What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Something has to be done

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
Something has to be done
Author: Message:
Caboose

35 / Male / –
RE: Something has to be done
I hate to be the minority in this, but I think c00ly has a point. The optional adware has steered away many potential Plus! users and it's a shame. Everyone here seems to ignore the original facts that c00ly posted, so here they are again:

Too many stupid people think one of two things:
1. they have to accept because its MsgPlus!'s linsence agreement. (which is quite obviously not the case)

2. They have no choice but to install spyware or else the program wont install (like may freeware programs [kazaa for one])

Now, pushing aside all the blame on the individual user, the fact remains: the normal person does not read the EULA's, because they're too damn long. I don't even read them for that fact alone. The normal person is also (no offense to anyone but it's true) stupid, in the sense that they're ignorant to things that should be manditory.

I'm not suggesting to remove the adware. A pop up window when the user chooses 'accept' notifying them that they don't need to install the sponsor to use Messenger Plus! would be nice, but it might also decrease Patchou's income significantly.

Maybe, if Patchou decides to do so, in the next version of Plus! he could add a popup window when the user clicks 'I accept', for that version only, then go back to how it is now so he could see the difference and compare them both (and maybe even post his findings to settle this, once and for all). Experimentation can do little harm, but it can spark great knowledge.

Just my 2 cents :)
03-22-2005 05:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Something has to be done
wow... if is in big black letters it must be true... :rolleyes:
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
03-22-2005 05:30 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
c00ly

CANADA RULES!!!

O.P. RE: Something has to be done
quote:
Originally posted by leo
No, no. Don't try to back away now.

You said it's time to change. You are ordering Patchou to remove the sponsor in the first post. Now you say you are "just saying adware is not the answer"?

Read my post again. It's asking Patchou to remove the adware, I dont know how clear you want me to be.

and agian, I have no answer but for patchou's income but banner ads or possibly a donate button here and there.

The fact still remains I strongly believe that people are smashing through installs

or

they think they have no choice but to agree

even on a program without ad support you usually cant install the program unless you agree to the lisence.

hey, you guys are all hippicrits anyways, when a new MSN Messenger 7 Beta comes out you have it installed in minutes :o , it would take a while to read every last word of that EULA.

c00ly
03-22-2005 05:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
Hey c00ly if patchou was to remove the optional adware then the only other way he could get money was to start chargeing people to use plus! and we all know that we dont want that to happen so lets just stick with the optional adware from c2media and personally i think its nice and im probally gonna reinstall plus in a bit with the sponser.
03-22-2005 05:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
c00ly

CANADA RULES!!!

O.P. RE: Something has to be done
You think adware is nice? Did you just choose to hear what you want to hear?

I can't stress this enough, Symantec one of the leading virus prevention and internet security companies considers adware (the thing you think is nice) to be a form of virus!!!
c00ly
03-22-2005 05:57 AM
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by c00ly

I can't stress this enough, Symantec one of the leading virus prevention and internet security companies considers adware (the thing you think is nice) to be a form of virus!!!

but is not, im sick of watching this kind of threads. the sponsor is optional, so whats the point? Patchou needs to get money and i agree with the sponsor ;) keep the good work coming Patchou, also he gives away money to charity and that kind of things, that is a good action and talks by itself, like i said stop making this kind of threads, the sponsor stay and thats all. :)
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
03-22-2005 06:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by c00ly

and its optional.....so are you going to accept the option to install a 'virus' (in symnatecs terms)??? :tongue:

if they're stupid enough to not read what they are accepting they deserve this so called 'virus' then :tongue: :refuck:

if the spyware wasnt optional and you HAD to install it, then id see what you mean. but the fact you can freely reject to install it is why it shouldn't be removed. if you read what your installing....you dont get the adware, if you don't read and just click next and accept everything, you'll get the spyware....2 paths....pick 1...simple

This post was edited on 03-22-2005 at 07:56 AM by M73A.

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
03-22-2005 07:56 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

They should read, its not Patchou's fault that they don't read, the sponsor program has been there for a while, we have always helped people and made them understand the truth about the sponsor program, it really isn't his problem what people say, he needs the money that he gets from the sponsor to earn an income, he has tried many other methods of gaining money, asking people to donate, ads on his website, but the major source of his income is coming from the sponsor program, he won't remove it, its as clear as water that you can press 'i refuse', heck, its the easiest adware I've ever removed to be honest :|.

They don't have to necesserally read the EULA's either, its just a massive contract, just read around the page, and you'll see that its the sponsor program...
03-22-2005 08:15 AM
TaKYoN

ED-209

OK I see things this way, Plus is awesome, but I gotta agree that something needs to be done. 

There is no point saying ppl should read the agreement, ppl do not do that, how many of you just click accept all the way thru?  Everyone has done that before, noobs need educating not dismissing.

Maybe a pop-up stsating it is optional is a good way forward, it would not scare ppl, how could a window saying "Please support me by installing this adware(or whatever it is these days), if you choose not to install it then plus will still be fully functional."

I do not see any Donation buttons on the front page, does Patchou even accept donations like this? 

If he does plz point me in th diretion, cos a quick glance at the front page was fruitless.

Oh and yes, I know many ppl who have started to install, got to the adware screen and not read it properly and just cancelled.  In my experience ppl, especially noobs, will pay attention to a pop-up during an install, simply because it is there to get your attention.
[Image: taksig.jpg] Still British.  Still proud.
03-22-2005 09:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
I never said adware its sell is nice. What I was implying was that I think its nice to install the sponser so that way it helps patchou.

Oh and so what if i have selective hearing/reading :dodgy:
03-22-2005 09:49 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: