What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console
Author: Message:
Macabre Wolf

34 / Male / –
RE: Microsoft to stick with DVD for next gen console
quote:
Originally posted by johny
Nah!...5 years ago phearps...
No I've got one from 7 years ago (using it just now, while my laptop is being fixed(the 'm' key came off and wouldn't go back on, really was begining to annoy me) has a HDD of 12.1GB, it's a middle range compie from that time.
[Image: MacabreWolf.png]
03-13-2005 10:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
:| :S :S i didnt have that knowledge sorry..
03-13-2005 10:25 PM
Riddlement

Ok i just joined up to reply to this topic, as im interested in it :D.

Ok as was said before the average life of a console is 5-6 years, and so, taking current programming and graphical programmes into account, microsoft will neither gain or lose from sticking with the DVD format.

Theres a few things to take into consideration here:

1) Sony pretty much HAVE to incorporate Blu ray disks, as they were involved in the developement of it. Not incorporating it could be seen as not supporting there own product.

2) Blu ray is a new techknology, and sony will have to use new technologies to run this new format, new technologies ALWAYS have glitches that are later realised.

3) Sony will be able to boast being able to handle disks that are 50gb in size to accomodate for the future, itll be used as a market ploy, and itll work.

4) Considering most games atm arent taking up the full space of a single layer DVD, microsoft wont be in any hurry to incorporate extra costs into this.

5) This will allow for programmers to design much more in depth games in the future, and more graphically stunning games. Also there is a new sound engine being designed by an irish company atm which wil take up more space.

6) Games from sony wont be any more stunning that that from microsoft or nintendo. They will have more space to put more detailed graphics on if they wish, but each company is still limited by current graphic cards and the processors in the machine.

7) Microsoft may lose money in the fact that there are programs out there now which copy x box games and wont take much tweaking to copy new console games, sony will have the fact that VERY VERY VERY few computers will have a blu ray burning device. This could also work against them though.

8) Sony needed to do something dramatic, when the playstation 2 came out, there was alot of backlash at them that it was just a hyped up ps1, nothing new. For those of you who dont know, sony was originally part of nintendo, and playstation was going to be a nintendo project, sony disbanded from nintendo and released the product on there own. This is why the controller is so much like the super nintendo, and still hasnt changed from a console out how many years previous ?

9) As for the 8 years ago comps didnt have 8.8gb hd, i have an 8 year old comp with 50gb hd

There was more i wanted to say but cant remember everything every1 else said so ill leave it at that.
03-13-2005 10:48 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: