What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor
Author: Message:
segosa
Community's Choice

O.P. MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor
I've made a simple program which will turn Messenger Plus Sound Packs (*.plp) into separate mp3 files of each sound contained within the sound pack.

It's pretty self explanatory: choose a sound pack, choose a destination directory and go. They're stored as *.mp3 and the filename is the sound's name.

Let me know of any bugs and such, if you find any. I've done some extensive error checking and it only crashes if you hex edit the *.plp file and remove large portions of it :P, it's fairly stable otherwise.

Fixed in 1.0.2:

- For Unicode sounds, it'll make the filename u<soundID> where <soundID> is the sound's ID.
- It will convert characters not allowed in filenames ( \/*:<>|? ) into _ (it used to just fail).

Fixed in 1.0.1:

- If the directory is C:\ it doesn't append another \
- At the end it will say the actual amount of sounds that were extracted. It used to say the number of sounds there were and ignored any failed ones.

.zip File Attachment: soundpack extractor1.0.2.zip (13.87 KB)
This file has been downloaded 11611 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-04-2007 at 09:50 PM by segosa.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
03-29-2005 03:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor
nice (Y)

works fine :)
03-29-2005 03:50 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Really good idea. I've only been using it for a few minutes, but it is useful for soundbites I want to use for other things.
I don't suppose this is going to be open source at any point? I'd just like to know how it works a bit more. Curiousity only :p
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-29-2005 04:31 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

O.P. RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

I don't suppose this is going to be open source at any point? I'd just like to know how it works a bit more. Curiousity only :p

Sure, when MsgPlus becomes open source :P

Nah, we'll see...
03-29-2005 05:06 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
I've made a simple program which will turn Messenger Plus Sound Packs (*.plp) into seperate mp3 files of each sound contained within the sound pack.
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse :)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
03-29-2005 07:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse

except it wouldnt be possible as sounds need to be added by plus! so that they get sent to the server and get assigned a hash
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
03-29-2005 07:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

O.P. RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse

except it wouldnt be possible as sounds need to be added by plus! so that they get sent to the server and get assigned a hash

Indeed. There was another thread about it but I can't find it anymore. Patchou also said that he didn't want anything contacting the sound server apart from MsgPlus. :p
04-02-2005 06:39 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
And that dodgy mfc tester :dodgy: :P
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
04-02-2005 06:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Cool program, Segosa! (H)
It's really skilful!
Now I can use plp's as music library's: create with MsgPlus!, extract with MsgPlus! Sound Pack Extractor. :P
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
04-02-2005 08:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
I've made a simple program which will turn Messenger Plus Sound Packs (*.plp) into seperate mp3 files of each sound contained within the sound pack.
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse :)
MP3 to Plus! .dat or .plp? Not possible, unless you make your own MP3 decompressor, decoder and compressor, encoder and have a massive knowledge of the MP3 structure and compressing and encoding (which is copyrighted by the way). And I can tell you that that is a massive and complicated job. Use the integrated Lame encoder in Plus! instead...

If you mean Plus! .dat to .plp., then that's dead easy (I'm already planning on making a full Winzip-like .plp editor; the "complicated" part is the UI, as many many possebilities you can do with it exist. And it must be n00b proof :p).

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
No. When you create your own Plus! sound from a existing file or recording source, the sound is not sent to the server at all.  The hash is created when you create the sound, it isn't the server that returns the hash. The hash is part of the sound format. It is only the first time you sent the new created sound to someone in a conversation, that it will be uploaded to the server (and rejected if it is malformed).

quote:
Let me know of any bugs and such, if you find any. I've done some extensive error checking and it only crashes if you hex edit the *.plp file and remove large portions of it :P, it's fairly stable otherwise.
How far do you wanna go in sound file error checking? eg: there are sounds which aren't properly created (mainly sounds created in the first days, let's call them the "beta-test sounds" :p, but current sounds also exist which are also not well formed though). Although the MP3 will be played, on most players, the MP3 data stream itself isn't a properly created. (not @ segosa but for others: the reason why they still will be played is because of the nature of the MP3 structure). You could easly auto-fix these sounds if you do some further checking on them and the Plus! hash.

I also encountered recent Plus! sounds which have a bad last audio frame. Dunno how accurate this is (must do further checking on that frame) or how the possible bad frame got there (bug in Lame3.96?). But this can be checked also...

Also something you could do is to check for inproper/corrupted .plp files and do some errorchecking on them, and even fix stuff.

Also something I would do is to add an ID3v2.x tag to the MP3 to make it properly readable by all players (some just ignore the ID3v1.0 tag). And while doing so, fix the "Plus! style" ID3v1.0 tag into a proper "MP3" ID3v1.0 tag.

It all depends on how far you wanna take this though....
Just some random pointers ;)

This post was edited on 04-02-2005 at 02:40 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-02-2005 02:21 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: