What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Something has to be done

Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
Something has to be done
Author: Message:
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Something has to be done
Weird, I don't have that problem. *-)

Pop-ups, sure. Homepage changes, yes. Also, anti-stuff programs rely on notifying everything to people, especially MSAS.

* L. Coyote opens IE and clicks the sponsor. :cheesy:

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 02:22 AM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

03-23-2005 02:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Ok I am sick and tired of threads like this being created everytime their is a new release of Messenger Plus!. Since Patchou has incorporated the Optional Sponsor program he has had nothing but bad reviews from people who do not read and blame all their problems on Plus!. Which back when it was added it caused alot of problems. But since then has been rectified. Patchou has asked the creator of the sponsor to remove all adult oriented material, stop from changing PC Name on a network etc. The sponsor application now creates desktop icons, a search bar, adds favourites and changes the home page which compared the the first version is quite different.

c00ly: If Patchou could remove the sponsor and still make a living don't you think he would have done so already? Seriously Google ads don't payout a lot compared to the Sponsor program (which only pays for use of the search bar from what I understand). The Sponsor has paid for the servers that these forums are hosted on. You seem to think that an application that makes little changes to your system is harmful. What about all the applications that contain multiple system altering applications like Bargains, New Dot Net, Internet Optimizer and so forth. Don't you feel that those companies should remove theirs as well? If not then why do you have such a biased opinion about the Plus! Sponsor? The program isn't going to fuck up your computer as people claim it does. People who do Computer Programming for a living have a hard life. Programming is a job and takes hours on end but it is not a forever job. You are approached when a project is needed, once its complete your get your money and wait for another project which could be months or years then what are you going to do? You have a house, car, bills, and most of all you need to eat. If you don't have an income for a bit you may be forced to eat Kraft Dinner or nothing at all. I am sick and tired of the past people who have bitched about the Plus! Sponsor, the people in the future who will, and you for having such a narrow minded view on the situation. Patchou needs to eat and pay bills. Are you going to pay him for his work? Trust me, you couldn't afford him. So with all that said lets stop the talk about "Patchou should remove the sponsor" because the guy has to eat period!

TaKYoN: How can you sit there and suggest to have a pop box to tell people that the following license agreement is for the Plus! Sponsor? If Patchou were to do that then no one would install the Plus! Sponsor (which is harmless) and Patchou would go hungry because he wouldn't be making any money from it. And he would be forced to do one of two things.

1) Completly stop the development of Messenger Plus!
2) Make Messenger Plus! payable (meaning you have to pay for it to use it.)

I don't think anyone wants that to happen to such a great program. Messenger Plus! is not like the episode from the Simpsons where Homer becomes someone who wants to protect others through signs so he puts up signs for the slightest thing like Sign Up Ahead > Crack Sidewalk Up Ahead > 10ft till cracked Sidewalk > 5ft till cracked Sidewalk > 4ft till cracked Sidewalk > 3ft till cracked Sidewalk > 2ft till cracked Sidewalk > 1ft till cracked Sidewalk > Cracked Side Walk here. Patchou already gives users multiple screens talking about the Plus! Sponsor so what more do you want? While people will actually read the alert box the images and extra screens should be enough, if they don't pay any attention then they deserve what they get. I can only see someone agreeing to a license that said "by installing our application you will pay us $10 each month for the use and $100 a month after uninstallation" and bitching because they didn't read. I have personally talked to Patchou about having a pop box previously to any thread posted on the forum and his answer will stay the same as it was back then. No. Symantec may classify adware as a virus but the actual definition of adware isn't the same as a virus. The main objective of a virus is to "replicate itself" adware just provides ads. Big difference.

The donation link was on Patchou's original page when Messenger Plus! was version 1.42.

In conclusion: Programmers need an income to support their life. Ads just don't cut it. And programmers don't get enough projects a year to be able to support themselves. The Plus! Sponsor is harmless so let it be. Go do something usless and bitch about programs that actually harms your computer because we are all sick and tired of your type bitching about the Sponsor. No one has succeeded with their attempts to have Patchou change the installer to fit their needs so please stop trying.

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 03:31 AM by matty.
03-23-2005 03:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
(b) Matty.... that had to be sayed...

Yeah, I agee with every word you just said... Patchou has to eat and thats the end of it...

whenever these fellows have a family to feed... or even have a job for that matter,  theyll understand that working for free sucks....

EDIT: Dodgy mod for deleting my post while i was editing it... :P
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
03-23-2005 03:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Caboose

35 / Male / –
I understand that Patchou has to eat, and live, and that he can only do that with the sponsor program. But... you know what? Fuck it. No one even acknowledges anything that I've said, even though it's the truth. I want to stand up for Patchou just as much as anyone else here. I now have the sponsor installed and I'm supporting Patchou, so I'm not a bad guy. I just wanted to present the facts.

Moving on... >_>

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 03:43 AM by Caboose.
03-23-2005 03:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
c00ly

CANADA RULES!!!

O.P. RE: Something has to be done
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
Originally posted by c00ly
btw a pop-up box would be perfect, because serioulsy people read every word on one. the major preoblem is people think they have no choice but to install it.
if people dont read all the warnings that are displayed during the setup, why would they read the pop up? it would be EXACTLY the same.

And over 2 million people download Messenger Plus! every month (just check msgplus.net) so i think you are over exagerating with "no one trusts Plus! anymore"

Umm. no, there is absolutly no way of knowing how many people download and install plus!. Ok lets say Clicks on the download button. No, I myself have downloaded and install plus on numerous systems, I'm only one person. :o and, I myself have re-installed plus on my machines too, along with upgrades and such. Ok now lets say Unique IP adresses. Did you know all of AOL has the same IP? And did you know my ISP changes every clients IP every 3 or so days? And did you know my ISP is the most popular ISP in my area. What else you got?

No, the last time I checked when my Grandma, whos not so technologically advanced, (she just got a computer for email a year ago) sees "Warning your computer could have viruses" and "Shoot the monkey to win a trip" she knows not to click OK.

The point is people really read pop-ups, they want to know if somethings really wrong.

Not to insult Patchou. Infact Patchou is very cool for making qulaity ad-ons. But maybe in order to earn income he could actually work for Microsoft and MSN Messenger.

Heck, why not start making things official. After all 3rd party is never "officially" supported.

They should together work on MSNM as one big happy family.

I'm telling you the numbers are dropping, you can choose not to listen.

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 04:26 AM by c00ly.
c00ly
03-23-2005 04:24 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Umm. no, there is absolutly no way of knowing how many people download and install plus!. Ok lets say Clicks on the download button. No, I myself have downloaded and install plus on numerous systems, I'm only one person. and, I myself have re-installed plus on my machines too, along with upgrades and such. Ok now lets say Unique IP adresses. Did you know all of AOL has the same IP? And did you know my ISP changes every clients IP every 3 or so days? And did you know my ISP is the most popular ISP in my area. What else you got?
Exact figures (correct till one unique download/install) are of course not known. But take all those "double" installs away, and you still are left with millions... FYI, downloads and also installs CAN be known.

quote:
I'm telling you the numbers are dropping, you can choose not to listen.
How do you know that? Do you monitor the Plus! server? I think not...

quote:
No, the last time I checked when my Grandma, whos not so technologically advanced, (she just got a computer for email a year ago) sees "Warning your computer could have viruses" and "Shoot the monkey to win a trip" she knows not to click OK.

The point is people really read pop-ups, they want to know if somethings really wrong.
So, now you're saying they read stuff? ^o)

c00ly, let it be, everything so far discussed, suggested or even slithly touched in this thread has been extensivly covered before. If you want to know more about why your suggestions aren't good or how things work, then please do search the forums. If you don't wanna change your opinion, then that's absolutely and perfectly fine, but don't continue in this circular debate because nothing new will be said and nothing new will be replied.

If you do happen to have a proper solution (eg: a bussiness contract, or a sponsor which pays for the servers, hosting, income, etc...) then let it know, but until you don't have physical and concrete stuff like that please let it be....

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 04:47 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-23-2005 04:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
c00ly, you seem to want a PSP so bad... you do know that the PSPs were purchased with the money provided by the Sponsors for users of Plus! using the software? You seem to not realize what Patchou does. He gave away Game Cubes with the Messenger Plus! 2 release, he donated money to the Tsunami releif in our name (the community, which I feel is giving it a bad name because if it weren't for the Plus! Sponsor no money would have been contributed), and now is giving away PSPs and a Laptop. All these giveaways were made possible because of the Plus! Sponsor, so with that said... just fuck off and get a life cause no one cares that your friends are iliterate when it comes to reading screens on their computer when they are initiating the installation for a program.
03-23-2005 04:45 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
did you know= symantec now considers adware to be a form of virus?

quote:
I can't stress this enough, Symantec one of the leading virus prevention and internet security companies considers adware (the thing you think is nice) to be a form of virus!!!

Get your facts straight

Symantec does NOT classify Adware as a Virus. The two highlighted
terms mean completely seperate things.  I should know, I have spent at least 2 days
reading stuff on the Symantec website (ask anyone who knows me!).

The fact is, Symantec defines Adware as a Security Risk and Viruses
as Security Threats.

quote:
Originally posted by Symantec Security Response

Programs that facilitate delivery of advertising content to the user through their own window, or by utilizing another program's interface. In some cases, these programs may gather information from the user's computer, including information related to Internet browser usage or other computing habits, and relay this information back to a remote computer or other location in cyber-space.

A Security RISK is something that can compromise your security, and as you see above,
Adware is a chosen mechanism, in most cases.  A security threat usually finds its way
into your computer through a backdoor.

Your thread is stupid and has caused nothing but anger throughout the community and I
am ashamed that you call yourself a Plus! Supporter, because you clearly are not.  Grow
up and tell your friends to read the sponsor, you've disgusted me.

</defend symantec>
03-23-2005 05:26 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: