What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » AIM support...

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
AIM support...
Author: Message:
noxs

O.P. Grin  AIM support...
Hello,

I dont know if this is the right forum to ask, but since I know Patchou and the whole team of MSGPlus is just very good I was hoping somebody could answer this.

Since I love MSN Messenger but a lot of people use AIM Messenger aswell, I was wondering if it wouldnt be possible to do a plugin to add support for AIM within MSN Messenger/Messenger Plus.

If this is possible Im actually also even willing to pay for it if necessary. I think many people are looking for this and I hope someone can please reply.

Thank you!
(Y)
03-13-2005 01:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: AIM support...
That would be a really huuuuge work, I don't think anyone will do it.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
03-13-2005 02:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Hav you ever heard of Trillian or IM2?

These are Multi-Client Messengers

They can connect to AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN and IRC

Trillian offer a Pro (pay for software) and Basic version (free software)

Whereas IM2 is free

I find IM2 to be the better client however the latest official release (1.5 at time of writing {1.5.9b public released beta build also} )
has some bugs with it I suggest waiting a short time untill 1.6 is released and their skin section is online.
If you like the Skin MSN Messenger has, they used to have a MSN style skin for it.

You can still download 1.4 and download the MSN-Style skin.

But as Lopardo stated, i am sure this would be an almost impossible task for MSN Messenger to handle.

for one thing you would have to re-code the display picture to a different size because AIM buddy icons are not 96 x 96

This would be a collosal task, the closet thing available other than the multi-client messengers is the MS Outlook addon that AOL released the other week allowing you to send AIM messages to contacts in your list associated with an AIM address.
03-13-2005 10:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i dont think any1 would do it.. its basically Microsoft Opening up there Servers for every1 to use i think there was talk ages ago of AIM an MSN  being able to use the same servers or soemthing,, i think i bought the thread up last year sometime.
03-13-2005 10:57 AM
UnduTheGun

37 / Male / Flag
Wasn't microsoft going to soport AIM for the "Instambul" thingy? =/
03-13-2005 11:16 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
there was talk of it, but thats all it was.. nothing really was put on the table to have this actual done,
03-13-2005 11:20 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by UnduTheGun
Wasn't microsoft going to soport AIM
A while back Microsoft was having talks with AOL, to talk about making their two IM services compatable with each other. It wouldn't be easy to make a client that can constantly add new features and still support both services. There was much talk of "When the two IM giants talk". I haven't heard much about their talks recently, but I'm sure something will come in the long-term.
As Fukafly said your only current option is a Multi Client Messenger.
A plugin can not do this because plugins (or even Plus for that matter) does not change the way that MSN Messenger connects to the server. Plus (in the new 3.50 version) can connect itself to another server, but it can not make MSN Messenger connect to another server, let alone a whole new IM service.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-13-2005 11:57 AM
noxs

O.P. RE: AIM support...
Fukafly:: Ofcourse I heard of Trillian and IM2 and I use Trillian 3.1 at the moment, but it would be a lot easier of there was a plugin (like in trillian and IM2) that just adds AIM support.

If trillian can do it, why cant we do it? as a plugin for MSGPlus
03-13-2005 12:23 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by noxs
If trillian can do it, why cant we do it? as a plugin for MSGPlus
Trillian is a seporate client, it can connect to whatever it wants to. Messenger Plus doesn't alter the way that MSN Messenger connects to places, if it did, this would be acomplishable. So if Messenger Plus can't do it, a plugin can't.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-13-2005 12:28 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
I don't want to code an AIM Client but I found an open source client that has support for AIM. Now I emailed the person to ask if they would mind me porting their code onto a Messenger Plus! Plugin. If all goes well with that then I will port it over once I am done with my File Organizer Plugin.
03-13-2005 09:22 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: