What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Reformating without loosing files?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Reformating without loosing files?
Author: Message:
Striker

40 / Male / –
RE: Reformating without loosing files?
well, heres another option, although risky, i have done it before when i had only one parition.
I defraged my comp about 3-4 times in hopes that all the files went to the beginning of my hard drive. Then i used parition magic, got the new parition. Formated the parition, then moved the files over. I can't remmeber if i lost any files over that though.. but i do add, it is risky..
other than that.. all the other options mentioned are good.. once you get your hard drive paritioned once,, you'll wonder why you never did it before.. i always parition hard drives when i put together a comp for someon else
03-30-2005 12:11 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Striker
well, heres another option, although risky, i have done it before when i had only one parition.
I defraged my comp about 3-4 times in hopes that all the files went to the beginning of my hard drive. Then i used parition magic, got the new parition. Formated the parition, then moved the files over. I can't remmeber if i lost any files over that though.. but i do add, it is risky..
other than that.. all the other options mentioned are good.. once you get your hard drive paritioned once,, you'll wonder why you never did it before.. i always parition hard drives when i put together a comp for someon else

You call that risky? When you put the OS back and that stuff the files the OS puts on the hard drive may be put over the files he had before. Its very risky.

I dont know if understood well but you telling him to format it (when you people fromat a hd the files dont go away they still there but the access to them is "deleted" and the hd after that, gets the info that the space left by tthat files is free.) and then use a program to recover them? Its very risky...
03-30-2005 12:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
Does your computers run on the same router?
If so its easy..

You can just log on from both computers on to messenger. And send files that way. It wont take long because its from the same internet connection. It will run at like 5 megs a second.

This post was edited on 03-30-2005 at 05:35 AM by .Roy.
03-30-2005 05:34 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
Just by reformatting a Computer's HDD isnt gonna delete or get rid of Viruses, depending on the Virus itself,
03-30-2005 06:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by lp15
hey.. im trying to reformat my CPU

Borrow someones dvd burner and back it up

Just a note CPU Is centreal processing unit.. IM not sure you want to reformat that :p
What you mean to say is you want to format your hdd or your PC..
03-30-2005 08:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Reformating without loosing files?
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
quote:
Originally posted by Striker

You call that risky? When you put the OS back and that stuff the files the OS puts on the hard drive may be put over the files he had before. Its very risky.

I dont know if understood well but you telling him to format it (when you people fromat a hd the files dont go away they still there but the access to them is "deleted" and the hd after that, gets the info that the space left by tthat files is free.) and then use a program to recover them? Its very risky...

No, Striker didn't meant that at all... What Striker said is not risky at all (if you know what you're doing).

It is in fact the way you should do it when you have nothing to store your files on:

1) Defragment your entire HD (best to do this in Safe Mode!)
2) Make another partition with PartitionMagic which can hold your files you wish to back up
3) Move the files you want to keep from the old partition to the just created partition.
4) Format the old partition.
5) Install OS on old partition.
6) Move your files back from second partition to old partition.
7) Make the two partitions into 1 again with PartitionMagic.

note1: This is just a big outline of the steps you can/must follow. Of course there are smaller steps in between, like rebooting, checking if things are ok, installing PartitionMagic, etc...
note2: This only works properly if your HD isn't full of course. If it is, you can't create another partition (or not one big enough to hold your files you which to keep)

Although deframenting isn't realy necessary, it is highly recommended. But this has nothing todo with overwriting files or data. If you defragment first, then PartitionMagic, or the likes, will not have to do it (or do it less), simple as that...

This post was edited on 03-30-2005 at 10:58 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-30-2005 10:55 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lp15
yes i do i got 2 other pcs and is there a way to tranfer them without using cdsor hardrives or usb cables? like by net.. i heard something about a shared folder once.. how does that work? i tried to do a network thing didnt seem to work..
Both of your computers need a network card.
Do they have one?
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
03-30-2005 11:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Demz
Just by reformatting a Computer's HDD isnt gonna delete or get rid of Viruses, depending on the Virus itself,
Yes it will, I remember hearing about someones plan to make a virus that could hide itself in the BIOS, never actually worked though. As long as the back-up disks don't contain the virus (which they very likely could depending on the virus), he should be ok.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-30-2005 11:54 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: