What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Reformating without loosing files?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Reformating without loosing files?
Author: Message:
The Napster

I seriously need to change this pic

– / Male / –
RE: Reformating without loosing files?
If you want to back em up on a DVD, u need a DVD burner. So forget that, unles ur gonna go out and by a DVD burner. BTW DVDs (4.7Gbs) only fit around 4.4Gbs of raw data :P

I'd do what Hobbes said, put all ur music on a normal CD, as data. Like this u can fit 700MB music per CD. Thats about 7-8 CDs.

Anyways the Partition Magic would prob take just as long, anyways then there might be som complications...

Edit: Do you have another PC, where you could temporarily save the 5Gbs of Music on?

This post was edited on 03-29-2005 at 06:45 PM by The Napster.
[Image: globesig2.png]
03-29-2005 06:38 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lp15
quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield

Bah, PartitionMagic let's you. Although I'd just get an external harddrive and backup to that then reformat.

I tried that once didnt know how to create new partitions..
There are wizards at the bottom left side...you use those...when you're  finished making changes you click the "apply" button and PM will do the rest (don't interfere the process).

This post was edited on 03-29-2005 at 06:40 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-29-2005 06:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
If you want to back em up on a DVD, u need a DVD burner. So forget that, unles ur gonna go out and by a DVD burner.

I'd do what Hobbes said, put all ur music on a normal CD, as data. Like this u can fit 700MB music per CD. Thats about 7-8 CDs.
Yep.
But it depends how much mb he has in a cd. You should stick with what u have right now. It doesnt take that much time and its really easy and simple. Do it while you do your homework so you wont waste time.
03-29-2005 06:40 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
hey.. im trying to reformat my cpu
First of all it isn't your CPU you're formating it's your hard drive. They are two totally different things.

quote:
so as u can guess well forget the cds..
I'd back it up onto CDs, you can get a load of blank CD-Rs cheap now. And 5gb isn't that much to back up onto multiple CDs.

Just so you know, before you format your drive make sure that the version of windows (probabally XP you're getting) will work on your computers specificaions and that you can install an old version of windows onto your computer that most likely came with it. That way you only have to buy the XP upgrade disk for your computer, rather than the full thing.

quote:

.. ye but thats long to do.. cant i burn songs on a dvd cd?
even if i dont have a dvd burner?
You can burn music files onto a DVD as data, but not without a DVD ReWritable drive. And there's no such thing as a DVD-CD.

quote:

.. ye but thats long to do..
Not really, it'll take you an hour, tops to do it. If you get fast writing disks it shouldn't be long at all...

This post was edited on 03-29-2005 at 06:53 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-29-2005 06:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
The_Thief

The man with a thousand sites :D

48 / Male / –
Burn whatever files you have on a CD Burner or DVD Burner then reformat
03-29-2005 06:49 PM
ProblemWv Authority

34 / Male / Flag
On the recovery disk don't they normally have an option to format the drive totally and one where you keep all your document files? It does on mine...
www.myspace.com/farewellcity
03-29-2005 06:58 PM
The Napster

I seriously need to change this pic

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
On the recovery disk don't they normally have an option to format the drive totally and one where you keep all your document files? It does on mine...
I think on XP you could do that, but it dosent get rid of the Viruses and Ad-/Spyware, as it just re-installs crucial Windows Files. (i Think correct me if im wrong)
[Image: globesig2.png]
03-29-2005 07:05 PM
net-cruizer

TCP Junkie

– / Male / –
I think the easiest and fastes way would be to create a 2nd partition, and move the files you want saved, to that partition.
I've been usin comps for many many years, and only reformatted due to screwed OS once, and that wasn't from viruses, was from a beta of SP2, lol. Anyways, I already had made an extra partion long befor that, and most of my programs were installed in a folder called "Program Files 2", and all my mp3s, videos, etc etc, were on that partition, so I still had pretty much everything after I reformatted the main partition and reinstalled XP SP1.
03-29-2005 07:33 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Reformating without loosing files?
aight well thx a lot to every1 for the answer..
but I had a question to the napster
quote:
Originally posted by The Napster

Edit: Do you have another PC, where you could temporarily save the 5Gbs of Music on?

yes i do i got 2 other pcs and is there a way to tranfer them without using cdsor hardrives or usb cables? like by net.. i heard something about a shared folder once.. how does that work? i tried to do a network thing didnt seem to work..
03-29-2005 09:24 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
just google home networking... firstly i really dont think you are in the position to be tackleing a big project like this by yourself, asking a knolageable friend would probably be best instead of redoing your compututer yourself.. it really isnt that hard as long as you dont screw anything up though.
03-29-2005 10:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: