What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Suggested modification to configuration wizard

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Suggested modification to configuration wizard
Author: Message:
zaidgs

– / Male / –
O.P. Suggested modification to configuration wizard
the wizard assumes always a new user. to make the wizard more useful, i suggest that the first or so screen asks user if he want to load settings from a file, or even better looks up for the default file name in my documents (default location) and if file was found prompt the user with a message like: "Previously saved settings detected: do you want to load setting from file "messenger plus! settings for user@hotmail.pld"?..... or a similar behaviour.

this will be really handy, because at several occasions after a fresh install of plus, u forget to load your settings, and then u gotta go to plus->preferences->import. but as this wizard apears after every fresh run for an account, you'll probably never forget to load your settings.

This post was edited on 03-21-2005 at 11:47 PM by zaidgs.
03-21-2005 11:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Suggested modification to configuration wizard
I agree that technically, it would be a good idea. However, the main pointof the wizard is to help people who know nothing about Plus! by presenting simple options... adding an extra window to ask to import previous settings whouldn't fit in this context :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-03-2005 11:41 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Suggested modification to configuration wizard
the wizard is a big help for noobs.... thats why it was added in first place i understand, but it is a little bit of anoyance for an old user: i thought it can become of good help for both

maybe that screen should only be shown if settings file was found in default location, otherwise be skipped. this way the noobs wont have an extra screen, yet existing users will have a great conveniece.

This post was edited on 04-04-2005 at 10:13 PM by zaidgs.
04-04-2005 10:03 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
A experienced user does as i do, doesnt run the wizard and configures it manually :rolleyes:
04-04-2005 10:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
zaidgs

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Suggested modification to configuration wizard
the wizard runs automatically when u first login.....
u got no option (i know of) to turn that off...
but as i said, this can still be usefull as u will not forget to load your settings as it happens to me sometimes after a fresh install....
04-04-2005 10:37 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Blah...experienced users(using your term) don't need that and the ones that never experienced msgplus! like patch said don't need that either...
04-04-2005 10:40 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
I think a good option would be to ask the user at the end of the installation of MsgPlus!
For example, at the end of the installation, on an extra page in the install wizard, a checkbox wich says "run configuration wizard when MSN Messenger is started for the first time" or something like that. When it is checked by default, most of the noobs will leave it checked and the experienced users can uncheck the option and won't run through the config wizard.
Btw, when this extra page is added to the installation wizard, a checkbox to not run MSN Messenenger after the completed installation of Messenger Plus! would be nice as well.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
04-04-2005 10:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
Why not just a registry entry to turn it on or off?
[Image: 7.png]
04-04-2005 11:11 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
maybe that screen should only be shown if settings file was found in default location, otherwise be skipped. this way the noobs wont have an extra screen, yet existing users will have a great conveniece.
not at all IMHO, not many advanced users save files and everything in the default locations...

(and when you install a new Messenger Plus!, your settings shouldn't be loaded anyway as they are still saved in the registry. Also, I would find it even more anoying when another window or whatever would popup and asking to load anything)

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Why not just a registry entry to turn it on or off?
indeed... that's much simpler and quicker then creating extra pages and options (if such a feature is added at all that is)...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-06-2005 11:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
zingbats

RE: RE: Suggested modification to configuration wizard
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
I think a good option would be to ask the user at the end of the installation of MsgPlus!
For example, at the end of the installation, on an extra page in the install wizard, a checkbox wich says "run configuration wizard when MSN Messenger is started for the first time" or something like that. When it is checked by default, most of the noobs will leave it checked and the experienced users can uncheck the option and won't run through the config wizard.
Btw, when this extra page is added to the installation wizard, a checkbox to not run MSN Messenenger after the completed installation of Messenger Plus! would be nice as well.

Seconded. Registry entries can get messy, and only advance users would be able to fiddle successfully.

Tick boxes have endless uses in terms of confirmations :)
04-07-2005 11:41 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: