What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by blade
If they were to take 1 extra year they could make a game with hundreds of levels.
I doubt anyone will ever do this, I mean most games are just the right amount of length...when games seem to go on for ever and ever they become boring and tedious, unless they add a new edge to the game play and story every so often. As I said before, they're probably using the extra space for breathing room and to impress people that they are using some new cutting edge technology and even so rumours are going around (that have spread from people who understand all this to those who don't) that Sony games are a lot bigger and therefore better than any rival company, the kind of "bling" philosophy.

I'm talking more about MMOG MMORPG and Online multiplayer games.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
03-13-2005 05:38 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console
Still, it would take them even longer to build the engine to fill such a capacity and make it live up to the standards of what the machine is worth would it not?

So games would take even longer to manufacture still.

Better Engines = Longer
More Levels = Even Longer.
03-13-2005 05:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Still, it would take them even longer to build the engine to fill such a capacity and make it live up to the standards of what the machine is worth would it not?

So games would take even longer to manufacture still.

Better Engines = Longer
More Levels = Even Longer.

No - a good engine takes around a year to two years to make. It doesn't matter what the size of the disk is.
03-13-2005 05:42 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

But surely, the engines will be even better than the ones that are already made, you're basing your statistics on the engines that are being made in 2004-2005, I'm talking about engines in the future, better engines, great engines, the engines today are good, but still, the engines in the future will be great, completely and utterly amazing imo.
03-13-2005 05:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
Dont u think the console games that we play now are good enough?? I still dont understand who will waste 4 years of their life just to make a game with 40 gb and then when they finish that the next best Console will come out.. Anyway when are these due? I mean the consoles
03-13-2005 05:46 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
But surely, the engines will be even better than the ones that are already made, you're basing your statistics on the engines that are being made in 2004-2005, I'm talking about engines in the future, better engines, great engines, the engines today are good, but still, the engines in the future will be great, completely and utterly amazing imo.

Yes, but will take just as long as today's.

And IMHO, the Source engine is as good as it'll get for several years, but someone needs to utalize it for a game with more destructability.

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Dont u think the console games that we play now are good enough?? I still dont understand who will waste 4 years of their life just to make a game with 40 gb and then when they finish that the next best Console will come out.. Anyway when are these due? I mean the consoles

Consoles last ~5-6 years, and the next gen ones are due out in 2006 some time.

This post was edited on 03-13-2005 at 05:48 PM by .blade//.
03-13-2005 05:47 PM
Macabre Wolf

34 / Male / –
I'll be going with the PS3, look at Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. This has a new type of texturing, geotexturing, this allows walls and floors and any other thing to be 3D rather than the 2D walls we're all used to seeing in video games, I find it rather annoying that these days walls are still 2D. With the process of geotexturing takes not much longer, as far as I know, than the old 2D way.
Anyway as other People have said, 12 years ago the average HDD wasn't even 8.8GB, but now games like GTA: SA take up all that room, GTA: SA only took two years to make, the same as any other decent game,  whether it was 12 years ago or now. Texturing methods get better and faster, the ways of making the images get better and faster. Computers get better and faster.
It's a rapidly changing world, the way games are made changes, but the time it takes to make a good game hasn't changed all that much. So by the time the PS3 comes out there will have been many more advances in graphic producing, I'm sure, making it faster to make things than before. See my point?

This post was edited on 03-13-2005 at 09:52 PM by Macabre Wolf.
[Image: MacabreWolf.png]
03-13-2005 09:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Macabre Wolf
12 years ago the average HDD wasn't even 8.8GB

r u kiddin me?:S:S

I had (and have) a siemens nixford 133 Mhz from about 1995 or 94 and i think it had about 100 mb originally..
03-13-2005 09:56 PM
Macabre Wolf

34 / Male / –
RE: RE: Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console
quote:
Originally posted by johny
quote:
Originally posted by Macabre Wolf
12 years ago the average HDD wasn't even 8.8GB

r u kiddin me?:S:S

I had (and have) a siemens nixford 133 Mhz from about 1995 or 94 and i think it had about 100 mb originally..

Ok 8 years ago, happy?:P
[Image: MacabreWolf.png]
03-13-2005 10:01 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Nah!...5 years ago phearps...
03-13-2005 10:02 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »