What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Monitor problems

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Monitor problems
Author: Message:
stuff2do

Kill Bush for $2 paypal

34 / Male / –
RE: Monitor problems
i have a 17 inch CRT monitor, i spend up to 10 hours a day on it, and i dont get sore eyes, yes TFT or LCD are better on your eyes

i hope you find this useful

quote:
How To Buy Monitors
By Charles Dejongh

If you are buying a new computer system that comes with a new monitor or if you are buying a new monitor you need not worry too much about the specifications.  Most of the new monitors today are pretty good. If you are buying an older or used computer or replacing your  monitor then you will have to be careful because some of the older monitors or computers do not support the latest graphics. Monitor prices are pretty reasonable today so I would stay away from buying a used one.

There are several factors you should consider when choosing monitors. For a desktop computer, If you will be using it a lot, choose a monitor that will be easy on your eyes. You can buy Antiglare filter screens that fit on your monitor to cut down on the glare.  The Flat screen CRT's usually have better Specifications then a regular CRT and they cut down on glare and distortion. Don't get these confused with Flat Panel LCD screens.

Get a color monitor. Standard monitor size is normally 15 inches but you can buy a 17 inch or larger screen to make it easier on your eyes.

A dot pitch of .27 is better than .28. The smaller the number the better,  and a sharper image you will have.

The higher the refresh rate or vertical frequency (Measured in Hz) the less flicker you will see in your monitor. Less flicker can be less tiring on your eyes especially if you will be using your computer for long periods. If you want a real good monitor try to get one with a rate of 75Hz or higher for a 17 inch screen and 85Hz or higher for larger screen sizes.

Get a non-interlaced type monitor. A Non interlaced type monitor refreshes every line on the screen while interlaced only refreshes every other line on the screen. A non interlaced monitor will also have less flicker.

Flat Panel (LCD) Monitors

The new Flat Panel LCD (liquid crystal display) monitors are great for an office to save space and use half the power of CRT monitors but you are going to have to pay a lot higher price as compared with the conventional CRT (cathode-ray tube) type for one with a reasonable display image. You can get an excellent and larger CRT monitor for the money you would spend on a an OK  Flat Panel LCD. If you are into computer gaming I would not even consider getting one due to the graphics response rates.

The Advantages of Flat Panel LCD monitors are:

No Flicker - less eye strain

Less Distortion

Uses less power

Takes up less space

Heat and Radiation emissions are less

Glare - Less eye strain

The Disadvantages of Flat Panel LCD monitors are:

costly

lower price models may have problems such as missing pixels in spots or fuzzy images.

In Summary: The disadvantage of a flat panel LCD screen are images are not as sharp and detailed. You also have to look at the screen straight on because the display viewed from an angle is not that good. If you like to play games or work with a lot of graphics on your computer stick with a CRT monitor.. I would recommend a Flat screen CRT. So if you must get a flat panel LCD don't get a cheap one!  Expect to pay for a fair LCD.

Things to look for:

!. Viewing angle in degrees. - how far you can get away from the center of the screen before pictures becomes hard to see.

2. Brightness - ( measured in cd/m 2 or nits ) the higher the number the better

3..Active-matrix displays which use TFT (Thin Film transistors ) are best but cost more than Passive-matrix displays

4. Refresh Rate - Because of the way LCD screens monitors are made they really do not produce flicker and there is no need to look at refresh rates.

5. Look for a good dead pixel warranty. according to the article "Consumers see red over dead pixels" on c/net some companies like Samsung have a  "no dead pixels" policy on some LCD monitors.

Taken From:  http://thepcyoubuy.com/page4.html

hopefully that should help you in determining the best monitor to buy
03-26-2005 05:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Yeah, I'd get a TFT or LCD monitor, they are a lot nicer to look at for long periods, but there are a few things you could try.

When you use your monitor make sure that you have a light on in the background and that the room is well iluminated.

Go into your display settings (on your computer) and turn the refresh (Hz) rate of the monitor up to the highest it will go.

Move Your monitor as far back as possible.

Lower the brightness and contrast of your monitor.

A TFT monitor is a lot easier on the eyes, I found it took me a while to get used to my TFT, whenever I looked away from it for the first few days I saw a few lines for 3 seconds, that seems to have stopped after a day or so...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-26-2005 05:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stuff2do

Kill Bush for $2 paypal

34 / Male / –
yup, we were told to always use a well illuminated, and also, and to be comfotable at a computer, always use a chair your comfortable in, and a keyboard wrist wrest for less strain, and a 30 minute break every 2 hours, i confess i dont follow it
03-26-2005 06:09 PM
Dragonfrog

It is always fun to share

66 / Male / –
I have here to repair one LCD 15" monitor Xplio PN:FM678 15 inch
the guy both it 9 month ago in toronto for 200.00 and the picxel or alraydy fuck and wee see only some line.
try to find some speck (yes in chinesse language but find nothing in English) and do not find service repair in North america to now anyway, I will not buy that compagny Xplio, look like to be the first generation of lcd and went the work 24h/24h they broke fast

'have fun with your search for a LCD but by experience of BC under 300.00 is not recent shit.
Dragonfrog

good to see you again The_Thief
DRagonFrog
05-17-2005 05:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Shezi

...Feel tHe cHanGe...

39 / Male / –
follow the suggestions given above and also have a look on Save ur EyeZ thread...:)
05-17-2005 08:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qune

quote:
Originally posted by The_Thief
Over the last several days my eyes have been really hurting me after staring into a 17 CRT monitor for more than 15 min at a time...do you think it would be better to get an LCD Screen?
what's your screens current refresh rate?.. if possible, rise it to 85 or 100Hz... since 74Hz and less can affect a human eye quite a lot, it's still not recommended to use the refresh rate as low as 75 (which most of the people think is fine)...
05-18-2005 11:24 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: