course ;) ) of the automatic e-mail reminder program, and if they chose to opt-in, they'd provide their e-mail address which would be encrypted and sent to the main database.  Then, when an update is released, a simple script could e-mail any opted-in user, notifying them of an update, as well as a link to where they could download it.  This would then limit any massive server traffic to the time of the initial release of each version (the traffic would consist of massive downloading of the new version, and the hits made to the website by any new user that decides to change their opt-in/out status of the reminder program).

Whatya think?  :D

Dogga

This post was edited on 01-31-2003 at 09:02 AM by Dogga.
01-31-2003 08:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
So.... Auto-Update stays living for now? Is that right?

Wheeeeeee :)
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-31-2003 03:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ironlink

Isn't there a switch in the registry or something to turn off the auto-update? I think that would lighten the pressure, since some/many of us who read the forums can then turn it off for the first day or so...
In case of emergency, I could host your site. The thing is, I don't have any experience in hosting, except FTP, at all. I would need to set up a server program and some help with configuring it. I'm on a 10Mbit connection and run a P4 2.0GHz computer with 512MB DDR RAM.

***edit = spelling

This post was edited on 01-31-2003 at 04:24 PM by ironlink.
01-31-2003 04:17 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: patchou.com - new version - help!
Yes, auto-update stays alive in the software :). As lon as I'll be able to find good servers to handle it it will work fine and in no case, it will bother my main patchou.com server anymore. New release: this WE! :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
01-31-2003 04:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
hmm it does seem strange.  he's probably a personal friend of Patchou's.  He may well be a much better admin than someone with 500 posts.

I don't think there's a real need for the retry feature - so what if less dedicated Plus fans have to wait another week?  I'm sure there must be a multiple server solution.  How about users automatically get assigned a random server address so that each one gets a small share of users and we don't have to specifically configure the servers to any round-robin situation etc.

Well that's my idea
01-31-2003 06:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Extcee

Sorry. i cant Help. Gr8 wuRk.
Nice Job.
Hope you had a good holiday.
First time poster, Long time reader,
extcee
02-01-2003 12:26 AM
AgainstHate

47 / Male / –
...why not
Why not release an update of MsgPlus that contains "some-smarter-auto-update-feature" so that those numerous sites that provide mirrors of the MsgPlus program can spread it.
I guess that this new release could spread rather fast so that the traffic to the update site could decrease significantly...

Just my 2 cents...

Ps. my contribution to the rise and future IM-domination of MsgPlus is to run only version 1.42b
- until "some-smarter-auto-update-feature" will be available :)
(...and convince my friends to do the same).
02-02-2003 01:16 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: patchou.com - new version - help!
That's what going to be done this WE :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-02-2003 02:13 AM
user2319
Disabled Account

I need that patch...... I dont want to let Patchou's server to be down.... Patchou, hurry up Making a patch that "kills" the auto-update until you have your solution (or others solutions) worked out...
02-02-2003 06:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Freeze

37 / Male / –
About the auto-update function: LOCALIZE!

Make the user choose from setup where he lives [for instance the UK] and then make it look for auto-updates on a random UK server...

I can hear you say: 'then wat about servers that are down or not working?'

Simple: Make the program look for the nearest server and make it connect there...

No need to remove the auto-update :)

This post was edited on 02-02-2003 at 06:42 PM by Freeze.
02-02-2003 06:40 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: