What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN doesn't show me as Away when I'm inactive

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
MSN doesn't show me as Away when I'm inactive
Author: Message:
fakefox

O.P. MSN doesn't show me as Away when I'm inactive
I've always used to have the option "Show me as "Away" when I'm inactive for 5 minutes." switched on in MSN Messenger (last version). But now recently this ain't working, my status is Logged On all the time unless i change it myself. I'm not sure exactly when this happend so it's hard to tell what changes I've done that might have caused this.

I've tried abslolutely EVERYTHING I can think of!

I've tried:
- to change the number of minutes
- to uninstall MSN, remove all plugins (MSGPlus etc.), remove everything I could find related to MSN in the registry and then reinstall MSN
- other verions of MSN, both 7.0 beta and older verions
- Windows Messenger with the same result

I don't use any screensaver, and there's no other programs running in the background than the ones I used when everything worked properly. The only thing I can think of that could be of any importance is that I can't find the key for this setting in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger and ..\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings) so that I can check if the value is right.

There's not much to find about this on Google so I was hoping that there was someone out there that have experienced this problem.
03-14-2005 05:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN doesn't show me as Away when I'm inactive
Ok, you are aware if your mouse moves even a small ammount it won't work? I know it may seem simple, but before I suggest editing settings (and\or the registary) it would be best to illiminate that
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-14-2005 05:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
fakefox

O.P. RE: MSN doesn't show me as Away when I'm inactive
Yes, of course. I'm not touching the computer while testing it. Neither the keyboard nor the mouse.
03-14-2005 08:20 PM
Retibika

– / Male / –
Hi fakefox,

I have same problem like you. I don't know the result. Somebody please Help!

I've tried:
- to change the number of minutes
- to uninstall MSN, remove all plugins (MSGPlus etc.), remove everything I could find related to MSN in the registry and then reinstall MSN
- other verions of MSN, both 7.0 beta and older verions
- Windows Messenger with the same result

Please Help! I wait the ideas. THX.
03-21-2005 05:30 PM
befraid

Same problem here. MSN Messenger 7.0 didn't fix it either. Have you found any solution to it yet Fakefox?
04-09-2005 03:23 PM
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
Do you use a drawingtablet as mouse? Because a Wacom tablet can't handle radio interference, which you obviously have when using wireless lan. I have this problem too, even when i'm touching nothing, my mouse vibrates 1 pixel vertical or horizontal (this only happens sometimes, it depends how close my mouse is located to the edge of a pixel in the tablet, with some interference my mouse virtually moves across the edge to another pixel and then ofcourse it moves on my screen too, and back... complicated digital stuff:S), when I turn off my wireless lan it's gone (stable and absolute position)... maybe this helps...

EDIT: By the way, when my mouse isn't bugging, it does work here...

This post was edited on 04-09-2005 at 04:02 PM by Exca.
But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
04-09-2005 04:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by exca
Do you use a drawingtablet as mouse? Because a Wacom tablet can't handle radio interference, which you obviously have when using wireless lan. I have this problem too, even when i'm touching nothing, my mouse vibrates 1 pixel vertical or horizontal (this only happens sometimes, it depends how close my mouse is located to the edge of a pixel in the tablet, with some interference my mouse virtually moves across the edge to another pixel and then ofcourse it moves on my screen too, and back... complicated digital stuff:S), when I turn off my wireless lan it's gone (stable and absolute position)... maybe this helps...
yep indeed, and this can frequently happen to a normal mouse too btw (even with one with a cord)....

The idle thing in MSN Messenger is working fine with me (both MSN Messenger 6.2 and 7, with or without Plus!)

This post was edited on 04-09-2005 at 04:04 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-09-2005 04:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
fakefox

O.P. RE: RE: MSN doesn't show me as Away when I'm inactive
quote:
Originally posted by befraid
Same problem here. MSN Messenger 7.0 didn't fix it either. Have you found any solution to it yet Fakefox?

Sorry befraid, no solution to the problem yet.

quote:
Originally posted by exca
Do you use a drawingtablet as mouse? Because a Wacom tablet can't handle radio interference, which you obviously have when using wireless lan.

I just use a standard corded, optical mouse. I don't use WLAN either.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
yep indeed, and this can frequently happen to a normal mouse too btw (even with one with a cord)....

I've tried to replace my optical mouse with a old "tracball" mouse, but that didn't  help.

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 01:26 AM by fakefox.
04-11-2005 01:23 AM
Retibika

– / Male / –
You try run the messenger in administrator windows profile or any new profile. My original windows profile was wrong. I make a new win profile and messenger is good.

Good luck!
04-13-2005 04:12 PM
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
just plug out the mouse and then wait for 15 minutes and see if it goes inactive or not, only then you know sure it has nothing to do with the mouse
But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
04-13-2005 04:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: